Some good rants/observations

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Courtesy cowboysblog:

1. Defense was rather impressive in the first half, mixing things up and creating a little pressure, then in the second half we go right back to the four man rush with no pressure mixed with the prevent-looking zone that continues to be the Achilles heal of this defense. This has killed us all season long.

2. For the first time in forever, I thought Ware was invisible... not totally, but for the first 3 quarters, I didn't see him beat his guy at all. I may have to go back and watch the game again.

3. I don't care how many drops the guy has... you HAVE to call plays to get TO more involved in the game. Whether it's wrong or not, he just goes through the motions when he isn't involved early.

4. I really don't understand why this offense wasn't more effective? TO was drawing 2 guys every single play against the most banged up defensive backfield that I have seen in a long time. How could the offense not beat up the rest of the Hawks with the weapons that we have? Shows how pathetic the OL is I guess?

5. For every 1 good play that Roy Williams makes, he gives up 7 bad ones. I have never seen a guy take worse angles on plays with that much consistency. He is like a home run hitter that leads the league in strike-outs. He gives the common fan enough "big shiny home runs" to make them forget about the countless amount of strike-outs.

6. I have been a huge Romo fan this year and was "for sure" that he was the QB of the future... but right now, the numbers are starting to change my mind. Right now I'm about 50%/50%. He has shown me enough to make me think that he IS the guy, but just enough to make me think that he isn't. IMO it's a crap shoot going into next season.

7. Some of the calls in this game really had me scratching my head... I didn't see any definitive look that showed Witten coming up short on that 3rd down. Still, it shouldn't have come down to that IMO and we shouldn't look at that as the reason that we lost the game.

8. I think (and hope) that this game "broke" Bill Parcells. I have said it before, this teams schemes/philosophies are a reflection of him... not just this game, but all season long. The game has passed him by. These are his groceries, this is his meal that he made... and the results aren't there. Give me a younger, more aggressive HC that allows his assistants to do their jobs without the micro-managing.

posted by shawn & mike @ 10:48 PM 0 comments
Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda

A few crazy "what ifs" that I noticed tonight:

1.) What if any of the potential INTs would have been caught? Big point swings. The Newman drop looked to be the easiest. Instead of no points, they come away with 3.

2.) Is it just me or would you expect more of a push from Witten on the last pass? Great catch, granted, but he's SO much bigger than Tatupu...it's as if he ran into a wall. If only.

3.) How could this defense not know after the botched field goal attempt that Alexander wasn't going to get the ball? And then, to add insult, let him run (right up the middle again) for a 15+ run, essentially killing any chance of a comeback. Stop them at the 1 and the field is MUCH shorter for a drive to kick a field goal.

4.) I understand running the clock down and making them kill their timeouts. But, if the fear is that your defense can't make a stop, doesn't it make more sense to make them have to score a touchdown instead of giving a short field which could lead to a game winning filed goal? In other words, go for the throat and try to score a TD instead of messing around. A young aggressive coach would have put the impetus on the Seahawks to score instead of playing it safe.

5.) Can we stop giving a "Get One TD Free By Scoring on Roy" Coupon to every team we play? I'd have to look it up, but it seems as though he's responsible for a TD in every game we play. SOMETHING must be done at this position.

6.) All credit to Shawn, but how can you play a fairly aggressive defense the first half, then come back out and play the same loose, non-aggressive 2-deep zone defense (yes, the same defense that has sucked for the last month) again in the 2nd?

7.) Can we all hope Rivera has played his last game as a Cowboy?

8.) I think we can all agree that IF Parcells comes back, it'll only be for one more year. Does it make sense to go into another draft and FA period knowing that we have a lame duck coach and that the whole system could change within a year? Wouldn't you rather get a new coach and his system and players in here as soon as possible? For instance, what if Parcells decides to draft, yet again, another LB, but the new coach wants to run a 4-3, thereby potentially wasting the pick and setting us back ANOTHER year.

9.) Isn't it sickening to watch all of our supposed "stars" and vets (Owens, Glenn [both of them], Roy, James, Rivera) being the ones with the most obvious screw ups while some of the young guys and less heralded guys(Austin, JuJones, Carpenter, Crayton) actually stepped up? Dropped passes/INTs, blown tackles/coverages, un-timely missed blocks. It's hard to take.

10.) How different of a player might Romo have been had he started the beginning of the season? Perhaps, he would have had his downtime earlier in the season, allowing him to fight his way out of it in time for the playoffs. Maybe he could have overcome his fumble-itis earlier...oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cant say I see alot of good rants in there...most seem totally off to me

David