Some positional thoughts through 3 games

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A look at a few positions that could warrant draft considerations next year

Ill try to post these every few weeks, as things will change throughout the season

Safety: Oft discussed position draft wise. One way or the other, expect activity in April. Big reason: Only Woods and Wilson are under contract for 2020. And Woods is an FA after 2020. We need an upgrade over Heath. Maybe that ends up being Wilson. Even if thats the case, we still need more players at the position

RDE: Going to be interesting position to watch throughout the year. RDE is a spot that could warrant high round draft consideration. We have young players at the position that are getting playing time, but are they ever going to be +starters? I also think an extension for Quinn (think 2 years) could be a possibility.

TE: Jarwin has looked good as a move TE, but Shultz has played very little. TE is going to be an interesting position to watch going forward to see how it is used by Moore. The volume of passing may make run blocking not as critical as it was under Linehan

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Agreed.

Safety has been a need, but the contract situation warrants it finally being addressed.

Edge will be a need with Quinn being in the last year of his deal, the Taco fiasco, and the unreliability of Randy Gregory.

Tight End, especially a starting caliber one, could become a need depending on Witten's desire to return for another year.

I would add Defensive Tackle as a priority need as well. Maliek Collins, Antwuan Woods, Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder are all free agents at the end of this year. Tyrone Crawford's contract makes him a possible cap casualty. Trysten Hill is looking like a long-term project.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agreed.

Safety has been a need, but the contract situation warrants it finally being addressed.

Edge will be a need with Quinn being in the last year of his deal, the Taco fiasco, and the unreliability of Randy Gregory.

Tight End, especially a starting caliber one, could become a need depending on Witten's desire to return for another year.

I would add Defensive Tackle as a priority need as well. Maliek Collins, Antwuan Woods, Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder are all free agents at the end of this year. Tyrone Crawford's contract makes him a possible cap casualty. Trysten Hill is looking like a long-term project.
I forgot to include DT. I think one way or the other Collins is elswhere next year. Realistically you want 2 3T's that can rush the pass in sub packages, so even if they feel good about Hill at the end of the year another 3T could still be a priority

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but just a couple of thoughts of my own

QB- May draft a guy a little late. Obviously Dak will be signed long tern, but we only have Cooper Rush under control for 1 more year and he *may* be more expensive then we want in a back up.
RB/FB- Literally no reason to spend a draft pick or free agent money here
WR- Pretty unlikely we do anything beyone the status quo here as well
TE- Jason Witten is playing like he's 35 again...which sounds bad, but he was pretty good at 35 :muttley:. But we need a long term option here and I would like to draft a guy in round 2 or so.
OL- Status quo here as well. All 5 starters are locked in, and a few key backups are as well. If Loney doesn't demand too much, then it's really embarrassing how much depth we have here

DE- Something needs to be done here. I wouldn't spend a high draft pick here, unless there was a great value, but I would spend money on a proven player. If Quinn performs, maybe he's that guy, but even if that is the case, we probably could use 1 more beyond Quinn/Armstrong and Lawrence/Jackson
DT- Something needs to be done here as well. I though Collins would explode this year and price himself out of what we would pay for a guy so inconsistent, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If he returns, the team will probably be content with Collins/Hill and Woods/Covington. I'd draft a 1T in that situation, but honestly, we won't. Crawford *could* hang around as additional depth as well at DE/DT. I could see using him as a situational rusher at DT especially if Gregory is on the roster.
LB- No need here. Even if Lee retires, Joe Thomas is perfectly fine for what we ask of the SOLB. May draft a guy mid round, to be the back-up at multiple positions, but outside of that, doubt we spend major resources here
CB- Could be a first round need (don't tell @Risen Star) or at the very least, second day. Assuming we resign Byron Jones, we're still going into the final season of Awuzie and Lewis. I think Lewis will replace Brown, unless we spend a first on a CB. If we spend a second or 3rd, Lewis will likely be the slot guy in 2020.
FS- I'm fine here, assuming we do something at SS. Xavier Woods is a quality starter and Jeff Heath is a good 3rd safety/special teams contributor. I'm even fine with Darian Thompson as back-up for Heath (or possibly replacing if Heath still wants starter money).
SS- Need an upgrade here. Again, first/second day need. Donovan Wilson may develop into a good players, but I doubt he gets the opportunity to showcase that this year and maybe he's the 3rd safety as opposed to bringing Heath back.

So all in all, I'd say TE/CB/SS are the top 3 draft needs, followed by DE. I rank DE after them, mainly because I'd spend that money in free agency and then add a guy in the 4th or so. DT could bypass all of these positions, but I would not spend another premium pick there. I'd use the rest of my mid round picks on DE, DT, LB, QB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

QB- May draft a guy a little late. Obviously Dak will be signed long tern, but we only have Cooper Rush under control for 1 more year and he *may* be more expensive then we want in a back up.
TE- Jason Witten is playing like he's 35 again...which sounds bad, but he was pretty good at 35 :muttley:. But we need a long term option here and I would like to draft a guy in round 2 or so.
OL- Status quo here as well. All 5 starters are locked in, and a few key backups are as well. If Loney doesn't demand too much, then it's really embarrassing how much depth we have here

DE- Something needs to be done here. I wouldn't spend a high draft pick here, unless there was a great value, but I would spend money on a proven player. If Quinn performs, maybe he's that guy, but even if that is the case, we probably could use 1 more beyond Quinn/Armstrong and Lawrence/Jackson
DT- Something needs to be done here as well. I though Collins would explode this year and price himself out of what we would pay for a guy so inconsistent, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If he returns, the team will probably be content with Collins/Hill and Woods/Covington. I'd draft a 1T in that situation, but honestly, we won't. Crawford *could* hang around as additional depth as well at DE/DT. I could see using him as a situational rusher at DT especially if Gregory is on the roster.
LB- No need here. Even if Lee retires, Joe Thomas is perfectly fine for what we ask of the SOLB. May draft a guy mid round, to be the back-up at multiple positions, but outside of that, doubt we spend major resources here
CB- Could be a first round need (don't tell @Risen Star) or at the very least, second day. Assuming we resign Byron Jones, we're still going into the final season of Awuzie and Lewis. I think Lewis will replace Brown, unless we spend a first on a CB. If we spend a second or 3rd, Lewis will likely be the slot guy in 2020.
FS- I'm fine here, assuming we do something at SS. Xavier Woods is a quality starter and Jeff Heath is a good 3rd safety/special teams contributor. I'm even fine with Darian Thompson as back-up for Heath (or possibly replacing if Heath still wants starter money).
SS- Need an upgrade here. Again, first/second day need. Donovan Wilson may develop into a good players, but I doubt he gets the opportunity to showcase that this year and maybe he's the 3rd safety as opposed to bringing Heath back.

So all in all, I'd say TE/CB/SS are the top 3 draft needs, followed by DE. I rank DE after them, mainly because I'd spend that money in free agency and then add a guy in the 4th or so. DT could bypass all of these positions, but I would not spend another premium pick there. I'd use the rest of my mid round picks on DE, DT, LB, QB
Im guessing Weber gets another look to see of he is worth a spot on the 53 next year. Considering we only have 2 "HB's" on the roster right now, I dont think they value that 3rd spot enough to spend any draft picks on it. They will just Olawale as an FB/HB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

If he has a solid season, I would be fine re-uping Quinn to a similar contract Justin Houston got.

cowboyec

Reaction score
DL...E and T
S
CB...Byron Jones contract will decide this.

but Id hope they focus on the DLine personally.

bodi

Reaction score
DRAFT A KICKER

Rodrigo Blankenship UGA

we got the picks

I wanted to draft Stephen Gostkowski in 06 but New England Patriots did Round: 4 / Pick: 118

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
DT - pass rushing/collapsing the pocket/run stuffer. Tall order, but we've got DEs, getting the aforementioned DT will set the d-line, maybe not top notch but good enough.
TE - Witten bless his heart, when he came back I thought he was a bit selfish, after all he had what, 15 years on the Cowboys? But I also thought he'd be a part time player, that was wrong, he's the starter. Had high hopes for Jarwin, but I'd cut him and Schultz after this season, both have had ample time on the team to knock Witten off his perch, and if they can't do that to a 37 year old who never had real speed, I'd just as soon sign some free agent backup on another team or pick up a non-drafted college guy, probably would do just as well as Jarwin or Schultz.
LT - nobody on the team imho even approaches T. Smith's level of play, even with his back issues and age. LT is the most important position on the line, if Dak's gonna be "the guy", better protect your $120-150-200 or whatever million dollar investment.

Otherwise I don't see any huge needs, everybody and their cousin wants Heath gone or at least pushed to backup, but if I've got only one position that is not up to par with the rest, I'd be grateful.

Of course you always want to refresh and refill, and improve if possible, the team but at this point I'd rather ride the horses I've got rather than putting in new pieces in the draft that might be better, but might be worse. And forget free agency unless you can get the Ramsey or such player, after getting the Ilokas, Thorntons, etc. that couldn't even make the final 53, it's obvious the Cowboys either can't pick them or don't want to go after the best available, or don't have the money to sigh them. Build through the draft where you can...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I would say right now...
But things change as teams pay attention to what we are calling.
TE. If Jarwin comes on at midseason because of play calling then this shifts back.
CB
DL