Something has to give. (QB Salaries)

Dre11

Reaction score
There wasn't as much information then as there is now about paying QB's.

It was obviously a mistake paying him like we did.

Now that we have that information it would be stupid to make the same mistake. I understand though a lot of you have no problem being stupid and will cheer Jerry on while he does it.

what information? when you need a qb, and you have one, you pay him, they don't grow on trees, the information is the sorry *** track record of evaluating and finding franchise qbs....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
what information? when you need a qb, and you have one, you pay him, they don't grow on trees, the information is the sorry *** track record of evaluating and finding franchise qbs....

Yeah.. Old way of thinking..

Pay your Dak's.. Accept your mediocrity. All there is to it.

The market currently screws your team if you participate in it with non elites like Dak.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah.. Old way of thinking..

Pay your Dak's.. Accept your mediocrity. All there is to it.

The market currently screws your team if you participate in it with non elites like Dak.

it's not an old way of thinking, qbs don't grow on trees, the league track record is terrible on qbs. facts

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
it's not an old way of thinking, qbs don't grow on trees, the league track record is terrible on qbs. facts

Almost everyone has a QB or a QB they like.

Non-elite QB's don't matter.

Dre11

Reaction score
Almost everyone has a QB or a QB they like.

Non-elite QB's don't matter.

no they don't, most have a qb they stuck with...lol and most would upgrade if they could you're dilusional

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
no they don't, most have a qb they stuck with...lol and most would upgrade if they could you're dilusional

What team would sell the farm for Dak?

Dak's contract and trade compensation would be an anchor for most situations including us.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have been critical of NFL GM’s emphasis on QB salaries and perceived “market value.” Right now Mahomes is probably at the top of the pecking order in terms of QBs. His salary averages $45m per year. That’s too much, but at least he is the best in the game.

Let’s say you bring in a journeyman QB placeholder to pair with a draft pick as a bridge to the future. What is the journeyman QB worth?

I would argue if he can’t get you to the SB—- not much. Why pay even half of what Mahomes is being paid, if the QB can’t deliver you a championship?

I have been saying for a long time that NFL coaches were looking for a specific type of player instead of the best football player. Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield....none of them (and others) fit the historical QB prototype.

Now that teams are looking outside the standard cookie cutter QB they are starting to find more viable QBs.

Back to salary—-Dak may get paid $40m per year but he is no where nearly as good as Mahomes. I wouldn’t pay Dak more than $35M —-and if he wanted more than that—-I would be looking for a new QB.

Dak can get you to a SB but man, he looked very pedestrian at times, especially against better competition. It’s arguable that he’s not even a top 10QB.

I would like to have Dak playing QB for us for the next 5 years. But $40m per year is stupid money, and I hope the Cowboys dig in and don’t pay it, if that is what Dak as asking for. Flip Dak for picks and move on.

:clap:
You are very generous to want Dak to have $35 mil, me lad, but even that is too much when taking overall production into account. What's he done? To what heights has he taken us?
Forget the dinky passes and his potential that now, with a bad foot, is in question.

Jerry has gotten caught up in this myth that Dak is franchise material.:huh:

In a just world, $10 mil-$20 mil would be ample. Ample!
Consider this: If we give Dak his greed money, is that is 1/5 of our salary cap?
DUDE, THERE ARE 50-PLUS OTHERS ON THE TEAM!!!!!!
Dunderphooey! Dunderphooey!
Dak is not a generational talent. He's just a bus driver, and now a rehabbing bus driver. Not even the crazy Raiders would consider him prime material.

Hoping for some sanity re the Dak issue. Too bad that this average QB has us all like a dysfunctional family, blokes.:oops: He' not worth the trouble.

Dre11

Reaction score
What team would sell the farm for Dak?

Dak's contract and trade compensation would be an anchor for most situations including us.

doesn't matter what team would sell the farm for him, we need a qb, we have a qb, pay him

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
There's really not a million ways on this Cowboys roster. They can restructure Cooper. But you don't want to do that with Zeke and Jaylon Smith. Probably better off moving on from them in the next two years. Tyrone Smith is on his way out. They can clear up space there. Then maybe dump DLaw in 2 years. Now they have plenty of space. Good luck.
:clap:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The Jones's will have a figure that they believe Dak is worth and won't exceed it. Dak's position is not as strong as many think.
The supply of quality NFL QB's is far below the demand right now. I believe Dak's position is a strong as it's ever been.

Dre11

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing to indicate Dak can get us to a SB. You have to put up better than average performances against what is more often than not, good teams and adequate defenses, for multiple games.

Dak has to get them to the super bowl? you mean nobody else plays? I mean Garapolo got to the super bowl, He's better than him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
even if you deal him, you still have to find a replacement, also he has to sign off on the deal.
of course, and why I endorse the non exclusive tag.
Look, Im all for a fair deal, but the cap that Dak and his team are asking, you can almost rebuild your entire defense.
I would rather roll the dice and put some key components in place,, if I have to gamble on finding a QB that would want to come here when this defense
is finally rolling in a positive direction, than at this point I will gladly take that chance, over revisiting what we have been witnessing as a total failure for how many years now?
Do we love living in mediocrity.. maybe you do but I would rather try a different build model that seems to be quite successful of late for some teams that have done just that.
I want Lombardi's, not lame 8-8 excuses.