Sorry Hos, my new favorite prospect...

50cent

Reaction score
Thomas Howard: Plays OLB and a monster.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Thomas Howard: 6'3'' 240 4.38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott Wright: You actually walked on at U.T.E.P. and began your career as a defensive back. How did you evolve into a linebacker and how do you feel that experience in the secondary has helped you at your current position?

Thomas Howard: Yes, I did walk on at UTEP. I thought that I was going to receive a scholarship, but I didn't make the cut so I walked on. My freshmen year, red shirt freshmen year that is, I gained a solid fifteen pounds which took me to about 215 or 220 pounds and I have just put on a few pounds every year after that. Coming from the secondary, I have the speed of a safety or even faster and my ball handling skills are as good as you are going to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott Wright: You have some entertainment roots in your family with your father having been drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs (1977) and your cousin a member of the musical group En Vogue. Do you feel you're better prepared for the fame that awaits you?

Thomas Howard: Well, I don't really know my cousin from in En Vogue, if she was to walk by me on the street she would not know me from you, so... But the stories and lessons that my father shares with me about his experiences in the league and in college can't do anything but help me. If it is fame that awaits me, then I will takie it in stride, one day at a time and ask God to guide me with my every move.

Scott Wright: Up until last year U.T.E.P. wasn't talked about much by the national media. Do you feel you are still underrated as a player and prospect because you don't play at a "traditional powerhouse" program?

Thomas Howard: Well, there is no doubt about it, that bigger programs get more publicity, then the quote / un-quote mid major schools. But as time goes along, folks are going to find out about you if you're a good player because a good thing can't hide forever. Just like David Carr when he played down at Fresno State, it wasn't that hard for the everyone to finally find out how good he was. But that's just how it is. But I do believe that this year will be good for me now that my name is out there more than it was last year.

Scott Wright: What do you feel is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you feel you need to improve in?

Thomas Howard: My strongest area is my speed, playing from sideline to sideline, and my ability to rush the passer.

Scott Wright: What NFL linebacker do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Thomas Howard: I admire any NFL player who is taking this opportunity in their lives to give back to the community, take care of their families and is a positive role model to all the kids growing up, watching them and dreaming about one day being in their position. I'm not sure exactly, but people have said that my body style and game reminds them of Keith Bullock of the Tennessee Titians. I have not actually watched his game too close, but I know he is a good one.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Thomas Howard: I am not sure, but I know that we play some good backs this year in DonTrell Moore and DeAngelo Williams.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Thomas Howard: My first start in college football came as a red shirt freshman, we were playing the Rice Owls at home on homecoming, a game that we won by a field goal. But the game had a lot of lead changes, and in the 4th Quarter I scooped a fumble caused by Kamal High, our starting DE at the time, and ran 54 yards for a TD.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college and pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Thomas Howard: My favorite professional team growing up was the Green Bay Packers. Just like the rest of the country I enjoyed watching Deion Sanders play and seeing whether or not he would run a punt return back for a TD.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Thomas Howard: That has been by dream since I was a kid, so I never thought that I didn't have a chance to play in the NFL. I knew that it would take hard work.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Thomas Howard: Make sure that I manage my money right. There are too many former players in the NFL who are broke now, so I would do my damndest to make sure that I take care of my money and keep a thousand eyes on those who are suppose to be helping me to manage my money. That way at the end of my career I'll be able to take the money that I made playing and flip it over and over again, in whatever career I decide to make my main focus.

Scott Wright: Is there one player on the team that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Thomas Howard: Quinton Demps, he already has that big play mentality, and he is a Big Time player that is an explosive impact player on our team. If and when he intercepts the ball look out because he is heading for the crib (to the house). He reminds me a lot of Ed Reed becuase he is always around the ball when it is in the air. Look for him to have a big year and to be asking him these same questions a few years from now because he is only a sophmore.

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Thomas Howard: I'll probably get my mom a house or something like that. That will probably be my first big purchase. And then take my daughter and my nieces and newphews shopping.

Scott Wright: Obviously it is still very early, but do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (Round One, Top Three Rounds, etc.)?

Thomas Howard: Of course I do, but I'll keep that to myself. But I would be lying if I told you I did not want to go in the 1st round. But only time wilI time.

Scott Wright: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck!

Thomas Howard: God Bless.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It's cool 50, but I'm going to stick with Mathias Kiwanuka, Ahmed Brooks, and Haloti Ngata for now.

Gotta admit, AJ Hawk impressed me last week. He's on the radar now.

For now, I still would take Kiwanuka.

fortdick

Reaction score
UTEP, the powerhouse of college football. Don't they play in Fritos Stadium or something like that?

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick said:
UTEP, the powerhouse of college football. Don't they play in Fritos Stadium or something like that?

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

No...they play in El Paso, NM...? I think? So...stop making fun of them.... :rolleyes:

50cent

Reaction score
Hostile said:
It's cool 50, but I'm going to stick with Mathias Kiwanuka, Ahmed Brooks, and Haloti Ngata for now.

Gotta admit, AJ Hawk impressed me last week. He's on the radar now.

For now, I still would take Kiwanuka.
I'm keeping my eye on all of em, but he he is a monster from what I saw and more likely to fall in our range in next years draft. UTEP is not a powerhouse, but Price has them playing well.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
fortdick said:
A lot of teams wish they had scouted "powerhouse" Mississippi Valley State in 1985.

:rolleyes:

50cent

Reaction score
Or how about my Alma Mater, Jackson State University in the 70s!

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Don't hate on utep. Oh, and we're in Texas, not New Mexico, genuis.

Hiero

Reaction score
U.T.E.P. university of texas el paso, isnt a hard thing to figure out... lol

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
Tio said:

Damn! See...I got it confused...NM/TX...UTEP...University of Texas in El Paso! Got Chile? (hot chile)... ?

Thanks, genious! Your are a genious three~

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
50cent said:
Thomas Howard: Plays OLB and a monster.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Thomas Howard: 6'3'' 240 4.38 .

Welllll, it IS nice that the rest of the country is becoming aware of what we Miners have known for some time now... welcome to the Thomas Howard bandwagon... think of him as a bigger, more physical Dexter Coakley... heck, he might even be faster than Coakley...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mkyle said:
Damn! See...I got it confused...NM/TX...UTEP...University of Texas in El Paso! Got Chile? (hot chile)... ?

Thanks, genious! Your are a genious three~

Tio said:

:lmao2:

I'm sorry guys. I can't help it. Both took shots and goofed on the same word in different ways. Norman Einstein would be proud.

:lmao2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
50cent said:
Or how about my Alma Mater, Jackson State University in the 70s!
Can I get an amen?

We need to look at guys from powerhouses like Gino Torreta, Curtis Enis, and Brian Bosworth.

It's an education 50.

50cent

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Welllll, it IS nice that the rest of the country is becoming aware of what we Miners have known for some time now... welcome to the Thomas Howard bandwagon... think of him as a bigger, more physical Dexter Coakley... heck, he might even be faster than Coakley...
When I saw him, I couldn't believe my eyes. He's a freak and would make a nice book end with Ware. Bigger than Singleton and better pass rushing skills. I know its early, but if and only if we got him at OLB. We could move Burnett to MLB and use that 3 man MLB rotation BP was talking about yesterday. I'm nuts for thinking about how we can improve this team next year so early.

50cent

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'd love Ahmad Brooks, chances are he'll be long gone by the time we pick though
Yeah, right now I would have to rate my favorites:
1a: Brooks
1b: Mathias
1c: Thomas

But 1a and 1b will probably be gone by the time we draft as well as Hawk. Thomas reminds me every bit of Julian Peterson but not as tall but much faster. He can cover his azz off and gets off the edge like Ware.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
50cent said:
Yeah, right now I would have to rate my favorites:
1a: Brooks
1b: Mathias
1c: Thomas

But 1a and 1b will probably be gone by the time we draft as well as Hawk. Thomas reminds me every bit of Julian Peterson but not as tall but much faster. He can cover his azz off and gets off the edge like Ware.

Does he also have a fragile ACL and a habit of moaning about his contract? ;)

50cent

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Does he also have a fragile ACL and a habit of moaning about his contract? ;)
Nope, its his achilles but I know what you mean. And I don't give a damn what he moans about as long as he makes the QB moan.