Some random MNF, Eagles thoughts

DLCassidy

Reaction score
*Mike Vick confuses me. He made some great throws early but most of his throws look like the cartoon on Brunnel from Extremeskins, he lost 2 fumbles and got picked, but his team still won. I don't really get it.

*Philly has some jailbreak blitz packages. The two fumbles were caused when they brought the house and the house got there FAST. Vick is as fast as it gets and he didn't come close to getting rid of the ball. What are they going to do to Bledsoe?:( IMO we need to severely limit the # of 5 to 7 step drops as a starting point and spread the offense out like NE did in the SB so Bledsoe can see where the pressure is coming from better. Developing a decent screen play wouldn't hurt either.

*Both of those teams are good because they can really get after the QB. We're not there yet but it's early. The intensity of that game was amazing.

*Donovan McNabb is a great player BUT he seems to need to make a show at the end of games that he's cool. How about being less cool and manage the damn clock?

*You need two backs that can run if you want to be a running team like Atlanta and Pittsburgh. If anyone asked me I'd rather we gave Tyler Thompson a shot as the #2 guy. Anthony Thomas is like a vanilla ice cream cone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
*Mike Vick confuses me. He made some great throws early but most of his throws look like the cartoon on Brunnel from Extremeskins, he lost 2 fumbles and got picked, but his team still won. I don't really get it.

*Philly has some jailbreak blitz packages. The two fumbles were caused when they brought the house and the house got there FAST. Vick is as fast as it gets and he didn't come close to getting rid of the ball. What are they going to do to Bledsoe?:( IMO we need to severely limit the # of 5 to 7 step drops as a starting point and spread the offense out like NE did in the SB so Bledsoe can see where the pressure is coming from better. Developing a decent screen play wouldn't hurt either.

*Both of those teams are good because they can really get after the QB. We're not there yet but it's early. The intensity of that game was amazing.

*Donovan McNabb is a great player BUT he seems to need to make a show at the end of games that he's cool. How about being less cool and manage the damn clock?

*You need two backs that can run if you want to be a running team like Atlanta and Pittsburgh. If anyone asked me I'd rather we gave Tyler Thompson a shot as the #2 guy. Anthony Thomas is like a vanilla ice cream cone.

Last time Bledsoe face Philly (93 season) he had a pretty good afternoon throwing for 296 1 TD ran for 1 TD and was sacked 2 times

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Last time Bledsoe face Philly (93 season) he had a pretty good afternoon throwing for 296 1 TD ran for 1 TD and was sacked 2 times

12 years ago Dooms...Maybe he was a tad bit faster or more mobile then ?

revelations521

Reaction score
"Last time Bledsoe face Philly (93 season) he had a pretty good afternoon throwing for 296 1 TD ran for 1 TD and was sacked 2 times".........12 years ago..too far back to compare........sorry to point that out

playit12

Reaction score
Best way to counter the blitz is with a good running game and screen passes... Let the bring the house... they can all turn around and watch JJ on the way to the goal.

Kilyin

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:

Glorified running back. When the legs go, the career of Vick goes. He'll never be a real Quarterback, despite whatever bullsh*t Mora Jr. wants to feed everyone.

DLCassidy said:

Every team in the NFL has a jailbreak blitz package. Bringing the house is feast or famine, and if you don't get to the QB, you're going to pay the price. Just have to know when to pull them out of the ole bag of tricks. People can say what they want about San Diego's defense, but they tried some heavy blitzing on us and they paid for it.

Once Ware hits his stride, watch out. That's going to open up more opportunities not only for Ware, but the entire Dallas defense. Some other guys need to step up too, but I think we'll be okay this year.

This surprises you? That was the same lackadaisical Mcnabb that cost his team the Superbowl. Maybe he had the heaves again, Kerney sure put a hat on him. I know I wasn't the only one that enjoyed seeing that.

We have four runningbacks, when is the last time we ever had this sort of depth? I'll wait and see what Thomas does when Bill gives him more than 2 or 3 carries in a real game before I declare him the next Eddie George.

ghst187

Reaction score
Vick is erratic in his throws. I suspect he always will be. He'll scramble out of the pocket and throw a beautiful, perfect pass to a breaking WR. Then, his next three will be in the stands.
He's going to get rushing yards, its a given. Eventually though he's going to start slowing down, and then he's going to start getting hit, often, and hard.
Vick will break Atlanta's heart as long as he's there, just like his cousin does the Saints. Reminds me of the Usher song "Burn". If Atlanta starts losing, I'd give Schwab the reins and get a blockbuster deal for Vick.

Philly is the most arrogant team in the league and it starts at the top. You'd swear they had won the 3 of the last 4 SBs instead of the Pats. The team leaders over on the sidelines jawing and smiling even when they're losing....coaches refusing to change anything or make many adjustments....i'm ready for their fall.

as for us, Polite and JJ better figure out the blitz pickups. Polite did a crappy job vs SD with it and SD's blitzes are child's play compare to the heat Philly will bring.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
This surprises you? That was the same lackadaisical Mcnabb that cost his team the Superbowl. Maybe he had the heaves again, Kerney sure put a hat on him. I know I wasn't the only one that enjoyed seeing that.

Oh yes!

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
as for us, Polite and JJ better figure out the blitz pickups. Polite did a crappy job vs SD with it and SD's blitzes are child's play compare to the heat Philly will bring.

THAT's what I'm talking about.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Anthony Thomas is a very solid RB2.
I like him and like him where he is.

Tyson has a ways to go before I have confidence in his ability to play all facets of football.... not just running real fast around the edge.

TLW47

Reaction score
Vick is a running back playing QB. He's fun to watch running but his passing is horrid.

I wonder if Vince Young will do the same in the NFL?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TLW47 said:
Vick is a running back playing QB. He's fun to watch running but his passing is horrid.

I think if Young wants to be a QB in the NFL he should stay at UT his senior year. I think he needs to continue to work on his passing game. I see some improvement in that phase of his game but I think he would be better served by staying that extra year

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

Tyson has a ways to go before I have confidence in his ability to play all facets of football.... not just running real fast around the edge.

Thomas is solid. So is vanilla ice cream. Tyson isn't going to progress as a RB pulling splinters out of his butt on the bench. He has SPEED which with an immobile QB is one way you counter the blitz. If Thomas is in the game tell me who's going to worry about him making them pay with a big play running or receiving? So you can send people up the middle and not worry about the edges- that's how teams go after DB. Look at DB in Buffalo last year. When Travis Henry was the RB teams blitzed at will and the Bills lost. When McGahee took over teams feared his speed and backed off some and the Bills went 9-2. Thompson just needs a chance IMO.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TLW47 said:

Vince Young is a much better pocket passer than Vick. I think he will look more like Culpepper than Vick. A big strong QB who can run when he needs to but who can throw the ball from the pocket with accuracy and consistency as well. He needs a little more development but he will end up being much better than Vick.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:

Thomas is inconsistent; some days he looks real good and other days he just can't find the hole. Barber hasn't shown me anything either so I agree I'd like to see Thompson get the relief duty.

Thompson needs more experience and exposure but RB is the one position where a player can come in and just do his thing and succeed if he has the talent...It doesn’t require a lot of experience to be effective as a runner. Plus I have seen Thompson do a good job picking up blitzes so he has the basics for it down; now he just needs to do it against the 1st stringers for us to know how good he is...or is not.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
TLW47 said:

Well, he can throw the ball better, and he doesn't seem to have happy feet, but I've only seen him play once. While he didn't dominate Ohio State, he won the game, so credit where credit is due.