Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spain: Prosecutors to seek 8-year prison term for Shakira
By The Associated Press | MSN
July 29, 2022

AA106arL.img

MADRID (AP) — Prosecutors in Spain said Friday they would ask a court to sentence Colombian pop star Shakira to eight years and two months in prison, if she is convicted in her expected trial for alleged tax fraud.

Shakira, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, is charged with failing to pay the Spanish government 14.5 million euros ($15 million) in taxes between 2012 and 2014. The prosecutors said they would also seek a fine of 24 million euros ($24 million).

The indictment details six charges against Shakira. The singer this week rejected a settlement deal offered by prosecutors, opting to go to trial instead. A trial date has yet to be set.

Shakira’s public relations team says the singer has always fulfilled her tax duties. It says the artist has deposited the amount she is said to owe, including 3 million euros in interest.

Read more

Last edited:

terra

Reaction score
I don't know much about her but I do know that since someone invented taxes it has never been a good idea not to pay them.
well that depends on if the system is not corrupt. Now some rich people are stupid enough to try and tax dodge, but one also has to admit the possibility of corruption as well.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I don't know much about her but I do know that since someone invented taxes it has never been a good idea not to pay them.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't pay to piss off the tax collector. You can hire an accountant and learn to legally minimize taxes and be okay, but to just not pay them is asking for trouble.

terra

Reaction score
That's pretty much it. It doesn't pay to piss off the tax collector. You can hire an accountant and learn to legally minimize taxes and be okay, but to just not pay them is asking for trouble.
But is that what happened? This whole thing smells fishy.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the little I've read, the Spanish government is looking to get the amount of taxes they think she owes ($15), plus a fine of $24 mil, and jail time on top of that? That's a lot of punishment.

joseephuss

Reaction score
From the little I've read, the Spanish government is looking to get the amount of taxes they think she owes ($15), plus a fine of $24 mil, and jail time on top of that? That's a lot of punishment.

Spain's tax system may be complicated for foreigners living and working there. Lionel Messi had similar issues with taxes a few years back and received the same threat of imprisonment.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
But is that what happened? This whole thing smells fishy.

She definitely needs a tax lawyer. Such a professional could figure out if she really does owe that amount or if she owes a different amount, and then offer to settle for X amount of dollars, hopefully getting her off the hook.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Spain's tax system may be complicated for foreigners living and working there. Lionel Messi had similar issues with taxes a few years back and received the same threat of imprisonment.

That's what I saw some comments on reddit say as well. If that's the case, that really sucks. Seems like a good way to have foreigners to avoid living and working in Spain.