Speed of Turpin and Cooks

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
In my opinion even though they're slightly different sizes that guy over there I'm a Texas Longhorn team named Xavier Worthy, if kevonte Turpin would have got on a team and used like Xavier worthy he probably could have had a much better college career they play very similar.. I realized turpin's a little smaller but they both do the same things on the field they remind me of each other the good with the bad sometimes that you're worthy drives me crazy with his drops or his bobbles but he's electric so you kind of let it go...
he was used plenty at TCU, he found the end zone plenty on a team that had Josh Doctson as a WR and then Jalen Reager.. both 1st round picks..

blueblood70

Reaction score
he was used plenty at TCU, he found the end zone plenty on a team that had Josh Doctson as a WR and then Jalen Reager.. both 1st round picks..
Xavier worthy at times is the focal point of the Texas Longhorn offense and special teams literally used as a weapon like he's used a lot ,

you say plenty I bet Turpin says otherwise.. For sure Xavier worthy's gonna be an NFL player as soon as he enters the draft I don't know what round my guess is probably 3 and even though their size is different their roles are the same they do the same stuff on the field...

I mean look at the way deuce Vaughn was used at Kansas State that's what I'm talking about that's being utilized when you have a weapon and you have a guy that can produce that's what you do I don't think they did that with Turpin enough and it could have been a lot to do with his size I didn't think he could hold up but do you spawn held up and he took his many snaps as anyone in college football over three years...

Which by the way I think deuce Vaughn still has a shot here in the NFL it's just gonna take a while for him to see the field and get his shot because kevonte Turpin is basically doing the same things he would be doing so they do not have a role for him right now...

Mark

Reaction score
The offense has evolved.
It certainly has, to anyone paying attention. The Cowboys have a LOT of guys that can make plays, and have done a great job of getting them involved in recent weeks. The results speak for themselves.

Which is why it's annoying to have the early ARI loss and SF disaster ridiculously thrown up by certain talking-heads as "proof" that the Cowboys aren't a top-tier team at this stage of the season.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Xavier worthy at times is the focal point of the Texas Longhorn offense and special teams literally used as a weapon like he's used a lot ,

you say plenty I bet Turpin says otherwise.. For sure Xavier worthy's gonna be an NFL player as soon as he enters the draft I don't know what round my guess is probably 3 and even though their size is different their roles are the same they do the same stuff on the field...
Turpin would've been drafted had he not been suspended over the allegations..

quickccc

Reaction score
I am never one to blame players because their college coaches are stupid. Go look up Alvin Kamara's college stats. Or even Tony Pollard. Or Terrell Owens.. How about Miles Austin at griggin Monmouth, NJ. The list of guys who never stood out much in college but blossomed in the pros is very long.

Still Turpin had 13 receiving TDs and 2 rushing TDs on less than 200 touches from scrimmage. Throw in 6 return TDs and he sure as hell was lighting up somebody! I think the best is yet to come from him because you simply cannot coach 4.2 speed that can actually catch the ball. We've seen plenty of these really fast guys who were 50/50 to actually catch the ball but to have a guy like Turpin who has that speed AND good hands AND is tough as nails as we've seen bodes well for the future of these offense.
Didn't Turpin turn in a 4.31 40 time at his Pro Day Workout ?

" Turpin held his own Pro Day workout since he was unable to participate in the TCU Pro Day in 2019, clocking in with a 40-yard dash time of 4.31 seconds. "

https://www.frogsowar.com/2023/9/12...ntae-turpin-scores-first-career-nfl-touchdown

Toro9

Reaction score
I'd reckon Turpin could still run a 4.3
Cooks maybe a 4.35
But it's really their field vision.
I wouldn't mind Cooks returning a few punts in the playoffs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Turpin would've been drafted had he not been suspended over the allegations..
He was also a FA from his USFL career, where he was named MVP of the league i believe.

As a FA, Turpin was out there for the taking for several NFL teams, but Cowboys pursued him
and we signed him up.

Now he's proving a tremendous, dangerous two-way dual role player the rest of the NFL has to deal with.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Didn't Turpin turn in a 4.31 40 time at his Pro Day Workout ?

" Turpin held his own Pro Day workout since he was unable to participate in the TCU Pro Day in 2019, clocking in with a 40-yard dash time of 4.31 seconds. "

https://www.frogsowar.com/2023/9/12...ntae-turpin-scores-first-career-nfl-touchdown
You are correct he was timed at 4.31 during his "personal pro day." But owing to his suspension he had been forced to train on his own without access to team trainers and facilities which is why I consider him to be a good deal faster than that time. Which is saying a lot obviously .. but I know that having professional trainers and facilities is LOT better than working out by yourself at some local high school. I am fairly confident that if he ran 4.3 basically training himself then he could easily run 4.2 with real training!

quickccc

Reaction score
I'd reckon Turpin could still run a 4.3
Cooks maybe a 4.35
But it's really their field vision.
I wouldn't mind Cooks returning a few punts in the playoffs.
Turpin is a Pro Bowl punt returner and so long as Nashon Wright is made inactive on gameday so he
doesn't create another knucklehead flag on special teams to negate any TD return by Turpin,... KT will have
the best chance to break a big one for a TD in the playoffs.

chagus

Reaction score
In my opinion even though they're slightly different sizes that guy over there I'm a Texas Longhorn team named Xavier Worthy, if kevonte Turpin would have got on a team and used like Xavier worthy he probably could have had a much better college career they play very similar.. I realized turpin's a little smaller but they both do the same things on the field they remind me of each other the good with the bad sometimes that you're worthy drives me crazy with his drops or his bobbles but he's electric so you kind of let it go...
I just watched some of Worthy's highlights. Totally different beast. Worthy plays big, strong and technically sound. Dare i say Moss like? Turpin is more gadget. Small and shifty like a Saturn missile.

Man... now i want Dallas to draft Worthy.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I say it every week. He needs a bigger role on the offense.

That speed is dangerous and if nothing else he can stretch defenses out because he gets down field so quick.

chagus

Reaction score
I say it every week. He needs a bigger role on the offense.

That speed is dangerous and if nothing else he can stretch defenses out because he gets down field so quick.
Ive wondered WHY they havent involved Turpin more as he is obviously a weapon. Or CAN be. Weird. Id just have Turp run go routes and take out that safety.

Toro9

Reaction score
Turpin is a Pro Bowl punt returner and so long as Nashon Wright is made inactive on gameday so he
doesn't create another knucklehead flag on special teams to negate any TD return by Turpin,... KT will have
the best chance to break a big one for a TD in the playoffs.
KT is everything I hoped he could be, and frankly, more. something like 6 combined TDs this year and he's just a play maker. Ekeler vibes but at a slightly different position. I'm guessing a lot of teams were after him following his USFL MVP but Dallas was where he wanted to be

conner01

Reaction score
as much as I wanna agree with you I'd say he's getting just what he needs I mean we said that about Tony powered around here and the more carries we gave him the less explosive he became and you're setting him up to get injured that's a small dude we're talking about here... I think they're using him just as he should be almost like a change of pace weapon like you would use Tony Pollard back when he was way more explosive when he was used less...
He’s avg 1 target a game. I think he can handle a few more. I don’t think reps was the issue with pollard at all. His reps haven’t been that high. I think he just wasn’t fully recovered physically and mentally. But he has looked really good the last couple of games. If reps was the issue I think he’d be declining but he’s actually playing better

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Turpin got caught up in me-too-ism after being dismissed from the team at TCU and then even charged in what turned out to be a pretty bogus domestic violence situation if I recall correctly. If not for that hanging over his head I firmly believe he would have been drafted and gotten a shot much sooner. NFL teams very seldom thumb their noses at 4.2 guys. He just had to wait for all of that to die down AND he had to show out in the USFL before a team would give him an opportunity.
I'm pretty sure he plead guilty to the dv issue though.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
What encourages me is what I'm hearing about Turpin is his route running. I've heard he is becoming a very good route runner. Speed + good route running = a big problem for defenses.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He’s avg 1 target a game. I think he can handle a few more. I don’t think reps was the issue with pollard at all. His reps haven’t been that high. I think he just wasn’t fully recovered physically and mentally. But he has looked really good the last couple of games. If reps was the issue I think he’d be declining but he’s actually playing better
actually they have go look at the chart they just put up for reps in the last game it isn't just carries it's literally how much you're on the field blocking as a decoy running patterns you never even get thrown it was quite a bit in my opinion when you look at Rico versus Pollard it's still too high in my opinion I don't know what you're looking at but he's being overused in my opinion when you're playing three games in 12 days it'll be a lot easier to give TPO some real rest in 17 game season with MUCH tougher games ahead..

The Thanksgiving Washington game 41 snaps 76% of the offense Tony Pollard was on the field...13 for Dowdle LOL sure that not load imbalance... It's the total snaps the blocking the physicality the running fake decoy routes that you never get the ball being on the field that much will wear a guy like him out later in the season like it did last year and I'm telling you to me it's a philosophical mistake to be doing this with Tony we could have him more fresh for these bigger games and the playoffs...

Last edited: