Sophomore DLs Barmore, Rousseau

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Some may prefer more experienced linemen such as Marvin Wilson to contribute year 1.

These two very young Defensive Linemen may need seasoning to eventually meet expectations. Still, one of these may be a tempting tradedown target. Rousseau seems to be a prototype end with huge size. Barmore could probably play anywhere.

Tyler Shelvin huge NT from LSU could be available in the 3rd.

DL is supposedly not a strength in this draft, but it sure would be nice to come away with two of 'em.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im alot more interested in Barmore now that his stock is looking like 2nd round

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Bad year to need DTs. We're better off spending a few dollars in free agency on a lineman than painting ourselves into a corner of drafting one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Some may prefer more experienced linemen such as Marvin Wilson to contribute year 1.

These two very young Defensive Linemen may need seasoning to eventually meet expectations. Still, one of these may be a tempting tradedown target. Rousseau seems to be a prototype end with huge size. Barmore could probably play anywhere.

Tyler Shelvin huge NT from LSU could be available in the 3rd.

DL is supposedly not a strength in this draft, but it sure would be nice to come away with two of 'em.

Shelvin doesn’t give you much as a pass rusher but he is a monster against the run. Highest graded run defender in SEC at DT.

He’s someone I’d keep an eye on in mid rounds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Shelvin doesn’t give you much as a pass rusher but he is a monster against the run. Highest graded run defender in SEC at DT.

Shelvin/Davis are those traditional NT's that Nolan would covet for his scheme.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
We're still on the traditional NT thing?

These guys are useless.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We're still on the traditional NT thing?

These guys are useless.

The current top 3 defenses in the NFL in YPG and PPG allowed (Colts, Rams, Ravens) all employ traditional NTs. I personally feel a fatass NT that demands a double team with a pass rushing 3-Tech next to him is the combo to go.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Shelvin and Parsons with Holland/Boehrig in the second sounds like a great top 3 picks

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The current top 3 defenses in the NFL in YPG and PPG allowed (Colts, Rams, Ravens) all employ traditional NTs. I personally feel a fatass NT that demands a double team with a pass rushing 3-Tech next to him is the combo to go.
Neither the Colts nor the Rams do. The Ravens rank 22nd in YPC.

A fatass NT doesn't get double teamed because they are so easily sealed. I agree that you want a 1-tech, but you draw a double by being able to penetrate and disrupt.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Neither the Colts nor the Rams do. The Ravens rank 22nd in YPC.

A fatass NT doesn't get double teamed because they are so easily sealed. I agree that you want a 1-tech, but you draw a double by being able to penetrate and disrupt.
I think wed have to compare other 2 gap defenses. I dont know what those teams run but it seems we arent looking for penetrating DTs anymore. (Another reason Hill needs to go)

cnuball21

Reaction score
Shelvin and Parsons with Holland/Boehrig in the second sounds like a great top 3 picks

I think Shelvin would be a good compliment to Gallimore who we just drafted. Gallimore has some pass rush potential but I don't think he has the anchor to consistently impact the running game. Shelvin gives you a bit of the opposite and you hope he can develop more as a pass rusher.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
'

I hope so...we've been allergic to those types of players in prior years.
Dontari Poe was just here for 6 weeks and was supposed to turn the page on that previous thinking. AFTER he leaves is when the defense started playing well.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dontari Poe was just here for 6 weeks and was supposed to turn the page on that previous thinking. AFTER he leaves is when the defense started playing well.

Yup, he was a miss. Hope that doesn’t stop up from being aggressive in FA moving forward.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Shelvin would be a good compliment to Gallimore who we just drafted. Gallimore has some pass rush potential but I don't think he has the anchor to consistently impact the running game. Shelvin gives you a bit of the opposite and you hope he can develop more as a pass rusher.

A lot will depend on if Nolan stays on as the team's DC. MM has stated he wants a multiple defense and is unwilling to change from that. Saying this, they are going to target a natural NT who can play in any alignment. Shelvin is an ideal fit for that role. It wouldn't surprise me if they double dipped at the position and even have certain alignments where both on the field.