Some early week thoughts and ideas!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-This sounds crazy, but our run defense might actually improve without DLaw, Parsons in the lineup. I saw two undisciplined players that struggled setting the edge. No doubt their loss will affect our pass rush.

-Zimmer is going to have to be creative trying to manufacture pressure as the corner position opposite Diggs is a real problem. Believe we are going to see a lot of blitzing from the linebacker position to generate a rush.

-Saw this on another site recently and it doesn't sound crazy if bridges weren't burned, Why not try to reacquire Amari Cooper via trade for the rest of the season. He is playing on his last yr of his contract and would instantly upgrade the #2 WR spot. Browns aren't going anywhere this season. Perhaps a day 3 pick could get it done. All the team would have to do is absorb in contract for the rest of the season.

-Something has to be done to kickstart our rushing attack. The offense is going to have to protect the defense the next few weeks and the best way to do that is possessing the football and keeping them fresh. They have to give Dalvin Cook his turn, before looking outside on the trade market.

-I remember the Cowboys shifted their OL to protect Doug Free years ago, perhaps they need to do the same for Guyton.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-This sounds crazy, but our run defense might actually improve without DLaw, Parsons in the lineup. I saw two undisciplined players that struggled setting the edge. No doubt their loss will affect our pass rush.

-Zimmer is going to have to be creative trying to manufacture pressure as the corner position opposite Diggs is a real problem. Believe we are going to see a lot of blitzing from the linebacker position to generate a rush.

-Saw this on another site recently and it doesn't sound crazy if bridges weren't burned, Why not try to reacquire Amari Cooper via trade for the rest of the season. He is playing on his last yr of his contract and would instantly upgrade the #2 WR spot. Browns aren't going anywhere this season. Perhaps a day 3 pick could get it done. All the team would have to do is absorb in contract for the rest of the season.

-Something has to be done to kickstart our rushing attack. The offense is going to have to protect the defense the next few weeks and the best way to do that is possessing the football and keeping them fresh. They have to give Dalvin Cook his turn, before looking outside on the trade market.

-I remember the Cowboys shifted their OL to protect Doug Free years ago, perhaps they need to do the same for Guyton.
Maybe Cook is that kickstart, maybe giving the ball more to Rico and cutting someone would take the pressure off knowing someone is behind him, MAYBE as someone said, Luepke might be that new factor

As far as the defense, wouldn't it be something if the Cowboys did better on defense without Law and Micah?? We'll do well and they'll hype everything up about how much better we'll be with the new defense playing better and Micah and d-law returning, uhhh NO!!!!!

Praxit

Reaction score

yes, the irony in that statement. If DL can just stay disciplined and eat up the blockers, freeing up the LB's. Will be fine.

Agreed, give Dalvin a chance. He might have just enough juice to get those 5-6 yd plays.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

First part is crazy....Zimmer putting Parsons on the inside shoulder of a T in a 3 point stance drives me crazy but aside from those plays where his is inside and just getting destroyed physically by a guy 80lbs heavier than he is I think this is the best run defense he has had since he came into the league. I'm not sure these edge guys are the issue many have made them out to be.

You're right about Zimmer needing to get creative. I'd love to see him give Overshown some more opportunities to pass rush.

Love the idea on Cooper. This team needs a guy who can run a full route tree. Coop in an offense where he is the #2 guy would be tough on defenses. I think you're right thought that bridge may be long gone, although in theory both sides know each other well so it could be a smooth transition.

sbark

Reaction score

D.Law undiciplined?
Run D has long been his forte'

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Love the idea on Cooper. This team needs a guy who can run a full route tree. Coop in an offense where he is the #2 guy would be tough on defenses. I think you're right thought that bridge may be long gone, although in theory both sides know each other well so it could be a smooth transition.
Agree but I doubt the Jones would consider it. Moving from Coop was a personal issue for them ......

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He certainly would open up our passing game and allow Lamb to see less double teams!
Im definitely on board with Cooper as long as they can patch things up. I just dont know either side is interested in that. There have been rumors floated amoungst beat guys that Dallas is considering a trade at WR.

Bagman

Reaction score

I LOVE the Amari idea but I'd bet the 2 stubborn billionaires running the team will draw the line on a guy who "defied" them during the pandemic. Jerry will fight to the death over stupid things but improving the team isn't one of them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
you have no idea how good you got it until you see the other side of the coin and I’d rather have Amari and his disappearing acts then what we have now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Saw this on another site recently and it doesn't sound crazy if bridges weren't burned, Why not try to reacquire Amari Cooper via trade for the rest of the season.
Folks, this just isn't happening. He is a former Cowboy for a reason.

Jerry isn't forgetting the reason he made that deal with Cleveland either. He accepted 5th just to get rid of Cooper.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The defense is built around Parsons and Tank. I think we are in big trouble. Maybe run 3/4 to get Clark on the field in some instances. I expect the Steelers to try and power run us and attack are second corner. Good news they have a bunch of injuries on the offensive line but Fields is just a step below Lamar as a runner. He played really well the last few weeks.

The Cooper bridge is burned. If he is available in a trade I think there would be lots of teams bidding for him. The cost could be as high as a 4th, I doubt if Jerry pays that price.

I don’t think the backs are special but are running scheme is trash. With our interior linemen I don’t understand how we are not opening up holes.

They are going to have to help Guyton this game or Dak is not making it out of Pittsburgh healthy.