Some players the Boys have reportedly shown an interest in:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I got these from reading Blogging The Boys, don't know their sources, but I consider them pretty reliable:

Ben Tate, RB, Auburn... 5-11, 216 pounds, 4.5 second 40... NFLDS grades him as a 3rd or 4th rounder... his scouting reports make him sound a bit like a poor man's Marion Barber... gained 3213 yards for his career, including 1254 yards as a senior... can catch the ball out of the backfield...

Garrett Graham, TE/FB, Wisconsin... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.7 second 40... played TE for the Badgers, and is playing that position at the Senior Bowl this week, but some scouts project him to FB (and I have a hunch that's why the Boys like him)... in fact, NFLDS grades him their top FB on the board, and again, a 3rd or 4th round pick...

Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia... 6-2, 210 pounds, 4.5 second 40... has the size to be an effective press corner, may project to free safety in the NFL... Cook is projected as a 4th or 5th round pick by NFLDS...

We also learned earlier this offseason that the Boys have demonstrated some interest in 4 more players-- WR Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State (who will probably be gone long before they pick), OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma (who might be on the board at pick 27), OT Jason Fox from Miami (a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect) and SS Larry Asante from Nebraska (who NFLDS is grading out as a 3rd or 4th rounder)...

Hmmm, seems like the Boys are most interested in prospects who grade out in the 3rd or 4th round range, doesn't it??

If anybody has heard of any other players the Boys might be talking to, I invite you to post them to this thread...

silverbear

Reaction score
OK, I've just made a foray onto the Daily Zone, and came across an article that lists even more players the Boys seem to like... my list now stands at 14 players, and what I think I'll do here is list them according to how high NFL Draft Scout rates them... they're not the definitive source when it comes to ratings, but they're as good as anybody I've found, so I'll use them as the gold standard for this list:

Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State... 6-3, 220 pounds, 4.55 40... rated 11th...

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma... 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.3 40... rated 15th...

Mike Iupati, OG/OT, Idaho... 6-5, 325 pounds, 5.2 40... rated 22nd...

DeMaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.55 40... rated 51st...

Carlton Mitchell, WR, S. Florida... 6-4, 210 pounds, 4.45 40... rated 68th...

Kyle Wilson, CB/KR, Boise State... 5-10, 190 pounds, 4.4 40... rated 69th...

Jason Fox, OT, Miami... 6-6, 316 pounds, 5.15 40... rated 82nd...

Garrett Graham, TE/FB, Wisconsin... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.7 40... rated 84th...

Larry Asante, S, Nebraska... 6-0, 210 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 105th...

Brandon Lang, OLB/DE, Troy... 6-4, 260 pounds, 4.8 40... rated 122nd...

Ben Tate, RB, Auburn... 5-11, 216 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 130th...

Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue... 6-3, 295 pounds, 4.9 40... rated 136th...

Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia... 6-2, 210 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 147th...

Cameron Sheffield, OLB/DE, Troy... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 40... rated 171st...

My favorites on this list are in bold font... I could certainly live with Iupati in the first, Wilson in the 2nd, Graham in the 3rd (as a FB), then Cook in the 4th...

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I could certainly live with Iupati in the first, Wilson in the 2nd, Graham in the 3rd (as a FB), then Cook in the 4th...

that be one fine draft

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
silverbear;3258528 said:
I got these from reading Blogging The Boys, don't know their sources, but I consider them pretty reliable:

Ben Tate, RB, Auburn... 5-11, 216 pounds, 4.5 second 40... NFLDS grades him as a 3rd or 4th rounder... his scouting reports make him sound a bit like a poor man's Marion Barber... gained 3213 yards for his career, including 1254 yards as a senior... can catch the ball out of the backfield...

Garrett Graham, TE/FB, Wisconsin... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.7 second 40... played TE for the Badgers, and is playing that position at the Senior Bowl this week, but some scouts project him to FB (and I have a hunch that's why the Boys like him)... in fact, NFLDS grades him their top FB on the board, and again, a 3rd or 4th round pick...

Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia... 6-2, 210 pounds, 4.5 second 40... has the size to be an effective press corner, may project to free safety in the NFL... Cook is projected as a 4th or 5th round pick by NFLDS...

We also learned earlier this offseason that the Boys have demonstrated some interest in 4 more players-- WR Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State (who will probably be gone long before they pick), OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma (who might be on the board at pick 27), OT Jason Fox from Miami (a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect) and SS Larry Asante from Nebraska (who NFLDS is grading out as a 3rd or 4th rounder)...

Hmmm, seems like the Boys are most interested in prospects who grade out in the 3rd or 4th round range, doesn't it??

If anybody has heard of any other players the Boys might be talking to, I invite you to post them to this thread...

Bear, I remember last year when we had this list going and at that time the focus also seemed to be on mid round prospects for the most part. I wish I could find the thread because it would be interesting to see how many of them we landed.

The Realist

Reaction score
Jerry has used the term stacking them up recently in regards to positions where we have insane depth.

I've been thinking all year that if we got Kyle Wilson in 2 our CB depth would be insane and we'd be in good shape for the post Newman era.

I had no idea Wilson would come out and play this well at the Senior Bowl.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I think a good fullback is in need. Especially if we're lowering Barber's game time or getting rid of him, we need a guy who can block.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DeMaryius Thomas looks like a player

almost 230 lbs. but averaged 25 yards a catch as a Senior

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3259116 said:

If he's there ind the 2nd I hope we pick him up. Huge upgrade over Williams.

RS12

Reaction score

Agree Bobby. Did you see him dismantle the FSU secondary in that game in Tallahassee? Man among boys out there.

RS12

Reaction score

If they are looking hard at this guy means Barber or Choice may somehow get moved.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RS12;3259144 said:
Agree Bobby. Did you see him dismantle the FSU secondary in that game in Tallahassee? Man among boys out there.

I didn't get that opportunity

VACowboy

Reaction score

I dunno. He's a heck of an athlete, but he's not very fast and he played in Paul Johnson's spread option, so he never ran any routes. He just took off down field. The interesting thing to me is the team's pass distribution. Thomas caught 46 balls out of 78. Next closest was Peeples with 8. So I think it's kind of tough to judge him on stats alone. He's definitely not a burner.

RS12

Reaction score
VACowboy;3259177 said:
I dunno. He's a heck of an athlete, but he's not very fast and he played in Paul Johnson's spread option, so he never ran any routes. He just took off down field. The interesting thing to me is the team's pass distribution. Thomas caught 46 balls out of 78. Next closest was Peeples with 8. So I think it's kind of tough to judge him on stats alone. He's definitely not a burner.

Ya, and he accomplished all that with an option QB. He dominates smaller CBs, which at his size is most everybody.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
silverbear;3258562 said:
OK, I've just made a foray onto the Daily Zone, and came across an article that lists even more players the Boys seem to like... my list now stands at 14 players, and what I think I'll do here is list them according to how high NFL Draft Scout rates them... they're not the definitive source when it comes to ratings, but they're as good as anybody I've found, so I'll use them as the gold standard for this list:

Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State... 6-3, 220 pounds, 4.55 40... rated 11th...

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma... 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.3 40... rated 15th...

Mike Iupati, OG/OT, Idaho... 6-5, 325 pounds, 5.2 40... rated 22nd...

DeMaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech... 6-3, 230 pounds, 4.55 40... rated 51st...

Carlton Mitchell, WR, S. Florida... 6-4, 210 pounds, 4.45 40... rated 68th...

Kyle Wilson, CB/KR, Boise State... 5-10, 190 pounds, 4.4 40... rated 69th...

Jason Fox, OT, Miami... 6-6, 316 pounds, 5.15 40... rated 82nd...

Garrett Graham, TE/FB, Wisconsin... 6-3, 235 pounds, 4.7 40... rated 84th...

Larry Asante, S, Nebraska... 6-0, 210 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 105th...

Brandon Lang, OLB/DE, Troy... 6-4, 260 pounds, 4.8 40... rated 122nd...

Ben Tate, RB, Auburn... 5-11, 216 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 130th...

Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue... 6-3, 295 pounds, 4.9 40... rated 136th...

Chris Cook, CB/FS, Virginia... 6-2, 210 pounds, 4.5 40... rated 147th...

Cameron Sheffield, OLB/DE, Troy... 6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 40... rated 171st...

My favorites on this list are in bold font... I could certainly live with Iupati in the first, Wilson in the 2nd, Graham in the 3rd (as a FB), then Cook in the 4th...
No TCody on the list, huh SB? :confused: Like that Asante kid from Nebraska too...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you guys have to take these lists into perspective

seeing as how we weren't linked to Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins before the draft (although everyone and their mother projected Felix to us)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3259504 said:
he is #7 of Daboys list of #7 players that dont suck.

I like a lot of players in the NFL and College and it's not just relegated to cowboy players or college kids from Texas of OU sorry if I'm not a homer.

silverbear

Reaction score
SDogo;3258624 said:
Bear, I remember last year when we had this list going and at that time the focus also seemed to be on mid round prospects for the most part. I wish I could find the thread because it would be interesting to see how many of them we landed.

I plan on starting another thread of this nature come the Combine, then build on it as the Pro Day workouts take place... I was very pleasantly surprised with the number of players we had on the list by the time the draft rolled around...

Of course, back then they had no first round pick, so it wasn't as surprising that they were focusing on the later prospects...

silverbear

Reaction score
RS12;3259148 said:
If they are looking hard at this guy means Barber or Choice may somehow get moved.

I'd say that's a possibility... then again, we don't know how serious their interest is, it may just be more of that "due diligence"...