News: Spagnola: A Lot Of Players Have A Lot To Prove This Coming Season

CCBoy

Reaction score
Spagnola: A Lot Of Players Have A Lot To Prove This Coming Season
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/06/23/spagnola-lot-players-have-lot-prove-coming-season

...CB Orlando Scandrick: This will be Scandrick’s 10th season, the only double-digit veteran on the defense. At age 30, he, along with 30-year-olds Sean Lee and Nolan Carroll, are the oldest guys on the unit. Scandrick needs to return to the form that earned him a five-year, $19 million contract back in 2015.

Now, he had the misfortune of suffering that torn ACL during camp that summer. Missed the entire year. And we all know the season after reconstructive knee surgery is tough. Usually takes two years out before returning to previous form. So now it’s time.

Scandrick was OK last season, but while trying to play both outside corner and in the slot he was not the same guy he was prior to the surgery. Plus, he got off to a slow start, suffering hamstring problems after the first two games, missing the next four.

With the free-agent losses of veteran corners Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne and the infusion of youth in the secondary, the Cowboys desperately need Scandrick to be the lead dog back there. And not just from a performance standpoint, but also assuming a team-guy leadership role. He needs to prove he is what he was...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mailbag: Nolan Carroll's Place In Depth Chart? Cedric Thornton's Improvement?
Friday, June 23, 2017 9:54 AM CDT

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...lace-depth-chart-cedric-thorntons-improvement

REUBEN JOHNSON
NASHVILLE, TN
I know that having a veteran presence like Nolan Carroll can be comforting to coaching staffs, but is it possible that Anthony Brown, Chidobe Awuzie, or Jourdan Lewis could surprise and be a solid starter for us?

Bryan: All of those guys have a real shot to be future starters. Wouldn't be surprised if Awuzie switches positions soon -- so keep an eye on that.

David: It’s going to be an interesting scenario. A lot of times, you can use money and experience to help determine a team’s roster. Nolan Carroll is an eight-year veteran and is slated to make $4 million this season, so it’s logical to conclude that he’ll be a starter. But I don’t think that contract is so big that it guarantees him anything. If any of these younger players is definitively better in training camp, it won’t surprise me to see him in a lessened role – big paycheck and all.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think this Nolan Carroll cat is gonna surprise a bunch of folks, just by coming into contact with the casually spread vapor trail of the lingering 'dak- attack'
Enzymes Mr. #4 imparts into the surrounding atmosphere by his mere presence!,,, injuries and age? Although I've never played n.f.l. ball, but after suffering a gun shot wound and shattered leg earlier in life,,,, 30 y.o. isn't nothing!!!
I believe about the time I hit 35,,, I knew I was starting to miss a step( so to speak)
But injuries have a irrevocable way of cramping one's style.
We're good for two more seasons with those three players IMO.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think this Nolan Carroll cat is gonna surprise a bunch of folks, just by coming into contact with the casually spread vapor trail of the lingering 'dak- attack'
Enzymes Mr. #4 imparts into the surrounding atmosphere by his mere presence!,,, injuries and age? Although I've never played n.f.l. ball, but after suffering a gun shot wound and shattered leg earlier in life,,,, 30 y.o. isn't nothing!!!
I believe about the time I hit 35,,, I knew I was starting to miss a step( so to speak)
But injuries have a irrevocable way of cramping one's style.
We're good for two more seasons with those three players IMO.

Lol, it's all proven or disproved on the field, starting in camp...with the pads.:)

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Lol, it's all proven or disproved on the field, starting in camp...with the pads.:)
I copy!
Just saying the old cat's still got juice in the tank, not trying to discount anything from the new drafts ,,, I think I've read here on the C.Z. that Nolan Carroll's mother was L.T. governor of Fl.,,?
He shouldn't be a complete wash with that kinda drive in his veins ( expect to see him redline/ nitrous boost his ' stuff' this season!,,, Or fold over like a slice of bread in a half chicken salad sandwich,,, IDK?)

CCBoy

Reaction score
I copy!
Just saying the old cat's still got juice in the tank, not trying to discount anything from the new drafts ,,, I think I've read here on the C.Z. that Nolan Carroll's mother was L.T. governor of Fl.,,?
He shouldn't be a complete wash with that kinda drive in his veins ( expect to see him redline/ nitrous boost his ' stuff' this season!,,, Or fold over like a slice of bread in a half chicken salad sandwich,,, IDK?)

I'm not nearly so negative with a real contributor, as yourself.

I'm anxious to see general directions taken by this very defense. He can add and still is on the line of fully physical as well.

Just to expand a little talk here...

I'm anxious to see how the Cowboys defensive tackles prove out now. Kind of nice to see Thornton actually working on conditioning and a little displayed passion. I am now waiting to see if that all hits the carpet.

Mix him with unseen, Paea, and a potential involving Crawford, Irvin, Maliek Collins, and even Joey Ivie...and I can't wait for pads now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Same here,brother!
#95 is sidelined for 4 games still,right?
I wanna see ' clamps' Tapper(#99)
Proving it.

The defensive ends have a ton of potential...and a final piece next draft, to the defensive line and an addition high, to the linebackers, might make a great unit and a return to Doomsday areas.

There is still some appeal and the politicing of Jerry as well...as to suspension(s).

haleyrules

Reaction score
Interesting. The club did go 13-3 with a rookie QB. Not too bad. The FO dismantled the secondary...so whom is ole Micky boy referring too? Bryant....the jag's on the defense??