Spears Over 300lbs. Again... Good!

Reaction score
Anyone see the picture of Marcus Spears in that recent Nick Eatman article in DC.com? Man, the dude is over 300 lbs. again, but looks twice as cut up as he did when he came to camp last year. What a difference a year makes under the tutelage of super Strength & Conditioning coach Joe Juraszek! I don't know if this story gets as repeated as many times in other camps, I just know the guy knows his stuff.

I don't know if the colleges don't push S & C as hard, or the players don't take it as seriously, but once they get to the pros, the ones that want to become buffed in a hurry. At least that's the way it is in Cowboy land. Some recent examples:
  • Bradie James is drafted in 2003. The next year at TC, BP names James the most improved player in terms of strength, stating, "The guy couldn't tear toilet paper last year. Now, he is one of our stronger younger players."
  • Julius Jones is drafted the next year, but misses half of 2004 due to injuries. He comes back in 2005 with at least 15 lbs. of new found muscle, hoping his recently attained bulk will help him stay out of the trainer's room. It doesn't, but who knows how much longer he would have been out without the added conditioning and muscle development.
  • Last year, 7th round pick Rob Petitti becomes the starter at RT, partly by defacto. Parcells throws him a bone of love once in a great while, but mostly says the kid has a long ways to go to make it. This off-season, BP stated that, " "Rob has a lot of talent,". "If you watch him run and his lateral movement, you will see how many positives he has as an athlete. He has a chance to be as good as any I've had the opportunity to coach and I've worked with some players who have played in the NFL a long time. He keeps getting stronger and is working extremely hard." Wow! That's a long way to come for any coach in one year, but especially BP.
From what I understand, Jason Beriault is another in a long line of Cowboys players who owe a lot to Juraszek for pushing them, and passing along his abundant knowledge. I'll be excited to see what he can do this TC.

With the tremendous aquisition of talent we've made over the past few years, and with coaches like Joe Juraszek, I am one positive Cowboys fan. It sure makes a head coaches' job a lot easier when he has a guy like Juraszek molding his players into well-tuned athletes who will be able to spend more time on the field, and less on the trainer's table.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I think "Kleenex" was the term applied to James.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it my imagination, or was the Cowboys weekly injury report shorter last year than the year before? Great news about Spears. He is going to make his presence felt this year big time.

DocScholl

Reaction score
Was the pic on DC.com from this year or last ?

He's wearing a game jersey in the pic . :confused:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
With the superlatives applied by Parcells to players such as Powell and Stewart I am a bit skeptical when Parcells puts his stamp of approval on a player. However, with the reports we have had on our current players from sources other than Parcells I am very encouraged. From what I hear about Pettiti he has really come a long way and should be vastly improved over last year. Ware and Spears are also posed to take the next step with an offseason in Parcells program. As for Bradie James and Julius Jones they have had their second offseason; it is time to put up or shut up for them.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
I thought Bradie James put up pretty good last year.
He did OK...not great and would not be hard to replace at the level he was playing at but he did a serviceable job. If we resign him that would be good, if we don't we can replace him easily enough. He has enough athletic ability but he is n\just not that smart.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
That's good he's over 300. Now we probably could get more powerful production out of him.:starspin

Reaction score
DocScholl said:
Was the pic on DC.com from this year or last ?

He's wearing a game jersey in the pic . :confused:

The pic in the report is obviously from this spring. If you remember last year, he came in pretty smooth. Not that he was chubby, but not nearly as cut as he looks in the pic in the article. You can see definition where his shoulders & arms come together, and his biceps are really cut!

http://i61.***BLOCKED***/albums/h60/cogan123/Spears-5_300.jpg

See what I mean? I just learned how to pull pics from DC.com, or I would have had this for the post. As you can see, his arms look a lot more cut than last year. If he actually gained weight, I'm sure the rest of him is the same way. Can't wait to see him in action.

I understand Petitti looks the same way. I can't wait to see that pic! Rob is one motivated dude. He couldn't have found a better motivator than Juraszek & Parcells.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The good thing about Spears is that he's added muscle and not fat to his frame.

Parcells said that he and Nick Saban talked about Spears' ideal playing weight in college and Saban said it was 292 lbs. Spears got injured and his weight went up to 307 lbs and along with the tender knee, he just wasn't as great as he once was.

I really think he'd be fine at 292 lbs since he played pretty well in the second half of the year. His struggles early on had to do more with getting injured in the first week of training camp and that left him behind the 8 ball in learning the scheme and the NFL game.

Still, if he's close to 310 lbs and it's muscle, that's only great news. He's been the guy I've been saying for quite some time that's going to have a surprisingly great year in 2006 if he stays healthy.

Rich........

Mash

Reaction score
Is it me....but didn't JJ look too bulky.....it hurt his running style...I think he lost a little quikness.

Sometimes being too bulky isnt all that great........

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Mash said:
Is it me....but didn't JJ look too bulky.....it hurt his running style...I think he lost a little quikness.

Sometimes being too bulky isnt all that great........
Playing timid and having the line collapse on him hurt his running style in my opinion. He showed several times throughout the season that he still had the quickness even with the added weight.

MONT17

Reaction score
I recall Pepi Zellner looking like a man child one off season... Cowboys fans including myself were yoaked!!!

dont wanna turn this into an UGLY Marcus Spears is better than Pepi Zellner rant for the next 5 pages!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RealCowboyfan said:
That's good he's over 300. Now we probably could get more powerful production out of him.:starspin
We will get better production this year because he is healthy more than the fact he is over 300 lbs..

Reaction score
Bradie James was better than alright. The OLine was the main problem with Julius he had a couple of long gains called back I believe 3. The Panther game proved "if" he has the room he can do some damage.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
JJ needs the oline and the backside TE to hold their block for more than 2 seconds. A lot of JJ's negative runs were because the backside protection was terrible. If Fasano can block, then we should see a lot more production from JJ.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JakeCamp12 said:
If Fasano can block, then we should see a lot more production from JJ.
Anthony Fasano

Tight end

Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 253 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
High School: Verona
Hometown: Verona, NJ

Scouting Report Summary

Yahoo Sports:

Pros: Fasano combines a strong frame with sound technique, quickness and functional strength to rank with any prospect in this class as an inline blocker. As a receiver, he shows sure hands with the ability to catch the ball away from his body. He is especially effective in the underneath patterns where he displays a keen sense of coverage, allowing him to find soft spots in zones. He shows well-developed pass catching ability including good hands, body control and route running. He has the athleticism to fill the H-back role with a good understanding of coverage. His ability to get consistent movement at the point of contact will help a club’s ground game immediately.

Cons: Because his strength is underneath, he is not a downfield threat. Also had a bit of a fumbling problem at Notre Dame – including a bit giveaway in USC game.

Numbers: Last season caught 47 passes for 576 yards (12.3-yard average) and two touchdowns. Over his career, he started 24 games with 92 receptions and eight touchdowns. At the combine, he did 19 reps of the 225-pound bench press and had a 33½” vertical jump and 9’4” broad jump, but did not run. One of the few prospects to finish the three-cone drill in less than 7.0 seconds.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster. I feel that JJ's bulk last season contributed to his stiffness and perceived loss of agility. This was not the only factor though...there was the high ankle sprain and fear incurring Coach Bill's wrath by making a mistake.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought he looked too bulky - particularly early last season.