Spagnola: The New Dr. J Raising Eyebrows

waving monkey

Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. – When reports surfaced earlier this week about David Irving not showing up on time for training camp, then his absence made more explicit when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones furthered that he did not expect Irving to participate at all, was your reaction the same as mine?

Like taking the heel of the palm on my right hand and smacking myself in the forehead?

In exasperation, thinking, Seriously? Like, you’ve got to be kidding me?

Then it was, asking myself, Now what do they do for a 3-technique at defensive tackle?

Well, think I’ve got the answer, and it’s been staring at us for the past three months.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-the-new-dr-j-raising-cowboys-eyebrows

Hadenough

Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. – When reports surfaced earlier this week about David Irving not showing up on time for training camp, then his absence made more explicit when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones furthered that he did not expect Irving to participate at all, was your reaction the same as mine?

Like taking the heel of the palm on my right hand and smacking myself in the forehead?

In exasperation, thinking, Seriously? Like, you’ve got to be kidding me?

Then it was, asking myself, Now what do they do for a 3-technique at defensive tackle?

Well, think I’ve got the answer, and it’s been staring at us for the past three months.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-the-new-dr-j-raising-cowboys-eyebrows

Only way were going to find out the truth is when he plays in some games because Raider nation is saying that he always looks good in practice but doesnt show anything in games.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Here is the deal.
Wards success on this team, in this defense, is very mandatory.
Mandatory... that means that without Ward becoming and fulfilling all expectations as a 3T, this defense will suffer.
Ask yourself this question.... What team relies on an unproven player trade to solidify a DL?
We keep rolling the dice, maybe Ward can become All Pro, and be everything M dreams about at night, hot sweats and all.
Ignoring the DL in drafts, and throwing darts to improve this interior D is not the way you build a dominating DL and its not the way
you defend against teams in our very own division that are quickly flipping the script, and gaining ground in the running game.
An area that we initially thought we were so ahead of the curve with Zeke.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Honestly I am disappointed in marinelli’s chosen nickname. I was expecting something better. Hopefully it is not a sign for the season......

gmoney112

Reaction score
I wonder if Mickey would be more endearing if we didnt have the internet, and weren't able to find out everything about Ward in 5 minutes after we traded for him, even if we didn't know all about him from his draft class.

Probably not.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Honestly I am disappointed in marinelli’s chosen nickname. I was expecting something better. Hopefully it is not a sign for the season......

That really is an awful nickname, the real Dr. J should be rollin over in his grave.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Well, after Thursday’s first day of camp practice, encompassing a mere walk-through practice in the morning and the non-padded practice in the afternoon, the usually reserved Marinelli says Ward has been impressive from the first day he arrived at The Star, and then, get this:

“I’d be surprised if he doesn’t keep it going in pads.”

This fascination with Ward isn’t some passing fancy. Marinelli and the Cowboys became enthralled with him while coaching the North Squad at the 2016 Senior Bowl. Marinelli loved the combination of his size and quickness off the ball. And while Ward played defensive end in the Illini’s 4-3 defense and DE in the Raiders’ 3-4, right from the start Marinelli envisioned Ward playing the 3-technique in his version of the 4-3 defense.

“Everything here is more simple,” Ward said of Marinelli’s system. “With the Raiders, and I really don’t want to talk about them, but you know, I mean, they had me playing slow. But now the scheme I’m playing in, this Cowboys scheme, you’re not thinking as much. You just want to go.”

Even former longtime Cowboys scouting director Gil Brandt says this system better suits Ward’s talents of just getting up the field instead of what the Raiders read-and-react style up front was asking of him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you’re curious like I was, no, this isn’t a Jarwin article. Sorry guys.