Some facts about our much-maligned secondary...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
They lead the league in interceptions, with 8 (2 more than any other defense has at this point)... they rank 2nd in passes defensed, with 18...

After getting torched in the Giants' game, the Boys' defense has given up an average of 286.5 yards per game in the next two games, 218.5 yards per game passing...

The Boys currently rank tied for 2nd in most passing attempts against their defense, with 39 per game... of course, part of this is because their opponents have fallen behind, and needed to throw in an attempt to play catchup...

And of the teams with at least 37 pass attempts per game against them, the Boys have given up the fewest completions per game (22.3 per game), the lowest completion percentage (57.3 per cent)...

I'm making 2 points here-- 1) the Cowboys' pass defense stats are skewed a little by how often opponents are having to throw against them, because they're trying to come from behind... 2) after that miserable first game against the Giants, the Boys' pass defense has been rather good, actually...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
And getting better with Newman back, Henry jumping more routes since he trusts Hamlin and RW, and Reeves getting more confidence.

superpunk

Reaction score
Our philosophy is dictating that we will allow them to pass on us for the opportunity for big plays ion defense in the form of sacks or INTs. It's working so far against bad QBs, but there's really no way to sugar coat the amount of big plays that are being surrendered, or just how easy it is to complete that 10 yard stop against us until Roy decided "**** it - I'm jumping this."

Eventually, we've got to play a star. Big test against Bulger this week, no matter how much people are writing off the Rams. He's a good QB, and we haven't even gotten to Brady, yet.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
superpunk;1666244 said:
Our philosophy is dictating that we will allow them to pass on us for the opportunity for big plays ion defense in the form of sacks or INTs. It's working so far against bad QBs, but there's really no way to sugar coat the amount of big plays that are being surrendered, or just how easy it is to complete that 10 yard stop against us until Roy decided "**** it - I'm jumping this."

Eventually, we've got to play a star. Big test against Bulger this week, no matter how much people are writing off the Rams. He's a good QB, and we haven't even gotten to Brady, yet.
There's an article on here, I don't remember which one, but it was saying that they decided to give them all the underneath stuff in the 1st half, but in the second they decided to tighten up on the coverage.