Spitballing an Idea on Dak Contract and Negotiations

vnick

Reaction score
So, as the media reports come out that the Cowboys and Dak are heading for the franchise tag, and talks that the Cowboys and Dak have reached an impasse on the size of Dak's deal, and with news that Dak may (or may not) hold out if he is tagged...

I am starting to believe these are the facts:

1. The Cowboys are going to pay Dak. The only question is what is the market value and can they can get Dak at that value.

2. Trying to negotiate with Dak now is starting to get pointless. They are negotiating against themselves and what Dak's agents believe Dak to be worth.

3. Dak, despite what he has said, is seeking max value and is offering the Cowboys no discounts.

4. Dallas has the cap space to sign Dak to whatever deal is reasonable.

Therefore, while risky, I think I let Dak become a free agent and just bid on him on the open market. Yes, there's a risk Dak will leave for another franchise but only if that team pays more than Dak. So, what is Dak worth on the open market? 35, 40? Who knows, but let's find out and pay him that if the Cowboys find it reasonable. It doesn't appear that these other methods are getting us any discounts.

vnick

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that, while we certainly don't want to overpay, what are we gonna be left with if he leaves?

Dak would easily sign within the first 48 hours of free agency. After that, the Cowboys would either have to decide to draft a QB in the first round or pick from what is left (Terry Bridgewater, make a 1-2 yr offer to Brady, Tannehill, etc) or work out a trade (Minchew, etc.)

The move is not without risks for certain.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Thats a great idea .
Pay the market value , IMO it won't be near 33M ; and even less probable close to 40M.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So, as the media reports come out that the Cowboys and Dak are heading for the franchise tag, and talks that the Cowboys and Dak have reached atran impasse on the size of Dak's deal, and with news that Dak may (or may not) hold out if he is tagged...

1. The Cowboys are going to pay Dak. The only question is what is the market value and can they can get Dak at that value.

2. Trying to negotiate with Dak now is starting to get pointless. They are negotiating against themselves and what Dak's agents believe Dak to be worth.

3. Dak, despite what he has said, is seeking max value and is offering the Cowboys no discounts.

Therefore, while risky, I think I let Dak become a free agent and just bid on him on the open market. Yes, there's a risk Dak will leave for another franchise but only if that team pays more than Dak. So, what is Dak worth on the open market? 35, 40? Who knows, but let's find out and pay him that if the Cowboys find it reasonable. It doesn't appear that these other methods are getting us any discounts.
Transition tag?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
How much money does this guy want that they can’t get a deal done. I’m starting to think the agent for Dak is hungry for a massive pay day. I mean get it done already.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The QB market is going to explode this offseason with Mahommes signing a monster contract. Signing Dak before those numbers come out would be smart. Then again, they should have signed Dak last offseason so who knows what will happen.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Thats a great idea .
Pay the market value , IMO it won't be near 33M ; and even less probable close to 40M.
Right now the market value is based on Russell Wilson which is $35 million. Tennessee is already been said to have offered Tannehill some $33 million so if anyone thinks Dak is going to take less than Tannehill, that's just crazy.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Right now the market value is based on Russell Wilson which is $35 million. Tennessee is already been said to have offered Tannehill some $33 million so if anyone thinks Dak is going to take less than Tannehill, that's just crazy.

IMO Russel Wilson is elite . I would encourage Jerry to pay Wilson 35M.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a stud and one of the best passers in the game and he elevates average as hell players. I can’t imagine paying Dak more than Russell Wilson but I guess that’s the market right now. I would imagine the Cowboys are offering around the same as Wilson and Dak wants something out of this world.

Creeper

Reaction score
Can't they put the transition tag on Dak and accomplish the same thing without risking losing him? I thought with the transition, they have the right of first refusal, or they can match whatever other teams offer him to keep him. They can let other teams bid on him and match whatever the highest offer is or they can let him sign with another team and take 2 1st round picks as compensation. Its true that the 2 first round picks might deter teams from bidding on Dak, but doesn't that also indicate his value around the league?

FanSince71

Reaction score
The two 1st round picks are part of the Franchise Tag only. Transition tag is a one-year tender offer for the average of the top ten salaries at the position, rather than top five. It guarantees right of first refusal, but if the Cowboys don’t match the offer they get no compensation.

817Gill

Reaction score
Dak would easily sign within the first 48 hours of free agency. After that, the Cowboys would either have to decide to draft a QB in the first round or pick from what is left (Terry Bridgewater, make a 1-2 yr offer to Brady, Tannehill, etc) or work out a trade (Minchew, etc.)

The move is not without risks for certain.
Then imagine how the team will react in the locker room. They love the guy, it’ll definitely be a weird feeling in the air plus if they suspected Mike Mccarthy had anything to do with it things could get really funky

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So, as the media reports come out that the Cowboys and Dak are heading for the franchise tag, and talks that the Cowboys and Dak have reached an impasse on the size of Dak's deal, and with news that Dak may (or may not) hold out if he is tagged...

Ok by me.

But I think you at least do the non-exclusive Tag to ensure something in return for losing Dak.

That is just smart.

If Dak does not agree and refuses to sign the Tag..not sure exactly what happens.

Somebody know?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

So far there have only been a couple of statements from any of the participants. There has been a lot of SPECULATION by so called insiders who only use source which is code for saying this is what I think. What we know from direct quotes from either Jerry, Stephen or Prescott is Prescott rejected the offer made at the start of the season because it was for 5 years and he wants a 3 year deal which coincides with the new TV contracts. Last week Prescott said that he does not expect or need to be the highest paid QB in the league. He is more interested in length, bonuses and guaranteed money.

Some people are starting to get antsy or nervous about this contract not getting done yet. My question is when was the last MAJOR contract got sign so quickly? Some if not most came right down to the last couple of hours before either the cutoff date that teams can negotiate long term contracts of tagged players or hours before having to use the tag.

I've said before if Prescott gets tagged and he decides to sit out, he's the one that will be losing money and his only option of getting credit for this season will be playing under the tag amount. If he sits out all season the Cowboys can just renew the franchise tag for the 2021 season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The two 1st round picks are part of the Franchise Tag only. Transition tag is a one-year tender offer for the average of the top ten salaries at the position, rather than top five. It guarantees right of first refusal, but if the Cowboys don’t match the offer they get no compensation.

This correct and the only franchise tag this applies to is the non-exclusive franchise tag. The exclusive franchise tag no other team can negotiate with the player.

John813

Reaction score
It's hard to say what's the hold up. Guarantees, max guaranteed money including injury, certain language for when guarantees become actually guaranteed. or is simply term and max money?

Cause they could give him 40 mil a year, on average but relatively little guaranteed money and have an out clause pay him no more than 35mil cap hit wise before cutting him in some unlikely scenario.

Wentz deal had a clause after this year where the team could decline his option and hes a fa next or the following year

RS12

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a stud and one of the best passers in the game and he elevates average as hell players. I can’t imagine paying Dak more than Russell Wilson but I guess that’s the market right now. I would imagine the Cowboys are offering around the same as Wilson and Dak wants something out of this world.
Your first sentence hit right on the screws. Dak needs others to elevate him, he does not elevate others. There in lies the rub. Most I give him is half what he wants.