Something to Prove: Cowboys RG Zack Martin edition

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty good article about Martin. How does he rebound after the worst of his career?

Something to Prove: Cowboys RG Zack Martin edition
K.D. Drummond July 16, 2024

USATSI_23477285.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys are currently making their packing checklist, getting ready to embark on their westward journey to the friendly breezes of the Pacific Ocean. Sweltering heat has captivated much of the nation, and of course Texas is no exception. But in Oxnard, CA the highs are peaceful and actual outside work can get done.

That work will be important for right guard Zack Martin, who held out for almost three weeks last training camp before getting his final two contract years guaranteed. The money was deserved, as Martin had been at the top of the game for a long period of time. Only, whether it was old addage of thinking about retirement meaning you’re already there, the lack of those three weeks of prep work or something else, Martin did not perform up to his usual standards in 2023. So now even an assured, first-ballot Hall of Famer has something to prove in 2024.

What We Know
Question 1: Is Father Time catching up with Martin?
Question 2: Was the struggle because of the holdout?
What We Expect in 2024
Prediction

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...utlook/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He held out of training camp for more money last summer then ends up having the worst season of his career. Hate to dump on Zack, but the players on this team just seem to care about money. Once they get it, it’s downhill from there. It really bothers me when you see a player get paid more money and they end up having a bad year.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
He held out of training camp for more money last summer then ends up having the worst season of his career. Hate to dump on Zack, but the players on this team just seem to care about money. Once they get it, it’s downhill from there. It really bothers me when you see a player get paid more money and they end up having a bad year.
Ouch.........but sadly spot on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think missing 3 weeks of training camp was a contributing factor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think missing 3 weeks of training camp was a contributing factor.

That probably played a part but I think Zack knew he’s on the decline and saw this as his last chance to get paid more money.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
That probably played a part but I think Zack knew he’s on the decline and saw this as his last chance to get paid more money.
I'm 52 and felt the decline many, many years ago. It's strange as your "fitness" can be brilliant and i worked mega hard in my 40s to stay fit but the little things that you could do at 28 just aren't there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm 52 and felt the decline many, many years ago. It's strange as your "fitness" can be brilliant and i worked mega hard in my 40s to stay fit but the little things that you could do at 28 just aren't there.
NFL players decline a lot quicker. It depends on the player and the position they play. A lot of wear and tear playing on the OL. Zack will be entering his 9th season. He was fighting some injuries last season. Hopefully it’s not a repeat this season.

Praxit

Reaction score
...you can expect the guy to be the same all these NFL years.

He's aging and its showing. He might have good 2 yrs left.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Broncos guard Quinn Meinerz just signed an extension for 4 years, $80M, and $45M guaranteed.

If you're asking yourself "who is Quinn Meinerz," you're not alone. The guard market just exploded this offseason, to the point where it's hard to consider Martin overpaid.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think it has to do more with missed time. It often seems when players hold out they have injury troubles. Martin even alluded to that himself. Missing reps getting ready for the season often seems to come back to bite players even if they keep themselves in shape while away. Once you start off with an injury, it seems you often get another because you are playing differently to protect the injured area or compensating for it.