Speculation: Lincoln Riley is happy at Oklahoma and would only leave for Cowboys

EJK24

Reaction score
Man I wish.

I could be wrong but before we hired MM there were a bunch of people on here shooting that down because he was an offensive coach and we would still have a lousy defense.

Not saying anyone in particular because I honestly can't remember who but there were plenty of them saying it.

I wonder if they would trade in MM now for Riley lol.

Loso86

Reaction score
I could be wrong but before we hired MM there were a bunch of people on here shooting that down because he was an offensive coach and we would still have a lousy defense.

Not saying anyone in particular because I honestly can't remember who but there were plenty of them saying it.

Exactly lol smh give me young smart and fresh anyday

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How does anyone get he would only be interested in the Cowboys from that? He has never said anything but that he would like to coach in the NFL someday, never mentioned one team. That moron assumes that because he was linked to the Cowboys job last year and never interviewed for it. I've never thought much of him as a reporter but that is just stupid.

What's even crazier is fans take it a run with it as gospel (lol).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, and god knows this is a minority take but What has Riley done to deserve consideration over a more experienced/seasoned NFL assistant?

Mannix

Reaction score
Riley was too sexy of a hire for Booger....funny how he doesn't mind drafting the sexy player, but has an issue with a HC who he feels will still the spotlight and credit from him....what a total dumb azz he is. Booger should and will take a ton of S when Meyer turns the Jags around in short order. You have a loyal fan base in Dallas who deserves the best HC on the market, yet you let him escape to Jacksonville. ??? That is inexcusable!!!

Aven8

Reaction score
Riley is from Muleshoe, TX. A west TX town with a 1A high school. I actually won the Pine Wood Derby in this place in Boy Scouts as a kid. He grew up a Cowboys fan. Anyone that disagrees this isn’t his dream job has NO idea.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If this is close to true it puts a ton of pressure on the Jones when the next HC opening comes up (my guess is halfway through the 2022 season). Assuming Lincoln is still leading a successful and high-scoring Sooners offense.

To me, Lincoln is in that McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur, Joe Brady mold of younger, creative offensive playcallers. What people like to pretend the current OC is.

Jerry and many of you so desperately want Kellen Moore to be the next HC, but I have no idea why all of you are so happy with promoting him in the likely situation he will be in.

If McCarthy gets fired in the next 3 years it means this team has failed. Wouldn't Kellen be responsible for some of that failure? It's like you guys did not just witness this firsthand with Garrett.

Promote off success, stop rewarding mediocrity and failure.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
If MM doesn't get his crap together , we could be looking at Head Coach Lincoln Riley of the 2022 Dallas Cowboys.................

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Riley's O is dependent on excellent OL play and a strong run game. He would have struggled with this team's injuries on offense just as McC and Moore did.

I don't think most of us know just how much injuries to the OL affects the play caller because one defender gets through the play gets trashed and the play caller gets the blame.

If there was one thing about our forum I would like to see change is shifting so much blame on coaching to the execution of the play called. The players miss it and the coach catches the heat. I've actually seen the coaches get blamed for players fumbling and missing tackles, like they coach that? First thing I would do is storm into Moore's office and demand he tear those fumble plays out of his book.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't follow college ball, you know Riley's Achilles? Defense. How is he going to help the Cowboys when he can't even field a decent D at OU and he's in charge of recruiting?

How much better would Riley have made the offense in 2019 or 2020? It was #1 in 2019, want a higher #1?

Keep hiring O minded HC's and the problem will never be resolved but being from OU, he would be a popular pick just as Stoops would have been and fit right into the Joneses follow the ball view of football.

cern

Reaction score
Riley is from Muleshoe, TX. A west TX town with a 1A high school. I actually won the Pine Wood Derby in this place in Boy Scouts as a kid. He grew up a Cowboys fan. Anyone that disagrees this isn’t his dream job has NO idea.
i''ve hunted pheasants in mule shoe and ducks in lazbuddie. i love small, quaint texas towns.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I think Riley is our coach if we move on from McCarthy.

Whats interesting to me is what is McCarthy's threshold for keeping his job. Will he need a strong 2021, or will they give him 3 years? How far in the playoffs does he have to get.

People will say we won't fire him because we held on to Garrett for so long. I don't see it though
Jerry hates any kind of confrontation which I think is a large part of why he held on JG way too long. Unfortunately, the same may happen with MM. If the DC goes 8-9 next year (in or out of the playoffs) only JJ's twisted thinking may have him justify another year with MM based on an improved W/L record.