Someone explain this to me

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I swear ....... if people do not understand what really happened last year (nothing to do with RB) ....... then no ...... nobody can explain it to you.

Confirmation bias is a powerful force.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Jerry did not pay Demarco because he fumbled to much and that big fumble against GB sealed it. If Murray does not fumble and takes it to the house he's a Cowboy today.

By that logic, why did he give Romo a ridiculous extension when he has made mistakes in big games as well?
Romo's never won anything either.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
All QB's make mistakes and all QB's are overpaid and Romo's deal is no different. Based on his accomplishments his pay fell rigiht in line where it should be.

Exactly. All players make mistakes. It's sports. It's what makes it fun and also gut wrenching at the same time. I don't believe he was allowed to walk because of a few fumbles, even if one was in a playoff game. Without Murray that year, we are nowhere near what we were.

Jerry and Stephen believed their OL was so good they could just plug any guy back there and would get the same results. But they were wrong. They wanted to save money at a position they don't put a premium on. Yet, any of our success in the last 2 and a half decades, is usually tied to a very solid running game. We don't have a Brady or Rodgers that can win with the main focus on the passing game. Romo needs a running game or this team just isn't going places. 2007 and 2014 were the 2 best teams we've had in the Romo era. Both have the same common denominator. Solid run game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen believed their OL was so good they could just plug any guy back there and would get the same results. But they were wrong.
How were they wrong when the YPA didn't fall especially with crap at QB and no Dez?

Proximo

Reaction score
You didn't realize that the issue last season with the offense was at the QB position, and not at RB?

I swear it seems like nobody realizes we had a thousand yard rusher in Darren and he didn't really start getting carries until several weeks in. That's pretty good, especially considering no one respected our passing game with no Dez and backup QB's in there.

Our biggest offseason "acquisitions" are Tony Romo and Dez Bryant.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry did not pay Demarco because he fumbled to much and that big fumble against GB sealed it. If Murray does not fumble and takes it to the house he's a Cowboy today.

that may have been a factor.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With the money we offered a 3rd-4th tier D today, and what we gave Alfred Morris yesterday, we could have kept Demarco Murray last year with the same money. I don't care if you like how we are approaching FA or not, that's crazy. Potentially 20 Million on two guys with question marks...Why?

the jones boys felt they could get by without murray, but they did offer him more $ than they have offered any other RB.
The jones boys screwed up, they paid for it in 2015, and Murray screwed up too, he paid for it in 2015, and now is in Tenn.

The way I see it now is the jones should have offered more base on incentives,and murray should have taken less, and
stayed in Dallas.
I think he could have made up for it in off field $ had he stayed in dallas.

He got the bigger payday, but may have hurt his long term career.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The jones boys screwed up
It's pretty clear they didn't. In fact they did the right thing by not overpaying for Murray. He isn't a elite back and never will be. You don't give non elite players elite money.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's pretty clear they didn't. In fact they did the right thing by not overpaying for Murray. He isn't a elite back and never will be. You don't give non elite players elite money.

LOL you never give up !
It is really a matter of opinion there are no absolutes involved.
I find it odd so many were so concerned about overpaying murray, but are ok with other players being over payed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL you never give up !
It is really a matter of opinion there are no absolutes involved.
I find it odd so many were so concerned about overpaying murray, but are ok with other players being over payed.

It might be a matter of opinion, but you're not going to find many opinions that think Murray was a good value for the contract he ended up signing. Had we beaten the PHI offer, ours would have been that much worse.

My own opinion is that it would have been 100% stupid to re-sign Murray at that rate. And I don't think many on this site are in favor of intentionally paying more than a player is worth to the team in normal circumstances, much less when that player is also almost at the end of his useful life as a football player. We'll see if Murray's able to reverse-course and make that deal of his not look disastrous this season in TEN. He's older now than he was, though, and with more mileage. Which means it's that much less likely.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Robinson and Mularkey have made no secret of their plans for a smashmouth offensive attack going forward.

"The style of football that we're going to play," Robinson said Wednesday, "is downhill, run the football, be a physical football team."

From Mularkey's point of view, that style will help protect Mariota from further injuries while providing for more open looks in the passing game.

"Marcus will be a better quarterback if our run game gets going," Mularkey explained. "This offense is built around balance, and if the run game is not functioning like we want it to function, it's going to affect everything. It's going to affect our passing game, it's going to affect our defense, it's going to affect our team. So the running game, we've got to get it going."

Bishop Sankey, the 54th overall selection in the 2014 draft, was long ago banished to the bench in no small part due to ball security issues. Speed-challenged Antonio Andrews led the team in rushing (520 yards) last season, but was benched in late December for fumbling. He also missed a blocking assignment that led to Marcus Mariota's season-ending knee injury.

So this is why they got Murray, and if he can correct his own fumble issue, then he should go over 1000 yds easily.
I think Tenn may win that div this year.
Will be interesting to see how he does there.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen believed their OL was so good they could just plug any guy back there and would get the same results. But they were wrong. They wanted to save money at a position they don't put a premium on. Yet, any of our success in the last 2 and a half decades, is usually tied to a very solid running game. We don't have a Brady or Rodgers that can win with the main focus on the passing game. Romo needs a running game or this team just isn't going places. 2007 and 2014 were the 2 best teams we've had in the Romo era. Both have the same common denominator. Solid run game.

How were they wrong when the YPA didn't fall especially with crap at QB and no Dez?

I would like to see this answer.