Spagnola: Watch out the gang is coming back

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My prediction is the defense will be much improved , not possible to do worse than last year really . The offense will be ok but am not sure how good Dak will be after that injury . Am sure he will be a bit slower . But hopes am wrong .
10-7 is a good possibility, with a playoff win . hopefully the offense is humming and we do even better in the playoffs but am being realistic .

I share your optimism about the defense. Between free agency and the draft, we’ve added a lot of new and motivated players. That should chase away much of last years’ complacency. And I think this scheme with simpler run fits and responsibilities will help players who struggled in that area last years.

Never a better example of that than the Bucs, Even their HC was pushing doubt about Brady. They were a mess early in the season.

Absolutely. And the Eagles a few years ago, and the Giants before that, and on and on. There are plenty of examples of ‘good’, not ‘great’ teams winning it all because they continued to improve throughout the season and got hot during the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol
I didn’t read it
Just the post
I can’t listen to Fish because he simply can’t get to the point
And Mickey runs me nuts with some of his writing
But a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile

I’m not giving Spagnola any points for simply stating the obvious. I find it galling that someone so utterly wrong so often can still speak condescendingly to people, thinking he ‘knows stuff’.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
“Think about all that, all of 'em numbering six starters missing from an offense finishing 14th in the NFL last year, still totaling 5,949 yards (371.8 a game), seventh most in the franchise's past 37 seasons – a time period including quarterbacks Danny White, Troy Aikman and Tony Romo.”

McCarthy and Dalton really kicked some butt on offense last year with a patchwork OL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should meet him in person. Will Rogers never met Spagnola.

I actually did. It was before a game in Tampa against the Bucs in December a few years back. Michael Irvin was there too, looking in phenomenal shape. And believe it or not Mickey was actually gracious and accommodating. It bought him a lot of since-used-up good will from me. But that’s all been spent.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Another guy who thinks the Cowboys offense is so super-duper "average" defense is enough. Even Mahomes' Chiefs couldn't win it with average defense, as the Patriots put up 37 on them. The next year they had a top 10 defense and they beat the Niners.

We'll you don't go from historically bad to elite in one season. I think average is what we can hope for. I'll remind you that KC won it the year before with a defensive that was generally in the same ranking.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Micky the super homer, mouthpiece for the cowboys, states the obvious.

And? So what. We need that. Sure beats the hell out of the negative crap on here. Fans spout off without even reading things.
Yes there are many issues, in the past and now. However I choose to look forward not backwards.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-watch-out-with-the-gang-coming-back

Mickey talking about the injured players on offense looking good in their rehab.
Also mentions if the defense can moderately improve or even get to average, will be a big help.

Have at it. :popcorn:
Mick has his style. We all know that. I like it better when he just reports facts instead of trying to act like a storyteller using some old analogy to make his point. Of course reporting news often requires actually going where the news is. Not sitting in a booth watching tape. Nice change for a change Mickster.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually did. It was before a game in Tampa against the Bucs in December a few years back. Michael Irvin was there too, looking in phenomenal shape. And believe it or not Mickey was actually gracious and accommodating. It bought him a lot of since-used-up good will from me. But that’s all been spent.
Spagnola is a spinner, that's his job as it is everyone's associated with the team in any role. And those not with the team have to watch themselves because he's a vindictive person unless that person has some national clout.

When Booger was starting out, he didn't care what they said as long as they were saying it about the Cowboys, even invited those not on board to parties to schmooze them. But then ego, every man's lurking inner monster, showed up and it changed. He's had the most flagship radio stations of any sports franchise in the last 30 years because of that ego.

As only they could do, the guys at The Ticket actually had a party when he fired them and I always suspected the Morning Musers of setting that whole thing up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mick has his style. We all know that. I like it better when he just reports facts instead of trying to act like a storyteller using some old analogy to make his point. Of course reporting news often requires actually going where the news is. Not sitting in a booth watching tape. Nice change for a change Mickster.

That is actually some persons jobs, sit and watch tape. LOL. As for Mickey, at least he watches, I guess he does, but you nor I or anyone else don't know he doesn't go out and interview people as well.

I used to think the same of Broaddus, a former scout. I never listened to him from a player evaluation point of view. It seemed he was often wrong, as he injection too much personal feelings in it. However when he covered on the field action in TC. And reported actually what happened, he was great.

basel90

Reaction score
I share your optimism about the defense. Between free agency and the draft, we’ve added a lot of new and motivated players. That should chase away much of last years’ complacency. And I think this scheme with simpler run fits and responsibilities will help players who struggled in that area last years.

I wonder how improved the offense will be . the offensive line and zeke need to also step up . Which is McCharthy’s responsibility as an offensive guru . Will also be interesting to see how comfortable Dak will be after the injury . A bad hit can affect his confidence . Receivers will be great with cee Dee and Cooper .

Absolutely. And the Eagles a few years ago, and the Giants before that, and on and on. There are plenty of examples of ‘good’, not ‘great’ teams winning it all because they continued to improve throughout the season and got hot during the playoffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-watch-out-with-the-gang-coming-back

Mickey talking about the injured players on offense looking good in their rehab.
Also mentions if the defense can moderately improve or even get to average, will be a big help.

Have at it. :popcorn:

I can't imagine the defense being as bad or even worse than last year. One, even if you don't think Quinn is some genius, Nolan was a horrendous hire so you would hope/think Quinn could get more out of this bunch than Nolan did. Two, I like the fact they are trying to get quicker on D as well. We played and looked slow last year. Now part of that could have been the ridiculous scheme Nolan was running. When guys are confused or not certain where or what they should be doing, they are going to look slow. Kazee, if healthy, should be a better FS than Woods. Will also be interesting to see if Joseph can lock down the outside CB spot opposite Diggs, or they will have to roll with Brown.

In terms of the overall team success, it's clearly tied to the health. They are banking on guys like Kazee, Smith, Martin, Collins, Dak all being healthy and there for most of the season. If this team can avoid a bunch of injuries, they could be pretty good. If they can't avoid injuries, they'll be that .500 team scrapping for a WC.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spagnola is a spinner, that's his job as it is everyone's associated with the team in any role. And those not with the team have to watch themselves because he's a vindictive person unless that person has some national clout.

When Booger was starting out, he didn't care what they said as long as they were saying it about the Cowboys, even invited those not on board to parties to schmooze them. But then ego, every man's lurking inner monster, showed up and it changed. He's had the most flagship radio stations of any sports franchise in the last 30 years because of that ego.

As only they could do, the guys at The Ticket actually had a party when he fired them and I always suspected the Morning Musers of setting that whole thing up.

It was a mutual agreement for them to part ways. Clear Channel came in and bought out the Ticket when the contract was expiring. Both decided to move on as clear channel wanted to take it in a different direction. The Ticket became worse after that.
The Muser may have partied, but they always were more hate than not anyway.

Ticket got that contract kind of by default, I think. I think KLUV had it for a while and were not being renewed. And the Fan was just getting up and running at the time, or more known anyway or so it seemed. Though they had a Jets and a Commanders fan acting as if they were Cowboys fans. Then again Bob Sturm is a Packers fan, but he does a pretty good job of not letting that interfere with his style and articles.

This is all from memory from what was said back when they got the contract and when they parted ways. I have no idea if Jerry tried to control the content. But during that 3 years or whatever it was, no one changed their style on there. So I doubt jerry interfered. However, I think it had a lot to do with advertising also, of what companies could or could not have ads. Hence the change. But it did get worse after. That was probably more so from clear channel.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine the defense being as bad or even worse than last year. One, even if you don't think Quinn is some genius, Nolan was a horrendous hire so you would hope/think Quinn could get more out of this bunch than Nolan did. Two, I like the fact they are trying to get quicker on D as well. We played and looked slow last year. Now part of that could have been the ridiculous scheme Nolan was running. When guys are confused or not certain where or what they should be doing, they are going to look slow. Kazee, if healthy, should be a better FS than Woods. Will also be interesting to see if Joseph can lock down the outside CB spot opposite Diggs, or they will have to roll with Brown.

In terms of the overall team success, it's clearly tied to the health. They are banking on guys like Kazee, Smith, Martin, Collins, Dak all being healthy and there for most of the season. If this team can avoid a bunch of injuries, they could be pretty good. If they can't avoid injuries, they'll be that .500 team scrapping for a WC.

Good post, and spot on. Injuries and health will be the factor as we all know. But with Quinn there, that should get them to the low 20's ranked defense. With the additions to the defense, if all works out like planned, they move up those ranks as the year progresses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh yeah. And it’s easy for anyone to see what happened to Tim MacMahon and his ‘reassignment’ after putting Big Enos on the spot about his terrible job as GM.

Spagnola sticks around because he has no problem being a company shill.