Some info about Gurode

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Personally, I'm glad we resigned the guy. Looks as though we're giving him one more year to show himself. Now the overwhelming assumption here is that Gurode in dumb as a rock, and that his problems are all based in that.

In the interests of setting the record straight, I've linked to one of my old posts.

#75 in the thread.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=451893&highlight=gurode#post451893

It could be argued that his play the last few years counters the info I dredged up, but we should at least be clear about his percieved intelligence level at the time he was drafted.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There are different types of intelligence- and also its having to think quickly under pressure. Some very smart types freeze or are unable to react.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Erik_H said:
Personally, I'm glad we resigned the guy. Looks as though we're giving him one more year to show himself. Now the overwhelming assumption here is that Gurode in dumb as a rock, and that his problems are all based in that.

In the interests of setting the record straight, I've linked to one of my old posts.

#75 in the thread.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=451893&highlight=gurode#post451893

It could be argued that his play the last few years counters the info I dredged up, but we should at least be clear about his percieved intelligence level at the time he was drafted.

I don't ever remember hearing that he was ******** like Tucker, just that he had a hard time grasping line calls on a consistent basis. That's why I would like to see him coached more at guard. He was really impressive when he subbed for Rivera last season. Let's see if he can put together a few games like that..then you'll have a real reward.

31hammer

Reaction score
I think they re signed Gurode to a one year deal to beat out Larry. With the promise if he performs well he will be handsomly rewarded next year. I think Kosier was brought in to play right tackle.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He has mentally struggled ever since being here. He was moved off center for Walters back Rook year, issues calling plays, misreads etc. Guard play and benching - mental gaffes. As adam pointed out last night, Gurode played himself out of a rotation with Al Johnson last year. He struggles mentally for whatever reason. Same trends at Colorado - he was pulled from Center there too.

Save me all the excuses - its year 4 for him and he has a 1 year contract. Let him compete for a job - he is a versatile role player.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
Erik_H said:

#75 in the thread.

Just remember that we passed up LeCharles Bentley to draft Gurode.

sago1

Reaction score
Don't think Gurode is dumb at all; he's simply been forced to play a position in NFL to which he not suited and then moved to center where he must compete against another center who has spent his whole life there.

Anyway more background on Gurode: He was drafted in 02 as OG who could also play Center. Started rookie season at center & played well before he got hurt. When he returned, in order to avoid moving another player, he was moved to RG where he played rest of 02-04. Was benched several times in 04 (don't remember about 03) & Riveria brought in to start at RG in 05. Parcells moved Gurode back to center in 05 TC where Gurode forced compete against Singleton, whose whole college/short NFL career spent at center. Gurode only spent limited time at that position. I just think Gurode needs tutoring on that position (why I wanted Mawae brought in to start at center; help both Gurode/Johnson to develop). Frankly, I'd like to see both Gurode & Johnson getting tutoring by a former NFL quality starting center; wish Cowboys would hire a guy like that as asst OL coach to help these guys. Don't believe Sporano is that guy.