Some perspective on free agency

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The bottom line is, in the draft you are not going to hit on every pick in the draft, so you need to offset that with FA. No you don't have to spend like crazy, but you are going to have to spend something and not act like this is the 30's depression.

dckid

Reaction score
i know fans want to see their team sign free agents, but in the nfl it is pretty much a trap to get teams to sign bad contracts. it is good for depth and to supplement ur roster but splash signing are usually bad. signings like stephon gilmore are the exception big time. just look at what actual good teams have sign in free agency not counting their own re signing :

chiefs - no one
49ers - no one
titans - vic beasley
packers - christian kirksey, rick wagner
ravens - michael brockers
texans - no one
saints - malcolm jenkins
patriots - beau allen, demaire byrd
etc

u build actual good teams in the draft and re-sign ur guys or let them walk and collect comp picks. free agency is wack.
I am sorry you are just repeating the same thing you hear from other folks.
Like with everything else in life the actual truth is a bit more nuanced. FA is not a trap to sign big and bad contracts. FA is not wack.
If you are an NFL executive you need to look across all fronts to improve your team. The days of building only through FA, or only through the draft are not effective. Good teams use all the tools at their disposal. They don't go on vacation when Free agency starts.

John813

Reaction score
The Chiefs also have Mahomes and several other really good players that they drafted along with a great coach. When you're 1 or 2 players away, FA can make sense. Let's see if all the moves the Browns made this week leads to a SB this year.

The Chiefs were a sieve on defense going into last year.
More than a player or two away.
They retooled quite a bit to get to a respectable level and only took them a year to go from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Took this team years only going through the draft to make that work.

Not saying the answer is to always spend huge bucks, but this team blew it's shot with it's core on ELCs and now even with cap space they seem to be on the old path of the draft cures all.
I don't mind getting starters from the draft but it puts pressure on those draft picks producing right away.

It's still too early to say how this FA period will turn out but I hope they at least get a few more mid range FAs to shore up DT/S

dckid

Reaction score
I don't agree with not being active in FA, as much as I would not participating in the draft.. lol well not quite to that degree, but my point being is that there is quality talent
available during FA, that certain team situations can acquire when the time is right, they don't have to be starters.
Free Agency is the talent purge of the NFL,, it just takes good FOs and GMs that can extract the necessary available talent that can help a roster each year.
Just because a player is a FA doesn't mean something is wrong with him.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Texans signed Randall Cobb.

Every team on this list except the Titans and Texans is near the bottom of the league in CAP space. The Chiefs, for example, have about $3.4 million left under the cap. They are 29th in the league in cap space.

The 49ers are 27th. The Ravens 28th. The Patriots 25th, Packers are 26th. And the Saints are 23rd with about $13.7 million. None of these teams are in a position to spend wildly on free agents, but most of them have in the past.

I think the best teams use a combination of trades, free agent signings and the draft to build.

dacoming

Reaction score
The Chiefs were a sieve on defense going into last year.
More than a player or two away.
They retooled quite a bit to get to a respectable level and only took them a year to go from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Took this team years only going through the draft to make that work.

Not saying the answer is to always spend huge bucks, but this team blew it's shot with it's core on ELCs and now even with cap space they seem to be on the old path of the draft cures all.
I don't mind getting starters from the draft but it puts pressure on those draft picks producing right away.

It's still too early to say how this FA period will turn out but I hope they at least get a few more mid range FAs to shore up DT/S
I understand where you're coming from. I think we need to be more aggressive at times too. For example, I hate the complacency on addressing the Safety position and they should be looking at Billings and a couple others out there. Why not call MN about Anthony Harris. They say he's available for a 3rd or 4th. They can't be that concerned about the new contract if they weren't concerned about it when going after Jamal Adams, plus NYJ wanted more than a 1st for him. They do sit on their hands a lot.