News: Spagnola: Keeping Hands To Themselves In OTA

speedkilz88

Reaction score
w9dqdgmeuwsm6q9ryhb7.jpg

But sure did see sixth-round draft choice Eric Scott Jr., the Southern Mississippi cornerback the Cowboys traded into the sixth round's first pick, getting some first-team reps at right corner opposite veteran Stephon Gilmore. Telling you, keep an eye on this kid.

As for running backs, you know, when you see the 5-6, 176-pound Deuce Vaughn walking around, his rather small stature is not so obvious, especially for us short guys. But when he's on the field with the rest of the Cowboys, wow! And we thought Cole Beasley was small.

Also saw third-year corner Kelvin Joseph lining up some in the slot on nickel formations, and even in these non-contact workouts, you can see how quick his feet are and just how fast he is. Now if he just conquers the ability to know what to do and his penchant to be too jumpy in coverage for his own good.

Rest of article:
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-keeping-hands-to-themselves-in-ota

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This doesn't bode well for Kelvin Joseph. Is this why the Cowboys are trying Joseph at the Slot CB and some Safety? What are Joseph's chances he sticks with the team after 2023 or gets traded?
He didn't play safety in yesterday's ota. He did do individual work/drillls with the safeties. But played 2nd team slot at least some of time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also saw third-year corner Kelvin Joseph lining up some in the slot on nickel formations, and even in these non-contact workouts, you can see how quick his feet are and just how fast he is. Now if he just conquers the ability to know what to do and his penchant to be too jumpy in coverage for his own good.
:thumbup:

Man it would be so nice for the light bulb to come on for Joseph.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
With Diggs holding down one of the CB spots, I never thought Gilmore was the other starter. There’s too much talent with Lewis, Joseph, I guess now Scott. Plus they have Wright.

I supposed if Gilmore does start and Lewis/Joseph are the slots it makes sense to try Scott on the outside to backup Gilmore. Is Daron Bland any good?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
With Diggs holding down one of the CB spots, I never thought Gilmore was the other starter. There’s too much talent with Lewis, Joseph, I guess now Scott. Plus they have Wright.

I supposed if Gilmore does start and Lewis/Joseph are the slots it makes sense to try Scott on the outside to backup Gilmore. Is Daron Bland any good?
:huh:

DanA

Reaction score

You’re tripping. Gilmore and Diggs on the outside is pretty much guaranteed. A 10 year vet and former DPOY can afford to take OTA’s in second gear but when it comes time for business he’ll be there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Man it would be so nice for the light bulb to come on for Joseph.
I'm not sure it's a bright one, though. I'm a little surprised they are working him at nickel because it seemed to me that he needed to just spend time mastering one spot. Of course, maybe they think his quickness would be better served in the slot or maybe they are just trying him out there to see if it's a better fit for him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Eric Scott already getting 1st team reps is pretty good.
Maybe. This time of year they like to just throw different things at players to see how they handle it. We tend to read too much into it. ... And I'm saying that to myself since I just posted that I'm surprised they are trying Joseph in the slot.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a bright one, though. I'm a little surprised they are working him at nickel because it seemed to me that he needed to just spend time mastering one spot. Of course, maybe they think his quickness would be better served in the slot or maybe they are just trying him out there to see if it's a better fit for him.
Or maybe they are cross training him so they can move on from Lewis. Bland worked all of training camp last year on the outside and then when Lewis went down he took over in the slot. Unknown to the media and fans, Bland had been working on the slot from the beginning of the season.