Recommended Some notes from the Bears game

itsaboat

Reaction score
I thought Romo looked better with a normal week to prepare. He seemed content working the sticks instead of going for the big play. I thought he had some looks down the field but he played it conservatively "settling" for the first down. That's why Murray led the team with 9 receptions.

Chicago played off the receivers for most of the game which allowed easy throws to Bryant.

The offensive line play was impressive. Jared Allen had been playing well. According to PFF: he had 2 sacks, 2 pressures, and 9 qb hits in the previous 3 games but not against Dallas. Smith eliminated him from the game. Leary had a tough game last week but he bounced back this week. He was great in the run. He was living at the second level blocking linebackers. Martin did the same. I bet their middle linebacker felt like a defensive tackle because he was constantly blocked by one of our guards almost every time we ran the ball.

Hayden had a better game. Last week he was tossed around and didn't offer much more of an obstacle than a blocking dummy would have. This week he was able to hold his ground on occasion and even hit some gaps which caused some disruption on run plays. The guy that I was looking for was Brent. He only played about 20 snaps and it wasn't pretty but he showed that he can be an asset for the team. He doesn't get pushed around like Hayden or T.McClain and handled double teams much better than they do. I'm looking forward to his play the rest of the season.

R.McClain was another guy who bounced back. Last week, he was put in positions that exploited his foot speed. This week, the defensive line did a better job protecting him and he was able to make plays. Example:

In my St. Louis notes[5] , I showed how the Rams used a pick play to free up a receiver for a touchdown. Teams have been able to run those kinds of play against us with success because we don't pass assignments. Late in the Chicago game I noticed the Bears ran the same route but this time our corners allowed the action but picked up each others assignment. It was nice to see.

I really like the way Scandrick and Moore play. Both guys can play outside/inside and can play man or zone. They are the two guys who like to come off their assignment to make plays. That interception to end the game was a nice play. Cutler tried to look the other way and comeback but Scandrick wasn't fooled. He stuck with his assignment and picked off the pass. Nice hands from a guy who has dropped interceptions in the past.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
On that Randle TD, DE #69 really pooped the bed. It was a solid block by Smith don't get me wrong, but an NFL DE should be able to make that play. Not saying that to put down the OL, more to put down the DE :). Also, that was really a great play by Ro on that run (counter-action by the QB and RB but the lineman pulled, just down blocks), if he doesn't make that play there's room to run

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Romo looked better with a normal week to prepare. He seemed content working the sticks instead of going for the big play. I thought he had some looks down the field but he played it conservatively "settling" for the first down. That's why Murray led the team with 9 receptions.
Nice Gifs. The Bears #98 almost screwed up that terrific play.;)
  • LikableUnrealisticCoypu.gif

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Allen looked stunned when Frederick popped him on that stunt. Great read and block.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Nice Gifs. The Bears #98 almost screwed up that terrific play.;)
  • LikableUnrealisticCoypu.gif

That was also a nice run, reading blocks and eluding tackles. Not sure if Murray would have the quickness and balance to slip the 1st hole, elude #98 and sidestep those last two tacklers. Great run for his 1st carry of the evening.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was also a nice run, reading blocks and eluding tackles. Not sure if Murray would have the quickness and balance to slip the 1st hole, elude #98 and sidestep those last two tacklers. Great run for his 1st carry of the evening.

He should get a few more carries per game. They're going to wear Murray out before the end of the season.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
On that Randle TD, DE #69 really pooped the bed. It was a solid block by Smith don't get me wrong, but an NFL DE should be able to make that play. Not saying that to put down the OL, more to put down the DE :). Also, that was really a great play by Ro on that run (counter-action by the QB and RB but the lineman pulled, just down blocks), if he doesn't make that play there's room to run

That's All-World Jared Allen that everyone wanted in Dallas.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

Chicago played off the receivers for most of the game which allowed easy throws to Bryant.

The offensive line play was impressive. Jared Allen had been playing well. According to PFF: he had 2 sacks, 2 pressures, and 9 qb hits in the previous 3 games but not against Dallas. Smith eliminated him from the game. Leary had a tough game last week but he bounced back this week. He was great in the run. He was living at the second level blocking linebackers. Martin did the same. I bet their middle linebacker felt like a defensive tackle because he was constantly blocked by one of our guards almost every time we ran the ball.

Hayden had a better game. Last week he was tossed around and didn't offer much more of an obstacle than a blocking dummy would have. This week he was able to hold his ground on occasion and even hit some gaps which caused some disruption on run plays. The guy that I was looking for was Brent. He only played about 20 snaps and it wasn't pretty but he showed that he can be an asset for the team. He doesn't get pushed around like Hayden or T.McClain and handled double teams much better than they do. I'm looking forward to his play the rest of the season.

R.McClain was another guy who bounced back. Last week, he was put in positions that exploited his foot speed. This week, the defensive line did a better job protecting him and he was able to make plays. Example:

In my St. Louis notes[5] , I showed how the Rams used a pick play to free up a receiver for a touchdown. Teams have been able to run those kinds of play against us with success because we don't pass assignments. Late in the Chicago game I noticed the Bears ran the same route but this time our corners allowed the action but picked up each others assignment. It was nice to see.

I really like the way Scandrick and Moore play. Both guys can play outside/inside and can play man or zone. They are the two guys who like to come off their assignment to make plays. That interception to end the game was a nice play. Cutler tried to look the other way and comeback but Scandrick wasn't fooled. He stuck with his assignment and picked off the pass. Nice hands from a guy who has dropped interceptions in the past.

Great work, Itsa.

Starting to get some nice chemistry on both sides of the ball, as one might expect with such an unseasoned group toward the end of the year.

Expecting good things from Brent, which makes a huge difference in both the pass and run games.

Zman5

Reaction score

I like how he made himself "small" and then explode through the hole and then juke. I've been very pleasantly surprised by his runs this year. He should definitely get more carries.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Great analysis and summary. You have a way of presenting this info that is easy to understand, and helps me watch for similar things in upcoming games.

Thank You . One of the great benefits of being on this board is getting this type of insight.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Great post

I like how Brent Frees up space for McClain

I also like Tony Romo and the way he is going about not doing to much and playing within the system, Alot of people cry about him not going deep and the vanilla offense I am one of the main perpetrators but in reality execution is key

Moore/Patmon is gonna make life for Carr hard this next couple weeks and im not mad about that

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
He has outplayed every defensive end on our team and in many cases, replicated the measurables of our top 2 or 3 DE's combined.

And when it mattered most, got absolutely dominated by our line.

Doesn't matter. At the end of the day we put a 40 burger on him and his defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The patience and vision that Randle showed on that run was just unreal.