Sporting News - Draft Dish

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Yeah, I've ofted stated that if all three are there we'll probably trade down knowing that we can get AT LEAST one of them sometime later. I'd prefer not to do that because I wouldn't want to "get cute" as another poster succinctly put it. I dont' think they'll both be gone by 15 either. Possibly one, but certainly not both.

Yeah the trade down would be risky. I wouldn't trade down more then 5 spots, and even that is pushing it.

Maybe 2 spots and recoup the 4th. That would be the safest tradedown, and all three might still be on the board for us even then.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
bbgun said:
As a white guy, I'm allowed to make this observation: white guys make lousy outside linebackers in the pros, be it 3-4 or 4-3. Kevin Greene? Fine. But the vast majority of elite performers at that position are black.

Seems Gil Brandt is in agreement....

INSIDE THE SCOUTSWhat scouts look for when grading linebackers:

Critical factors
1. Character
2. Ability to learn football
3. Preferably black
4. Work habits
5. Athletic ability

Position specifics
1. Reactions
2. Range
3. Pass defense
4. Hands (catching)
5. Strength at point
6. Stays on feet
7. Use of hands
8. Tackling ability
9. Pass rush

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/lb

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
bbgun said:
As a white guy, I'm allowed to make this observation: white guys make lousy outside linebackers in the pros, be it 3-4 or 4-3. Kevin Greene? Fine. But the vast majority of elite performers at that position are black. I will not consider Carpenter to be a satisfactory consolation prize if Lawson and Wimbley are gone.
As a "Black" guy, I'm allowed to make this statement.

Carpenter will be a beast in this defense no matter what race he is. He plays like a MAD MAN and he is fearless along with instinctive. He is also versatile and he can get after your QB. It's nice to have a OLB wrapped in a DEs body for a change. Usually it's the other way around.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Seems Gil Brandt is in agreement....

INSIDE THE SCOUTSWhat scouts look for when grading linebackers:

Critical factors
1. Character
3. Preferably black
4. Work habits
5. Athletic ability

Position specifics
1. Reactions
2. Range
3. Pass defense
4. Hands (catching)
5. Strength at point
6. Stays on feet
7. Use of hands
8. Tackling ability
9. Pass rush

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/lb
Subtle.:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Critical factors
1. Character
3. Preferably black
4. Work habits
5. Athletic ability

Bravo. Yet somehow it does end up that way, does it not? Who was the last great white Dallas outside LB? Chuck Howley?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Bravo. Yet somehow it does end up that way, does it not? Who was the last great white Dallas outside LB? Chuck Howley?
I don't know, but Carpenter can become the next.. ;)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
bbgun said:
As a white guy, I'm allowed to make this observation: white guys make lousy outside linebackers in the pros, be it 3-4 or 4-3. Kevin Greene? Fine. But the vast majority of elite performers at that position are black. I will not consider Carpenter to be a satisfactory consolation prize if Lawson and Wimbley are gone.

When's the last time a black QB won a Super Bowl?

Most QBs who win super bowls are white.

Therefore, we should only draft white QB's..........

Makes the same amount of logical sense as your post. (Which is none).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
When's the last time a black QB won a Super Bowl?

Most QBs who win super bowls are white.

Therefore, we should only draft white QB's..........

Makes the same amount of logical sense as your post. (Which is none).

Baloney. I'd take guys like McNabb and McNair over your average white stiff any day of the week, but to compare qbs with lbs is nonsensical. Have you noticed that the two positions are paid differently? Percentage-wise, there are more black QBs in the league than white OLBs. If you wouldn't take a white WR, CB or RB in the first round, then OLB should be no different. Inside backer? Different story.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
bbgun said:

D.D Lewis

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
bbgun said:

As a white guy im still voting that most racist remark of the day. That is like saying black guys dont play qb well. i dont think race has to do with talent. Ive heard people say asians suck at football but i point out dat nguyen and hines ward. (im not sure bout ward tho)

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Baloney. I'd take guys like McNabb and McNair over your average white stiff any day of the week, but to compare qbs with lbs is nonsensical. Have you noticed that the two positions are paid differently? Percentage-wise, there are more black QBs in the league than white OLBs. If you wouldn't take a white WR, CB or RB in the first round, then OLB should be no different. Inside backer? Different story.

How do the percentages change when you include ALL LBs?? I know there are white LBs, and I was running through them in my mind, and the main ones are ILBs, but there aren't all that many white LBs period. Just interested to see if you had the numbers?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Wolf2k5 said:
As a white guy im still voting that most racist remark of the day. That is like saying black guys dont play qb well. i dont think race has to do with talent. Ive heard people say asians suck at football but i point out dat nguyen and hines ward. (im not sure bout ward tho)
Actually, if everone in the world was exposed to American Football, you would see a ton other ethnicities sore in this great sport.

I was around football and basketball, so obviously if I was going to be great at something, it was going to be one of those 2 sports.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
And you know. For every player that moves up a draft board, there is one that moves down.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh
Exactly! This increases the chances that somebody really cool like Ngata could fall to us. I know it's not likely but I've upgraded it a little after reading this.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Wolf2k5 said:

I'm not sure I'd call it racist, but it sure as hell is ignorant.

Evaluating the color of an athlete along with his other measurable is as ignorant as it gets.

"Minus 10 points cuz he's a white guy"

"Plus 10 points for the kicker cuz he's from mexico"

It's all ignorance.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm not sure I'd call it racist, but it sure as hell is ignorant.

Evaluating the color of an athlete along with his other measurable is as ignorant as it gets.

"Minus 10 points cuz he's a white guy"

"Plus 10 points for the kicker cuz he's from mexico"

It's all ignorance.

No, Rack. "Ignorance" is looking at the world around you and not bothering to ask why things are what they are. You really think it's a coincidence that certain races dominate certain positions? Unlike you, I'd rather be curious than oblivious, and no amount of racial demagoguery on your part will extinguish my curiosity.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun said:

idk, an NFL scout said Carpenter was the best pass-rusher out of the 3: him, Wimbley and Lawson, and said his 10 second burst is outstanding