Special Teams

JonCJG

Reaction score
You know if Vandy proves that tonight wasn't a fluke, we might have one of the better special team units in the NFL. Mat McBriar is playing lights out and even though we might have to keep an extra kicker in Suisham, it might be worth if he can get a few more TB a game.

Big D

Reaction score
I doubt it's a fluke. He's only the most accurate in NFL history but you are right, things are looking up!

I hope we see more of T Newman at PR to go along with this good kicking.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD said:
You know if Vandy proves that tonight wasn't a fluke, we might have one of the better special team units in the NFL. Mat McBriar is playing lights out and even though we might have to keep an extra kicker in Suisham, it might be worth if he can get a few more TB a game.

We gave up a 100 yard KO return tonight.

JonCJG

Reaction score
And that has happened.... oh once in over 250 games. FLUKE.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KD said:

In that case, I agree.
If we're handing out mulligans for all of our bad plays, we have one of the strongest ST units in the league.

Same goes for the offense and the defense, come to think of it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
parchy said:
McBriar is unconscious.

Having played rugby, as Matt apparently did, i was beginning to wonder when his stats were going to match the praise Parcells and the staff has been giving him for the past two years. He's got the skills...bout time he showed eveyone else. Cheers to two great games for our punter!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
KD said:
Our kickers are solid, but we have a serious problem on the return teams...several kicks and punts looked like they would break into long td's...I was holding my breath every time. It should be easy enough to fix,but it was definitely ugly.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Our kickers are solid, but we have a serious problem on the return teams...several kicks and punts looked like they would break into long td's...I was holding my breath every time. It should be easy enough to fix,but it was definitely ugly.

I agree with your assessment on that. Randle El is elusive so I was half way expecting that, however I didn't expect RC to break that TD. There were other plays when I thought that the KO was going to go. Our special teams unit didn't seem to be wrapping up well. What was even more of a cry for work in this bye week are the angles they were taking on their coverage.

The win was great, but the Cowboys have things to work on in the next two weeks. I'm sure BP loves that.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
KD said:

You might be on to something........except for kick off coverage

Novacek84

Reaction score
Let's not over do it with worries about the kick coverage. The Cartwright TD was the first one we've given up since '93. I'd say that's pretty damn good. Our coverage units are fine. KO returns happen from time to time. We should be grateful we went 13 years between TDs. I'd much rather give one up in a game like this than in a closer-type game.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Nors' boy, Al Singleton was directly responsible for the KO return for a TD.

#51 left his lane as he was arriving downfield at the wedge blockers and it seemed he was trying to avoid taking on the blockers. The result was a gaping hole that sprung Rock for the 100 yard TD.

It was a pitiful ST play on Al's part.

stardeep

Fading Into Abstraction
Reaction score
tomson75 said:
Having played rugby, as Matt apparently did!
Hi Tomson, McBriar actually played Aussie Rules Footy, not rugby. He never reached the professional level (the AFL), but that's where his kicking background comes from. In Aussie Rules they kick the ball end over end, thus his uncanny ability to flop punt. The AFL finals are in full swing over in Australia as we speak. Go the Freo Dockers!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Nors' boy, Al Singleton was directly responsible for the KO return for a TD.

#51 left his lane as he was arriving downfield at the wedge blockers and it seemed he was trying to avoid taking on the blockers. The result was a gaping hole that sprung Rock for the 100 yard TD.

It was a pitiful ST play on Al's part.

That is exactly right, once he ran around the wedge they were able to get to the 2nd layer of defenders which allowed Cartwright the opening he needed. Singleton must bust that wedge up and he flat out messed up