silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
50cent said:
Yeah, right now I would have to rate my favorites:
1a: Brooks
1b: Mathias
1c: Thomas

But 1a and 1b will probably be gone by the time we draft as well as Hawk. Thomas reminds me every bit of Julian Peterson but not as tall but much faster. He can cover his azz off and gets off the edge like Ware.

Aw, I don't think that Thomas Howard is a first round prospect, at least not yet... going into the season, he was regarded as about a 5th or 6th rounder, but many games like last week's and he will surely climb the charts...

And if he runs anything close to that 4.38 at the combine, he'll climb even further... but as of today, he's probably worked his way up to about a 3rd round prospect...

It's that UTEP factor working against him...

50cent

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Aw, I don't think that Thomas Howard is a first round prospect, at least not yet... going into the season, he was regarded as about a 5th or 6th rounder, but many games like last week's and he will surely climb the charts...

And if he runs anything close to that 4.38 at the combine, he'll climb even further... but as of today, he's probably worked his way up to about a 3rd round prospect...

It's that UTEP factor working against him...
I know Kiper has been wrong before, but guys this high on his list usually pan out as 1st rounders. Its only a senior ranking but I like it:

1. Matt Leinart, QB, USC (6-foot-4¼,225 pounds) | previous rank: same
Leinart does not have a cannon arm but does have a keen understanding of the complex offense and barring injury he should remain at the top of the draft board. He is super accurate, distributes his passes all over the field and always knows where to go with the ball.

Matt Leinart has thrown 71 TD passes the last two years.2. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State (6-1½, 242) | previous rank: 3
An instinctive player and sure tackler, Hawk racked up an amazing 141 total tackles last season. He knows which angles to take to the ball and finds his way through traffic very well. There is very little separating Hawk from Chad Greenway, whose teams will face each other Sept. 24 in Columbus.

3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia (6-5½, 295) | previous rank: 4
Ferguson is light on his feet, has long arms and is a superior overall tackle. He toys with defensive ends in pass protection and is also a very good run blocker.

4. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa (6-2½, 244) | previous rank: 2
Has become one of the top-flight linebackers in the nation over the last two years. A smart player with great physical skills, Greenway knows how to find the ball and can go all over the field to get to it.

5. Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA (6-6, 258) | previous rank: same
Lewis has legit 4.5 speed and a perfect frame for the position, and the UCLA staff needs to take it upon itself to improve significantly on last year's total of 32 receptions. There is no reason Lewis can't catch five or six passes a game if the questionable Bruins quarterbacks can get the ball to him.

6. Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech (6-2½, 207) | previous rank: same
A former safety who moved to corner before last season, Williams showed in the first few games of 2004 that he has awesome natural skills, fluid movements and enough size to deal with todays big receivers.

7. Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas (6-5, 310) | previous rank: 9
Wright had only one sack and three tackles for loss last season compared to eight sacks and 12 tackles for loss in 2003, but the dropoff can be attributed to a high ankle sprain that dogged him most of the season. A hard worker with great attitude and intelligence, he could be a high first-rounder when all is said and done.

8. Jason Allen, CB/S, Tennessee (6-2, 205) | previous rank: 7
Moving back to corner from safety, where he led the SEC with 123 total tackles last season. Another big corner who can deal with big wideouts.

9. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis (5-9, 215) | previous rank: 8
A tremendously creative runner who averaged 6.2 yards per carry in his first three seasons and scored 37 rushing touchdowns. Has worked his way back to 100 percent after breaking his leg in the GMAC Bowl and should be a top-10 overall pick. His rushing total might be down this year but that has nothing to do with his ability.

10. DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama (6-1 ½, 235) | previous rank: 13
Coming off a great junior season, Ryans had six tackles (including 2 tackles for loss) in the Crimson Tide's season-opening win over Middle Tennessee.

11. Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College (6-5½, 260) | previous rank: 16
Kiwanuka recorded 11½ sacks last season but there is still room for improvement as he enters his fifth year. He has tremendous natural talent but still needs a little work on the finer technical points. If that happens he will be the most-feared sack artist in the nation this year.

12. Eric Winston, OT, Miami (6-7½, 315) | previous rank: 15
A former tight end with great athleticism, Winston is coming off a knee injury that cost him most of 2004. He will be at left tackle for Miami but could move to the right side in the NFL.

13. Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP (6-2½, 233) | previous rank: 12
Came to UTEP as a walk-on defensive back and is now a potential first-rounder. Howard is a gifted athlete with 4.4 speed who makes a "Wow!" play in every game.

AP Photo/L.G. Patterson
Hank Baskett has 341 receiving yards and four touchdowns in New Mexico's first two games.14. Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico (6-3, 220) | previous rank: 23
An interesting player who had a very good game against UNLV to start the season and followed that with 209 yards at Missouri. He's a big target with good speed.

15. Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn (6-7½, 335) | previous rank: 14
A mountainous tackle with the feet, quickness, balance and strength to warrant a high first round grade.

16. D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Maryland (6-0 ½, 230) | previous rank: 11
The newest member of this week's board, Jackson was all over the field against Navy with 18 tackles and 1 sack. He reminds me a lot of former Miami (FL) linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

17. Johnathan Scott, OT, Texas (6-6½, 310) | previous rank: same
A very intelligent player who has allowed only a half-sack in the last two seasons, Scott looks primed to put together an phenomenal senior year.

18. Babatunde Oshinowo, DT, Stanford (6-2, 318) | previous rank: 22
In a 3-4 defense, Oshinowo is the ideal nose tackle. He's a powerhouse from a physical standpoint with quickness and agility. A real force to be reckon with on the interior.

19. Jeremy Trueblood, OT, Boston College (6-8, 322) | previous rank: same
Trueblood jumps onto the board this week. The tallest member of the BC team has been a reliable 3-year starter.

20. Claude Wroten, DT, LSU (6-2, 293) | previous rank: 24
A junior college transfer last year, Wroten's six sacks in 2004 came in the final five games. He carries a great deal of momentum over into the Tigers' season opener at Arizona State.

21. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson (5-9.5, 181) | previous rank: 18
An outstanding pure cover corner with great recovery speed. Three-year letter winner, Hill tied the Clemson record for passes defended in a season in 2004 with 21.

22. Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan (6-3½, 330) | previous rank: 10
Does not put up huge numbers of tackles but is very adept at plugging the middle of the offensive front, thus freeing the middle linebacker to run to the football.

23. Davin Joseph, OL, Oklahoma (6-3, 312) | previous rank: 20
Has moved outside to left tackle after playing last season at guard, but Joseph will likely be a guard at the pro level. Joseph will be especially important this year as he will be protecting the blind side of new quarterback Paul Thompson.

24. James Wyche, DE, Syracuse (6-5 ½, 263) | previous rank: 25
Wyche really started to come into his own late last year. He's always been athletically and physically gifted, and last year there was a dramatic difference in his play compared to 2002 and 2003. As a freshman and sophomore, Wyche had a total 3.5 sacks and 8.5 Tackles For Loss. In 2004, Wyche had 5.5 sacks and 15.5 TFL and in his first game of 2005, he goes out against West Virginia and made his presence felt with 7 tackles, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 Pass Breakup.

25. Justin London, LB, UCLA (6-1, 234) | previous rank: 25
The Bruins have two players in the Top 25. London is off to a good start in the Bruins' first two games (San Diego State and Rice). I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays against an Oklahoma team that has struggled to move the ball.

DROPPED
Dusty Dvoracek, DT, Oklahoma (6-3, 300) | previous rank: 21
Sat out the 2004 season due to suspension but came back strong and dominated spring practice before tearing his bicep tendon in the second half of the spring game. Has played in Oklahoma's first two games, but don't expect him to be 100 percent until the end of the month.

Mel's Hot Juniors
Quarterback
Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame

Running back
Reggie Bush, USC
Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
Michael Bush, Louisville
Lorenzo Booker, Florida State
Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin
LenDale White, USC

Wide Receiver
Chad Jackson, Florida
Santonio Holmes, Ohio State

Tight end
Vernon Davis, Maryland
Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame
Leonard Pope, Georgia

Offensive line
Justin Blalock (RT), Texas
Winston Justice (RT), USC
Aaron Sears (LT), Tennessee
Joe Thomas (LT), Wisconsin
Kyle Young (C), Fresno State

Defensive line
Haloti Ngata (T), Oregon
Mario Williams (DE) NC State
Haloti Ngata (DT), Oregon
LaMarr Woodley (DE) Michigan
Ray Edwards DE Purdue

Linebacker
Ahmad Brooks, Virginia
Ernie Sims, Florida State

Defensive back
Darnell Bing (SS), USC
LaRon Landry (FS), LSU
Devin Hester (CB) Miami (FL)
Ashton Youboty (CB) Ohio State
Bernard Pollard (S) Purdue
Richard Marshall (CB) Fresno State

Troy didn't hurt Ware.

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
:lmao2:

I'm sorry guys. I can't help it. Both took shots and goofed on the same word in different ways. Norman Einstein would be proud.

:lmao2:

Leave Joe 'broaken leg' Thiesman outta this conversation!

Hostile, dogstile, wolfstile, anystyle...so what! :laugh2:

It's UTEP! Fools.....! Don't make fun of them...they got some players, too!

Carry on....right across the bridge is Mexico...... ;)

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I watched Iowa/Iowa State. Greenway didn't impress me much (actually none of the Hawkeyes really showed up). I do think Hodges showed more against the Cyclones though.

silverbear

Reaction score
Mkyle said:
Leave Joe 'broaken leg' Thiesman outta this conversation!

Hostile, dogstile, wolfstile, anystyle...so what! :laugh2:

It's UTEP! Fools.....! Don't make fun of them...they got some players, too!

Including Carson Palmer's kid brother Jordan, some nice WRs...

Gone are the day when the clown who used to write a weekly column entitled "The Bottom Ten", used to refer to them as "The University of Texas at El Intercepted Paso"...

We bad, baby, we BAD!!! And our basketball team is stronger than rent, too...

silverbear

Reaction score
Mkyle said:
Carry on....right across the bridge is Mexico...... ;)

When I went to UTEP, I majored in golf and minored in Juarez...

I learned how to drink over there... learned how to throw up into trash cans, too... I ate so many agave worms, I'd wake up 8 hours later, still drunk (those little suckers are like tiny sponges that just absorb the tequila, and as they're digested, they steadily pump more alcohol into your system)...

Talk about your "liberal" educations... somewhere in a seedy cantina is where you'll find my lost virginity... LOL...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It's cool 50, but I'm going to stick with Mathias Kiwanuka, Ahmed Brooks, and Haloti Ngata for now.

Gotta admit, AJ Hawk impressed me last week. He's on the radar now.

For now, I still would take Kiwanuka.

Well, if I could pick three, those might be the three Hos.

Scares me sometimes.