Spears Over 300lbs. Again... Good!

Mansta54

Reaction score
Spears, Canty, and Ware will be dominant this season. They were just kids last year. This year, they're bigger, stronger, faster and more comfortable with the pro game. I see them totally dominating games this year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The good thing about Spears is that he's added muscle and not fat to his frame.

Parcells said that he and Nick Saban talked about Spears' ideal playing weight in college and Saban said it was 292 lbs. Spears got injured and his weight went up to 307 lbs and along with the tender knee, he just wasn't as great as he once was.

I really think he'd be fine at 292 lbs since he played pretty well in the second half of the year. His struggles early on had to do more with getting injured in the first week of training camp and that left him behind the 8 ball in learning the scheme and the NFL game.

Still, if he's close to 310 lbs and it's muscle, that's only great news. He's been the guy I've been saying for quite some time that's going to have a surprisingly great year in 2006 if he stays healthy.

Rich........

Rich, I thought Parcells mandated that Spears get down to 297 last year?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Wezsh0T said:
I agree with a previous poster. I feel that JJ's bulk last season contributed to his stiffness and perceived loss of agility. This was not the only factor though...there was the high ankle sprain and fear incurring Coach Bill's wrath by making a mistake.

Julius' main problem, and the coaches stressed it in the middle of last year, was that instead of Julius finding that one hole and hitting it, he would look at 2/3 holes, and then he was caught by the backside pursuit many a times because LA and Rivera were struggling holding their blocks getting to the 2nd level, so many of Julius' stops were ankle tackles, that's why we signed Kosier

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
If he is up to 305, he won't be by the end of TC. Maybe 3-5 lbs more than last year. That said, the added muscle, strength and health will do wonders for his game and I thought he looked pretty good last year.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Julius' main problem, and the coaches stressed it in the middle of last year, was that instead of Julius finding that one hole and hitting it, he would look at 2/3 holes, and then he was caught by the backside pursuit many a times because LA and Rivera were struggling holding their blocks getting to the 2nd level, so many of Julius' stops were ankle tackles, that's why we signed Kosier

JJ hesitated before hitting the line, for sure. But in his defense, he was searching for any hole.

NorTex

Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:
JJ needs the oline and the backside TE to hold their block for more than 2 seconds. A lot of JJ's negative runs were because the backside protection was terrible. If Fasano can block, then we should see a lot more production from JJ.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one to see this problem...it was a major factor in our running game not being what it should have been.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cogan said:
The pic in the report is obviously from this spring. If you remember last year, he came in pretty smooth. Not that he was chubby, but not nearly as cut as he looks in the pic in the article. You can see definition where his shoulders & arms come together, and his biceps are really cut!

http://i61.***BLOCKED***/albums/h60/cogan123/Spears-5_300.jpg

See what I mean? I just learned how to pull pics from DC.com, or I would have had this for the post. As you can see, his arms look a lot more cut than last year. If he actually gained weight, I'm sure the rest of him is the same way. Can't wait to see him in action.

I understand Petitti looks the same way. I can't wait to see that pic! Rob is one motivated dude. He couldn't have found a better motivator than Juraszek & Parcells.

Not to say that he isn't more defined and stronger this year, but I'm almost 100% sure that the pic was from last year. They havent' had more than mini camps yet this year, and they haven't been wearing jerseys during the camps either.

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer said:
Not to say that he isn't more defined and stronger this year, but I'm almost 100% sure that the pic was from last year. They havent' had more than mini camps yet this year, and they haven't been wearing jerseys during the camps either.

Point taken. You are right. In that case, I can't wait to see Spears & the rest when they are back in shorts & sleeveless shirts to see how much they've gained in muscle.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Point taken. You are right. In that case, I can't wait to see Spears & the rest when they are back in shorts & sleeveless shirts to see how much they've gained in muscle.

I definately agree. He looks pretty ripped there...and if he did do all that in the weight room this offseason, he's going to be strong as an ox this year. Lets just hope he stays healthy.

DocScholl

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer said:

That is what I thought as well . Spears will be most improved player this year imo .