Some quotes about Watkins from FSU fans

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Heres some Quotes from FSU fans.

One of the most underrated safeties ever coming out.

You got an absolute steal. Personally, I think he was one of the top 3 in the country. Bing got a lot of hype because of where he was, but Pat made plays.

Pat Watkins a nice special teams guy from what ive seen. Also he is solid in coverage and has alot of range.. From watching him play though he is timid, and not a big contact guy...but thats ok Roy Williams is up there for that. This coming froma Cane fan

Steal!!! I believe he should of been a first or second round choice.

He downed three punts inside the 1 that I can remember.

He was a 5 star in HS, I believe the #1 safety in country. I am impressed with him. Very athletic, good hands, first guy to the ball on special teams, great character- wont get in trouble. Team player. and someone who cover a lot of ground.

I think he will make an early impact on special teams.

Wanole hit it on the head though. He has first round talent, but seems to get bored. Parcells will need to stay in his ear, cause if he does Watkins will be a major steal.

Honestly I love Pat's game. The reason some people forgot about him while watching is because he doesnt make many mistakes and teams try to avoid him, IMO. Excellent tackler, doesnt miss many and more than likely will deliver a knock back, this guy doesnt get dragged. Excellent character too, never heard of him ever getting in the coaches doghouse. I personally was expecting to see him go in the second rd, a third year starter from FSU I cant beieve he went that high. Dont act like there must have been a problem with him or he wouldnt have been drafted late, that happens to a lot of the stars in the NFL today. Experts and scouts are often WRONG. Him and Roy in the same defensive backfield, ITS A WRAP!!

As a Cowboys fan, I was pretty stoked they took Watkins. He is a good, fast safety that covers a lot of ground and has good size. Might wanna bulk up a bit for run support, but great pickup that late in the draft.

Dallas, With Watkins I think YOU got the steal or one of the steals of the draft. There aren't many safeties out there that run a 4.4.

Pat is a very gifted football player. Critics will mention his lean frame, but watching him these past years, he is a very sure-handed tackler, one of the better tacklers on the team.

His strengths are many:

1.) Covers a lot of ground due to his speed and instincts.

2.) Understands his responsibilities and rarely makes a coverage mistake.

3.) Has good hands.

4.) He's 6'4" and has a very nice vertical.

5.) Good teammate. He didn't have as good a year last year as he was capable of, but he was an enormous presence to those young freshman corners.

6.) Playmaker.

7.) And did I mention he's 6'4"?

For the weaknesses, he isn't as fluid as you would like him to be, and he does need to add more bulk to that body. But other than that, he is a hell of a football player with a ton of upside.

He will do well in the NFL.

I can see him being one of those players who are a better NFL player then they were college, mainly cause Parcels gets the most out of everyone

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
Heres some Quotes from FSU fans.

Quote:
One of the most underrated safeties ever coming out.

Quote:
You got an absolute steal. Personally, I think he was one of the top 3 in the country. Bing got a lot of hype because of where he was, but Pat made plays.

Quote:
Pat Watkins a nice special teams guy from what ive seen. Also he is solid in coverage and has alot of range.. From watching him play though he is timid, and not a big contact guy...but thats ok Roy Williams is up there for that. This coming froma Cane fan

Quote:
Steal!!! I believe he should of been a first or second round choice.

Quote:
He downed three punts inside the 1 that I can remember.

Quote:
He was a 5 star in HS, I believe the #1 safety in country. I am impressed with him. Very athletic, good hands, first guy to the ball on special teams, great character- wont get in trouble. Team player. and someone who cover a lot of ground.

Quote:
I think he will make an early impact on special teams.

Quote:
Wanole hit it on the head though. He has first round talent, but seems to get bored. Parcells will need to stay in his ear, cause if he does Watkins will be a major steal.

Quote:
Honestly I love Pat's game. The reason some people forgot about him while watching is because he doesnt make many mistakes and teams try to avoid him, IMO. Excellent tackler, doesnt miss many and more than likely will deliver a knock back, this guy doesnt get dragged. Excellent character too, never heard of him ever getting in the coaches doghouse. I personally was expecting to see him go in the second rd, a third year starter from FSU I cant beieve he went that high. Dont act like there must have been a problem with him or he wouldnt have been drafted late, that happens to a lot of the stars in the NFL today. Experts and scouts are often WRONG. Him and Roy in the same defensive backfield, ITS A WRAP!!

Quote:
As a Cowboys fan, I was pretty stoked they took Watkins. He is a good, fast safety that covers a lot of ground and has good size. Might wanna bulk up a bit for run support, but great pickup that late in the draft.

Quote:
Dallas, With Watkins I think YOU got the steal or one of the steals of the draft. There aren't many safeties out there that run a 4.4.

Quote:
Pat is a very gifted football player. Critics will mention his lean frame, but watching him these past years, he is a very sure-handed tackler, one of the better tacklers on the team.

His strengths are many:

1.) Covers a lot of ground due to his speed and instincts.

3.) Has good hands.

4.) He's 6'4" and has a very nice vertical.

5.) Good teammate. He didn't have as good a year last year as he was capable of, but he was an enormous presence to those young freshman corners.

6.) Playmaker.

7.) And did I mention he's 6'4"?

For the weaknesses, he isn't as fluid as you would like him to be, and he does need to add more bulk to that body. But other than that, he is a hell of a football player with a ton of upside.

He will do well in the NFL.

Quote:
I can see him being one of those players who are a better NFL player then they were college, mainly cause Parcels gets the most out of everyone .

Interesting... GoOd PoSt:bow:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, Catch. Nice to see you over here... come more often.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
sweet post

uh, hello!!! :)

im just hoping this is honest, and not just biased b/c they are nole fans but the more i read about this kid the more i like him

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
According to Rivals these are his recruiting stats, #2 rated safety and a 5 star.

Pat Watkins ***** 6-4/190/4.45 Tallahassee, FL #2 Florida State

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
I cannot wait until Watkins steps onto the field and starts to gain experience. Hopefully right now he's working hard in the weight room to bulk up because he really does need some strength

ghst187

Reaction score
If he's closer to 6'5 or 6'6 like I've seen him listed lately...combined with his statue of liberty jumping ability...he'll just be able to stand 20 yards in the secondary and knock every pass down, he won't need to move real far to cover area. And that's what he covers AREA/AIRSPACE with that kind of frame vs just covering ground with speed, although he can do that too.
This pick given where we were able to get him was the one I was the most excited about. A player I wanted but thought we'd have to use a late 2nd or move up in the third to get. Liked him better than Bing, Simpson, Whitner, Hester, Jimmy Williams,...etc. Only S I liked better than Watkins was Huff, who'll probably play more CB than S.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Nice.:bow: Did you get this from Warchant? Alot of his teammates were drafted on the first day for a reason and he should have been one of them. Glad we "stole" him.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Great reads....sometimes fans know the best.

Sometimes fans do know best......... Just like Rodrique Wright, he was among the last defensive-linemen to be selected, but anyone who watched many UT games knows, Wright was one of the best DT in the country.

Wright and Watkins are #1 and #2, in terms of this years draft steals (IMO).
I cant wait for pre-season!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ghst187 said:
If he's closer to 6'5 or 6'6 like I've seen him listed lately...combined with his statue of liberty jumping ability...he'll just be able to stand 20 yards in the secondary and knock every pass down, he won't need to move real far to cover area. And that's what he covers AREA/AIRSPACE with that kind of frame vs just covering ground with speed, although he can do that too.
This pick given where we were able to get him was the one I was the most excited about. A player I wanted but thought we'd have to use a late 2nd or move up in the third to get. Liked him better than Bing, Simpson, Whitner, Hester, Jimmy Williams,...etc. Only S I liked better than Watkins was Huff, who'll probably play more CB than S.

I only liked Huff and Allen better. And Allen's hip bothered me. I don't think Lowery was better either.

ghst187

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I only liked Huff and Allen better. And Allen's hip bothered me. I don't think Lowery was better either.

I was a big Allen fan until i read he failed a physical. I saw the game and his injury when i happened.
He was pretty close to ending his career. I thought he was recovered because of the ridiculous 40 time he posted but apparently there was something still wrong.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ghst187 said:
I was a big Allen fan until i read he failed a physical. I saw the game and his injury when i happened.
He was pretty close to ending his career. I thought he was recovered because of the ridiculous 40 time he posted but apparently there was something still wrong.

Yeah, I'm very pleased with Watkins. I expect him to be the full-time starter at some point this season.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I love Pat Watkins..
I still say it's our best pick..
Sorry Carpenter.. :D

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I agree with you 100%. We weren't going to get either Huff or Allen, (Huff would be gone and Allen has the hip problem). I thought we would have taken Watkins in the 3rd or 4th. When we still ended up getting him in the 5th, I was jumping up and down.

Sifillest

Reaction score
heh.....i drafted him on madden, he was a 84 his first year and a 93 his second.....of course its just a game, but that combo of size and speed....cmon...all he needs is a LIL covering ability and he'll be ball hawking!

morasp

Reaction score
Coming from FSU I had some concerns about character but it looks like Ireland did his homework again and stuck with high character players.

hendog

Reaction score
bbgun said:
FSU fans praising an FSU athlete. Whoda thunkit.

Well I'm not a nole fan and I was hoping that he would come out after his jr yr and we draft him then. I've been watching him for 2 yrs and he's a very solid player. I'm VERY surprised that he slid to the 5th. We got a good player.

Reaction score
How can we miss? Reading everything posted by Seminole fans and now Cowboy fans we probably can put up his name for a HOF career along side of Renfro!:rolleyes: