Speed of Turpin and Cooks

vlad

Reaction score
Turpin seems to have lots and lots of room for growth.
Anyone have a realistic sense of his suddenness to top-end speed vs Tyreek (that guy is like nothing I've ever seen)?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Turpin is a Pro Bowl punt returner and so long as Nashon Wright is made inactive on gameday so he
doesn't create another knucklehead flag on special teams to negate any TD return by Turpin,... KT will have
the best chance to break a big one for a TD in the playoffs.
The fact is they don't use the older wide receivers who could return punts to return punts it's too physical we don't want to lose Brandon cooks on special teams he has his role unless Turpin has his, we're not going to be experimenting unless Turpin goes out with a injury...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he plead guilty to the dv issue though.
He pled out to a misdemeanor. People do that all the time to avoid jail time because they don't have the $$$ to pay some lawyer and they just want to get the thing behind them. "Witnesses said they saw Turpin and his girlfriend hitting each other." I'm not saying he was completely innocent but in most of these incidents the chicks aint either. Chicks know how to push their dudes' buttons and too many of them have been trained by society that the dude can't hit them so they can do whatever they want to him. I taught both my daughters that the best way to avoid being hit by a man is to never hit one. If you are at the point in the relationship where you think you need to hit him then you need to leave him. Thankfully neither of them has ever had a hand laid on them by a man.. At least not that they have shared with me.. but they may be trying to keep me out of jail! LOL!

conner01

Reaction score
actually they have go look at the chart they just put up for reps in the last game it isn't just carries it's literally how much you're on the field blocking as a decoy running patterns you never even get thrown it was quite a bit in my opinion when you look at Rico versus Pollard it's still too high in my opinion I don't know what you're looking at but he's being overused in my opinion when you're playing three games in 12 days it'll be a lot easier to give TPO some real rest in 17 game season with MUCH tougher games ahead..

The Thanksgiving Washington game 41 snaps 76% of the offense Tony Pollard was on the field...13 for Dowdle LOL sure that not load imbalance... It's the total snaps the blocking the physicality the running fake decoy routes that you never get the ball being on the field that much will wear a guy like him out later in the season like it did last year and I'm telling you to me it's a philosophical mistake to be doing this with Tony we could have him more fresh for these bigger games and the playoffs...
A lot of that’s blocking but you have no choice since he’s the best blocker we have in the backfield. Dowdle is a solid runner but not as effective as a blocker. I’m not too concerned with pollard wearing down. He’s gotten better as the year has gone on. As for Turpin it’s not much wear on your body being a decoy

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He pled out to a misdemeanor. People do that all the time to avoid jail time because they don't have the $$$ to pay some lawyer and they just want to get the thing behind them. "Witnesses said they saw Turpin and his girlfriend hitting each other." I'm not saying he was completely innocent but in most of these incidents the chicks aint either. Chicks know how to push their dudes' buttons and too many of them have been trained by society that the dude can't hit them so they can do whatever they want to him. I taught both my daughters that the best way to avoid being hit by a man is to never hit one. If you are at the point in the relationship where you think you need to hit him then you need to leave him. Thankfully neither of them has ever had a hand laid on them by a man.. At least not that they have shared with me.. but they may be trying to keep me out of jail! LOL!
The plea is probably what killed his original NFL chance.

Mannix

Reaction score
Speaking of WR, is Martavis Bryant still on the team? What a bunch about nothing....as usual.....haven't heard ONE thing about him since the week he was signed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A lot of that’s blocking but you have no choice since he’s the best blocker we have in the backfield. Dowdle is a solid runner but not as effective as a blocker. I’m not too concerned with pollard wearing down. He’s gotten better as the year has gone on. As for Turpin it’s not much wear on your body being a decoy
no in my opinion he has not gotten better the only reason he's looking better is the more care he's going to Rico dowdle and I think the more you take off Tony the better he's gonna look I'm sorry but what you're seeing is them running against weaker defenses and whatnot we're gonna find out probably not in the regular season soon enough but we'll find out in the postseason what Tony can and can't do...

I think it's the way they're utilizing him is why he's starting to improve and I think the more you take off him and yes Tony Pollard used to have the same tag on him that he couldn't block the more you give that opportunity to Rico before the big games come in the in the postseason the better the team will be and the better Tony will be for it the dude's big enough and mean enough in my opinion that he can get better at blocking if he's given more opportunities to do so that's why I'm more confused when we're playing the bad teams and we're up by 20 why he's just not put out on the field and left there and let Tony rest... Three games in 12 days and you're up by all those points and Rico gets 13 carries and that's it and no more snaps hardly anytime on the field to me that's a mistake that would have been the perfect time to let Rico be thrown in the fire to go in and block...

conner01

Reaction score
no in my opinion he has not gotten better the only reason he's looking better is the more care he's going to Rico dowdle and I think the more you take off Tony the better he's gonna look I'm sorry but what you're seeing is them running against weaker defenses and whatnot we're gonna find out probably not in the regular season soon enough but we'll find out in the postseason what Tony can and can't do...

I think it's the way they're utilizing him is why he's starting to improve and I think the more you take off him and yes Tony Pollard used to have the same tag on him that he couldn't block the more you give that opportunity to Rico before the big games come in the in the postseason the better the team will be and the better Tony will be for it the dude's big enough and mean enough in my opinion that he can get better at blocking if he's given more opportunities to do so that's why I'm more confused when we're playing the bad teams and we're up by 20 why he's just not put out on the field and left there and let Tony rest... Three games in 12 days and you're up by all those points and Rico gets 13 carries and that's it and no more snaps hardly anytime on the field to me that's a mistake that would have been the perfect time to let Rico be thrown in the fire to go in and block...
The line is getting healthy and having reps together has helped with the improved run game. Also stretching the field has helped. Early on we was throwing way to many short passes and that allows the safeties to play up.now some of that may very well been because of the make shift oline but stretching the field helps the RB’s. I like Dowdle and he will get an ever larger role next year since Tony is a FA. But Tony came off a serious injury so starting slow was expected to me

lkelly

Reaction score
Turpin really seems to be developing. IMO Moore completely wasted him, and I can't buy into the fact that he "didn't know the offense enough" or "couldn't run routes" - it's not that hard to have a guy run a few go patterns or crossing routes to get in space. DBs have done it when they play a few offensive snaps. What I will NEVER understand is how an accomplished kick/punt returner didn't house it vs. the Niners in the playoffs. If he cuts either direction his speed carries into the end zone with 10 yards to spare. Instead he just runs right into 4,000 year old Robbie Gould. Just baffling.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/kavontae-turpin-s-44-yard-kr-provides-spark

quickccc

Reaction score
Turpin really seems to be developing. IMO Moore completely wasted him, and I can't buy into the fact that he "didn't know the offense enough" or "couldn't run routes" - it's not that hard to have a guy run a few go patterns or crossing routes to get in space. DBs have done it when they play a few offensive snaps. What I will NEVER understand is how an accomplished kick/punt returner didn't house it vs. the Niners in the playoffs. If he cuts either direction his speed carries into the end zone with 10 yards to spare. Instead he just runs right into 4,000 year old Robbie Gould. Just baffling.

Ditto here.

If Kellen was a true top notch scheme creator, he'd at least conjure up jet sweeps, deep shot fly-go's, bunch formation at least a handful of designed plays for Turpin.. he does not need to know and master the entre Cowboys offense

But either Kellen did not have a clue to how to scheme Turpin into the offense ... he may have had so little regard for Turpin, that he had his mind made up that Turpin is a pure special teams player ..and nuthin more.

Those kind of coaches limit your players ... limits skill set... limits your offense.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I think it was more of he played a complete USFL season right before comming to the Cowboys, he looks better this year after getting an actual offseason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The plea is probably what killed his original NFL chance.
Like I said.. he was caught up in the MeToo movement where anybody who ever even talked mean to a chick or hit on her was canceled. Hopefully society is a LITTLE smarter about that nonsense these days.. but I aint holdin my breath.

starman22

Reaction score
Was much as I'd like to rip on Kellen Moore maybe kevonte Turpin didn't know the offense yet and maybe he wasn't ready...its possible that its just now the perfect time to use KT more.
Not to mention that last year he had played a full season of USFL. He might have been a little worn down.