Some thoughts on the season

ddh33

Reaction score
Well, it's over now. Pretty unsatisfying end to an otherwise enjoyable season.

Cowboys, welcome to Mavs-land. Your regular season won't mean anything. You will be labeled as "chokers", though it isn't necessarily deserved. Worst of all, people will forget about the good times of this season and just how special it was. Some of us will remember though, and we'll be here all year to follow every move and rumor.

As much as anyone, I got swept up in just how good this team was. The funny thing about that was how I was pacing myself before the season. I knew that Wade would not only need some time to put in his own system, but I thought he would need some more of his kind of players too. I thought the offense might need a little more seasoning too. Of course, at 11-1, you lose all perspective. In my case, I simply thought, why not this team? Now, I know. But I like the talent here, and I like the guys here.

I feel awfully bad for Jerry Jones. No one wanted to win more than him.

I feel pretty bad for Wade too. People will hold his team's playoff record against him, and I guess that's life. He lost a heart-breaker with Buffalo, and this one hurts pretty bad too.

I thought the defense got better as the season went along. It will all be forgotten about after today, I'm sure. But I really wish the team had back the awful tackling on Toomer's long touchdown, and I wish they had back that last drive of the first half. That's where this game changed, in my opinion...

The offense sputtered down the stretch - not just tonight but the season. And no, Skip, I don't think the league figured out Romo. This may surprise some people, but I think that group needs more talent. Mainly, I think they need more speed. Teams made Dallas dink and dunk to end the season, and it worked pretty well. The Cowboys still made a lot of big plays for the season, but it sure felt like scoring points became tougher. I mean, it's either a really good sign or a really bad sign that it takes you 20 plays to go 80 yards for a touchdown. Felt a little too tough tonight.

Romo can quarterback my team anytime though. He made a few bad plays today, but they were effort mistakes. I'll live with those. I wish the team had more of his personality at some other positions.

TO can play on my team too. His post-game interview about made me tear up. That guy has got more heart than most realize. And how about working to get back on the field in the first place?

Jason Witten still gets my vote for the best TE in the game.

Barber probably should have been starting all season long. That guy is a beast! I thought he might have actually been a little overworked today though. It was hard to tell because the line was struggling in the second half, but he didn't have the same second half as the first. Regardless of what it was, I'd like him to have a little help.

Julius Jones, I wish you well somewhere else. Unlike some fans, I don't actually hate you. I think you will do well elsewhere. This team needs something else though, and I know you do too.

Patrick Crayton really hurt himself today. Crayton talked too much all season long, and he didn't back it up much today. I like his hands, and I like his versatility, and I think he's a nice guy to have on the team. He's not my #2 though. At least, he's not someone I want to rely on for big plays.

I'd like another big play receiver. That's high on my summer wish list. I don't have a ton of confidence in the guys currently here, and while I like Stanback as much as anyone, I don't think I want to rely on him making that kind of huge leap.

The offensive line was awfully good for most of the season, but I thought that group was the part of the team that faltered most down the stretch. Maybe that is more perception than reality, but it seemed like they wore down. They might have all been a little more knicked up than anyone let on. They might have been out of game shape. They might have been off because of Gurode being out for the last month. And, they might have just been out-played. I thought that group really struggled in the second half though. They also had some frustrating penalties that I would like to see remedied somehow.

I thought the D-Line was very solid this season. Marcus Spears just gets crushed by fans, but I like him. Teams don't run on his side much. Canty flashes too, and Ratliff is part of this defense's heartbeat. I'm as curious as everyone else to see what happens at NT next season. We know Ratliff can do that job, but I wonder if he'll be lining up elsewehere?

You have to appreciate the OLBs too. Ware is a monster. Ellis was huge this year. Even Anthony Spencer looks plenty good. I thought the ILBs didn't really make enough plays. Bradie was in on a ton of tackles, and he's a leader on this team. Ayodele is a very solid player. I would like a little more playmaking, but I may be asking for too much when I think about how often this team goes into sub-packages.

The secondary was a little iffy this season. Newman is one of the best in the business. It's that simple. No one can reasonably argue that. Henry never really inspires confidence with me. I don't like his injury history, and I always worry about his lack of speed. Jacques Reeves was serviceable, and he probably gets picked on too much by fans, but then, he gets picked on by opposing teams too. He might as well be wearing a target half the time. Roy Williams only gets blame from a lot of fans, but he was very good tonight against the Giants, and he hasn't been a problem this season. Hamlin was a find, and I like his leadership. I'd like to see him resigned.

I'd really like another corner though!

I was very disappointed with the special teams this season. Austin is a good KOR. Crayton is solid as a PR. I'd like some more explosion there. But even if that doesn't happen, what I really want is better coverage. That hurt the team several times, and it really hurt tonight.

But most of all, I'd like to start next season in about three weeks. I sure hate having to wait around so long for more Cowboys' football. There will be free agency and the draft and mini-camps and a ton of wish-lists. But this was a fun season. I hate to see it end the way it did to who it did. But that's part of the game. Like Tony said, "I love this game."