Some early season stats

dwmyers

Reaction score
Every year I calculate some numbers, based on scoring patterns. One of the more useful is SRS, or the simple ranking (or rating) system. In essence this is a defense adjusted margin of victory. I'm also looking at football outsiders, and their numbers (which are PBP based and thus measure more than just scoring).

In overall SRS, Dallas ranks third. Buffalo is first, but its enormous SRS also sports a really low strength of schedule measure, under -5. In fact I'd say for now, because of weak opponents, both BUF and DEN are overrated.

Dallas's record has come against much tougher opposition, and in fact by SRS calculated SOS, Dallas has had the toughest schedule of any top 10 team.

In OSRS, an offensive measure, a kind of defense adjusted points for, Dallas is ranked second, with only Kansas City better. In DSRS, Dallas is middle of the pack, with a DSRS of -0.76.

Currently in DVOA, Dallas is ranked second, behind Buffalo. It has the third ranked offense and an above average defense. Of top ten teams, Dallas has gone through the second toughest schedule; only Kansas City tougher.

For now, Arizona is our closest match in the NFC.

D-