Spikes hitting it hard in Gainesville per draftdaddy

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
February 11th, 2010 04:10pm
Spikes hitting it hard in Gainesville
by Robbie Andreu

Former Florida All-America middle linebacker Brandon Spikes is in Gainesville busting his tail to get ready for the NFL Combine later this month. That’s the word from his agent, Terry Watson.

“He’s doing well,” Watson said. “He continues to work out hard and he’s eating well. He’s fully committed to a plan that will get him ready for the Combine.”

While most of the other draft-eligible Gators have chosen to prepare for the Combine elsewhere, Spikes made the decision to stay in Gainesville and go through workouts with highly respected UF strength and conditioning coordinator Mickey Marotti. The other Gator working out under Marotti is wide receiver Riley Cooper.

“Coach Mick is the best,” Cooper said. “I’m following the same plan Percy (Harvin) did a year ago under Coach Mick.”

Spikes considered leaving early for the NFL Draft a year ago, but decided to return for his senior season. Some projected him to be a first-round pick last year. Now, many have him slotted to go in the second round.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I think the only way we get him is if Iupati is not there at 27 and we trade down get an extra pick

Woods

Reaction score
TheCount;3276205 said:
Would be a great pick for us in the first round.

I definitely wouldn't mind him in the 1st round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He would fit beautifully with what Wade likes to do. I'd love to have him on our team.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I can't say I'd be upset if we walked away with this kid. He's not at one of the 2 positions I most covet us taking care of but I wouldn't be hurt by taking him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3277843 said:
I can't say I'd be upset if we walked away with this kid. He's not at one of the 2 positions I most covet us taking care of but I wouldn't be hurt by taking him.

Especially at the end of the first round.

I realise McClain is the best MLB but Spikes isn't to far behind and for where we could get him at it just makes sense if someone else we want isn't there.

Hes not the best in pass coverage though and he would fit more of what Bradie James likes to do BUT I think he will still be better than Bradie James is in space.

You pick Brandon Spikes and you wont regret it imo.

He and Jason Williams could be the future there.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree on Spikes. My only question is, what happened to the guy who earlier in his career was such a playmaker? Was it just injuries? How is his character?

And oh BTW...I like these kids working out with their college strength coaches instead of these combine prep mills.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've heard he's working hard from his agent, but someone really should follow up with his mom to make sure we've got more than one legitimate source here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll gladly take Spikes, he is hardnosed physical player who has a great nose for the ball.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Spikes can be a three down player too. He would fit well for sure and has the attitude and work ethic that this team needs. It's hard to say if he'd be at the top of our board at 27 though.

gmoney112

Reaction score
DFWJC;3278486 said:
I think Spikes can be a three down player too. He would fit well for sure and has the attitude and work ethic that this team needs. It's hard to say if he'd be at the top of our board at 27 though.

No way is he the BPA at 27 for us. Only way we end up with Spikes is if we trade down. Definately a possibility though depending on how draft heavy on OL the first round ends up.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
DFWJC;3278486 said:

Thing to remember is what Jerry Jones said about a month ago, if an old war horse is there at linebacker, we might take him in the first round, we wouldnt pass up that opportunity. Something like that!

I think if spikes is only player there with the top OT's, and safeties and OG gone that the cowboys might trade down and take gamble on Spikes in top round of 2nd round.

The Realist

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3278580 said:
Thing to remember is what Jerry Jones said about a month ago, if an old war horse is there at linebacker, we might take him in the first round, we wouldnt pass up that opportunity. Something like that!

I think if spikes is only player there with the top OT's, and safeties and OG gone that the cowboys might trade down and take gamble on Spikes in top round of 2nd round.

That comment by Jerry made my ears perk up as well.

Brookings at tail end of his career and Bobby is an FA after 2010 season.

Spikes is pretty damn good in coverage.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He may be the best player on the board when we are picking too.

[youtube]USprpNSo-VM[/youtube]

Here is a video that shows some of his flaws as well. Mostly taking bad angles. The guy is so talented though and our current MLB situation is so good that we could give him the Mike Jenkins treatment as a rookie.

[youtube]U5voTSl9uEI[/youtube]