Something to consider... Carpenter

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Within the next two years we have Witten, Williams, James, Newman as FA's. If any were to leave it would be James. If we draft Carpenter he can play all 4 LB positions. Start him this year at OLB, James leaves, move him to ILB, by then Burnett would be ready to take over at OLB. Lawson/Wimbley I don't think could ever play inside and the jury is still out if Burnett can.

Just a thought.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
DBOY3141 said:
Within the next two years we have Witten, Williams, James, Newman as FA's. If any were to leave it would be James. If we draft Carpenter he can play all 4 LB positions. Start him this year at OLB, James leaves, move him to ILB, by then Burnett would be ready to take over at OLB. Lawson/Wimbley I don't think could ever play inside and the jury is still out if Burnett can.

Just a thought.

Another benefit of Carpenter.

However, I don't think we let Bradie go next season. He was vital to our 3-4. But in case of injury, it sure would be nice to have Carpenter there....

ghst187

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Another benefit of Carpenter.

However, I don't think we let Bradie go next season. He was vital to our 3-4. But in case of injury, it sure would be nice to have Carpenter there....

I agree, we've spent too much on James already. We wasted 3 years waiting for him to finally come around, now he has, we shouldn't let him go.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I agree, we've spent too much on James already. We wasted 3 years waiting for him to finally come around, now he has, we shouldn't let him go.

I wouldn't say he's come around already. He needs to get better.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Jerry never lets good players get away. That is something that nobody has to worry about.

Me, I like Carpenter -- I think he's a better fit than Lawson or Wimberely -- neither of whom are great against the run - which is what they need to do first.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Jerry never lets good players get away. That is something that nobody has to worry about.

Me, I like Carpenter -- I think he's a better fit than Lawson or Wimberely -- neither of whom are great against the run - which is what they need to do first.

He has before. Randall Godfrey and Ken Norton Jr come to mind.

Although that was back when the cowboys didn't pay LBs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
He has before. Randall Godfrey and Ken Norton Jr come to mind.

Emmitt Smith, Larry Brown, Godfrey Myles, Mark Stepnoski, Alvin Harper, Kenneth Gant, Dixon Edwards, Brock Marion, Robert Jones, Russell Maryland........

proline

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Emmitt Smith, Larry Brown, Godfrey Myles, Mark Stepnoski, Alvin Harper, Kenneth Gant, Dixon Edwards, Brock Marion, Robert Jones, Russell Maryland........

Did any of those guys go on to do anything great anywhere else?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ken Norton, Kevin Gogan, and Brock Marion all became pro bowl players with their other teams. Randall Godfrey and Mark Stepnoski continued to have very good careers. Godfrey still is playing well for SD.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
1. we have 12.6 million i cap space
2. James is young, young = good. James is still improving and i like the leadership he brings to this team, something he does do much better than dat.
3. i think James and Ayodele are coming together well (judged by interviews) and they are both leaders (i follow the jags) and together i think they might prove to be the leaders of our defense/team.
4. releasing james isnt worth it, i dont see him being a cap casualty and even if there is some1 better the saying goes, "there are never enough LB's in a 3-4" so we keep him for depth if more talent comes along.

no matter what i say we keep james around!

btw we have the cap space (#1) to resign our vets and not even have to worry about coming close to the cap.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Who would release James? After the season is over he will be a free agent, depending on his play vs. Burnett & Ayodele's play; and the contract he asks for will determine if he stays or not.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Don't forget Ron Stone.

Jerry has let lots of LBs go but we played a different defense and were in a completely different cap situation at the time.

blindzebra

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
1. we have 12.6 million i cap space
2. James is young, young = good. James is still improving and i like the leadership he brings to this team, something he does do much better than dat.
3. i think James and Ayodele are coming together well (judged by interviews) and they are both leaders (i follow the jags) and together i think they might prove to be the leaders of our defense/team.
4. releasing james isnt worth it, i dont see him being a cap casualty and even if there is some1 better the saying goes, "there are never enough LB's in a 3-4" so we keep him for depth if more talent comes along.

no matter what i say we keep james around!

btw we have the cap space (#1) to resign our vets and not even have to worry about coming close to the cap.

James a better leader than Dat?

Dude what are you smoking?:rolleyes:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Ron Stone left and played in some probowls I believe

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
DBOY3141 said:

Just a thought.

Unfortunately, I did not see Carpenter play very much, however, the more I read about him.......hum....makes you wonder

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:
James a better leader than Dat?

Dude what are you smoking?:rolleyes:

I think it is far fetched to say James is a better leader on the Cowboys than Dat...as we don't really hear much about James in the locker room.

But I would doubt that it would be a stretch to think that James is not a leader or can not be a leader...since he was at LSU.

Still no way of knowing if he is or will ever be a better leader than Dat was.

So although i agree it may sound far fetched as of now, does not mean it really is far fetched yet.

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Several of these guys left because they thought they were better than they actually were and the $$$ were there for the taking! Smith was getting older and slower, Gant was a druggie!:starspin

AbeBeta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

How many of these guys were in their prime? very few.

how many of these guys were recent? none.