BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://cbs11tv.com/national/BRF--JetSlap-aa/resources_news_html

Miami passenger accused of slapping air marshal
Tuesday June 08, 2004

MIAMI (AP) A plane passenger slapped a federal air marshal after refusing to sit down and ignoring instructions to end her cellular phone call, which she said would have been ``rude,'' prosecutors said Tuesday.

Lilia Belkova has been jailed since being charged with assaulting a federal officer and interfering with a flight crew last Wednesday as a US Airways flight prepared to take off from Miami to Philadelphia.

A bail hearing was set for Thursday. It was unclear late Tuesday if Belkova, 38, had yet been assigned an attorney.

According to prosecutors, Belkova refused flight attendants' instructions to turn off her cell phone as Flight 26 taxied for takeoff, saying: ``It is rude to hang up on people. I don't have to turn my phone off.''

After ignoring more flight crew instructions, one of two air marshals ordered Belkova to be seated and put a hand on her shoulder to show her where to sit.

Belkova reached back and slapped the marshal across the face, causing ``minor swelling,'' according to court papers. She was handcuffed and taken off the plane.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Its rude to hang up on someone (like how long does it take to say "gotta go"), but not to slap someone across the face?

OK.

I hope they throw the book at this idiot.

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Its rude to hang up on someone (like how long does it take to say "gotta go"), but not to slap someone across the face?

Have you ever read read any of the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind? There's a tribe in the book that will slap each other in the face as a sign of respect ... maybe she's from there? ;)

I think it's like BP said, "some people just don't get it" and you have to wonder what's going through that empty cavern between their ears when they do something like that.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
She was handcuffed and taken off the plane.

The above is the best part.
Mental note: Hanging up=rude, slapping a federal officer=acceptable. OK, got it.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Ok I read the 1st 4 so far of that serious

Dam you reef you expoused me yes I am also reading the wheel of time series

Read the Belgrath seris

Sarhawk series

The Fiest series Magician

Moorcock

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Ok I read the 1st 4 so far of that serious

Dam you reef you expoused me yes I am also reading the wheel of time series

Read the Belgrath seris

Sarhawk series

The Fiest series Magician

Moorcock

Now, now, let's not mistake Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (only ten books in the series to date and STILL not done!) with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I, personally, prefer Goodkind to Jordan but am probably one of the few that does. :D

I was an Engineering Major and an English Minor at school and really got into the sci fi genre ... McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern got me started along that path.

SweCowboy

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:
Now, now, let's not mistake Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (only ten books in the series to date and STILL not done!) with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I, personally, prefer Goodkind to Jordan but am probably one of the few that does. :D

I was an Engineering Major and an English Minor at school and really got into the sci fi genre ... McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern got me started along that path.

Started off with The lord of the rings at the age of 10. Took me a year to get through though. Then went on with Eddings and since the book were just getting out in swedish I had to wait about 6 months for book number 4 and just didn't want to wait that long for book number 5 so I read it in english. That was the first book I read in english at the age of 12 or so. Now I seldom read books in swedish if the original language is english, I really hate translations.

I've read alot of fantasy litterature over the years. The favorites are Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time), Raimond E Feist (all of his books are very good.) and I kind of like Katherine Kerr but they're a bit weird. And of course Tolkien, the books are way better than the movies.

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
99% of people think rules should only apply to them when it's convenient.

I was about to ask you "what the heck are you talking about" when I remembered that the original intent of this thread was to talk about that idiot on the plane ... so I take it back before I say it, mmmmmmkay? :D

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
SweCowboy said:
I've read alot of fantasy litterature over the years. The favorites are Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time), Raimond E Feist (all of his books are very good.) and I kind of like Katherine Kerr but they're a bit weird. And of course Tolkien, the books are way better than the movies.

I've never read any of Kerr's work ... any specific ones you'd suggest? I was talking to some co-workers at lunch today about Tolkien and LOR and, I agree, the books are infinitely better than the movies ... and the movies were pretty well done. If they had contained ALL the material in the books, however, you'd be looking at 16-20 hrs of movies rather than the 8-9 hrs that it ended up being!

BTW, how does a Swedish fellow like yourself become a fan of the Cowboys? Amazing the attraction they have, eh?

Irvinite

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:

Terry Goodkind and his Sword of Truth series is a virtual clone(almost,but not to the point of plagiarism) of Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series.....

I like Both,but prefer The Wheel of Time.......:D

http://img9.***BLOCKED***/albums/v27/Irvinite/Untitled-2fasf.jpg

SweCowboy

Reaction score
Reef Engineer said:
I've never read any of Kerr's work ... any specific ones you'd suggest? I was talking to some co-workers at lunch today about Tolkien and LOR and, I agree, the books are infinitely better than the movies ... and the movies were pretty well done. If they had contained ALL the material in the books, however, you'd be looking at 16-20 hrs of movies rather than the 8-9 hrs that it ended up being!

BTW, how does a Swedish fellow like yourself become a fan of the Cowboys? Amazing the attraction they have, eh?

I've read most of these books http://www.deverry.com/deverry.html they're good but as stated on the site the timeline is very weird.

How I became a Cowboys fan? I played football in our equivalent of highschool, we don't have any school sports of any kind in Sweden but there was a club near by, so me and a couple of friends started playing. At the time there was actually some football available on tv, you could see the monday night games and some highlights of the rest of the games. This was in 92 so the first season of football I followed was the season Dallas won superbowl XXVII. And from then on I've been a fan. More of certain players from the beginning and then of the team in general. My favorite player of all time is Woodson followed by Emmitt and Irvin.

Armageden Eagle

Benched
Reaction score
Slapping an Air Marshall -- not very prudent! Slapping anyone -- not a healthy approach; unless in self defense (best defense is ...).

Questions:

Did Lilia Belkova know that she was striking an Air Marshall?

Could Lilia ZBelkova (sounds Russian, perhaps Lithowanian) have misunderstood what the Air Marshall was trying to instruct her to do (English being a second language)?

Prosecutors stated "Lilia didn't want to be rude?" Was this something that was determined after she was jailed; during her day in court?

Not that slapping anyone is a means to an end, but she could not have known that the person being slapped was an Air Marshall. Aren't the identities of Air Marshalls supposed to be secret until a "major incident" occurs? This sounds like something the steward/stewardess could have handled (unless the Air Marshall was the steward/stewardess).

What was the gender of the Marshall?

Bottom Line: Lilia was wrong!