Spencer/Ellis

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
I think we need to put ellis back at D.T. on passing downs, I mean, our pass rush other then Ware is a joke, but potentially on passing downs, I think we could have a great pass rush if we moved Ellis to D.T. on a 4 man line with Ellis and Ratliff at D.T. and Spencer and Ware on the ends rushing, getting our top 4 pass rushers in there on passing downs would do wonders, and I don't wanna hear Ellis complain about it either, I don't understand why we aren't doing this, hopefully we will with Spencer back, I don't think our coaches will do it, cause it makes too much sense.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2384447 said:
I think we need to put ellis back at D.T. on passing downs, I mean, our pass rush other then Ware is a joke, but potentially on passing downs, I think we could have a great pass rush if we moved Ellis to D.T. on a 4 man line with Ellis and Ratliff at D.T. and Spencer and Ware on the ends rushing, getting our top 4 pass rushers in there on passing downs would do wonders, and I don't wanna hear Ellis complain about it either, I don't understand why we aren't doing this, hopefully we will with Spencer back, I don't think our coaches will do it, cause it makes too much sense.

Ellis is to small to play DT.

Tobal

Reaction score
Spencer has to stay healthy.... Ellis has done this in the past.

I do want all three in the game on passing downs I don't care where they line up though.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Muhast;2384478 said:

Ellis can't do it full time, but he can do it in 3rd and long situations or other obvious passing downs a few times a game. In fact he has done it in the past and was effective at doing so. This will all depend on Spencer's ability to come back and be 100% healthy. It will provide more options. Without Spencer then it is best to keep Ellis on the outside.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Ellis was never a DT. He was a DE but I agree he should be moved back. Even if it's only to keep him out of coverage.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2384652 said:
Ellis was never a DT. He was a DE but I agree he should be moved back. Even if it's only to keep him out of coverage.

In a nickel or dime formation when Dallas uses a 4 man line Ellis has lined up as one of the DTs from time to time. That is what the OP was referring to. Not a DT in a base defense or anything like that.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
joseephuss;2384665 said:
In a nickel or dime formation when Dallas uses a 4 man line Ellis has lined up as one of the DTs from time to time. That is what the OP was referring to. Not a DT in a base defense or anything like that.

I don't remember that but I only hope it was a few times because it couldn't have been pretty.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2384671 said:
I don't remember that but I only hope it was a few times because it couldn't have been pretty.

Why would it not be pretty? Teams aren't running the ball in those obvious passing situations. We are talking 3rd and long. Ellis just moves down to get a push up the middle. He was doing that quite often in the 2006 game against Arizona. The same game he blew out his achilles. He did it a few times last year when Spencer came in and rushed from the outside. They also mixed and matched in that chaos formation a few times last year. And we are talking about just a few times anyway. That is the point. It is supposed to be a change up.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
joseephuss;2384691 said:
Why would it not be pretty? Teams aren't running the ball in those obvious passing situations. We are talking 3rd and long. Ellis just moves down to get a push up the middle. He was doing that quite often in the 2006 game against Arizona. The same game he blew out his achilles. He did it a few times last year when Spencer came in and rushed from the outside. They also mixed and matched in that chaos formation a few times last year. And we are talking about just a few times anyway. That is the point. It is supposed to be a change up.

He'd get manhandled by guards and centers

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2384711 said:

As a DT He would line up closer to them (as opposed to DE or OLB). He could just whine them into submission pre-snap and walk through for a sack.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2384447 said:

Oh no, he's back.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2384742 said:
As a DT He would line up closer to them (as opposed to DE or OLB). He could just whine them into submission pre-snap and walk through for a sack.

Or run through the attempted hold......that still kills me :laugh2:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Why not just take Ellis OFF the field and let Spencer rush the passer at least 10 times a game, and Ellis can do it the other times?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Clove;2384797 said:
Why not just take Ellis OFF the field and let Spencer rush the passer at least 10 times a game, and Ellis can do it the other times?

How dare you come in here with rational thoughts that may work in a real game situation! Unless you are going to add some way where Spencer and Ellis can both line up at DT, then I call for an insta-ban from this thread! ;)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2384711 said:

Ellis drives offensive tackles back when he bull rushes. The offensive tackles are usually the bigger linemen on the team. He could handle a center or guard 3 to 5 plays a game to create pressure up the middle. And I do repeat the 3 to 5 plays a game. We are not talking about a lot of plays. It may even end up being only once or twice a game. I have seen him do it and do well at it. There is nothing wrong with changing things up in obvious passing situations. And again this should only happen if Spencer is healthy and ready to come in and rush from the outside in these same situations.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Muhast;2384478 said:

he has played snaps at DT earlier in his career.

I don't think it is a good idea as a full time thing but when we got to a 4 man front we might swing him inside on obvious pass downs in order to get our best four rushers on the field

Reaction score
Ellis should be where he is, OLB... Ratliff does a nice job at DT. Ellis just needs to step his game up coming off the edge or move him inside on obvious passing downs and let him come up the middle.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I could see him playing DE in some passing situations so that Spencer could be at OLB with Ware. Spencer has to get healthy first though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2384447 said:

You're just dead wrong about not having a pass rush other than Ware. Even if you're not fond of Ellis, Ratliff has been able to generate pressure.

Ellis is ok at DT in a 4-3 or 5-2 on occasion.

We've put him at DT before but he's much more effective as a DE and OLB.

Our coaches aren't doing it because he's not that useful.

I think most would agree that getting Spencer on the field with Ellis, Ratliff and Ware is a good idea.