Sporting News (War Room): CB Jimmy Williams' stock in a freefall

dwmyers

Reaction score
Url: http://warroom.sportingnews.com/experts/war-room/20060320.html

The article was discussing the consequences of Jimmy's poor campus workout.

Excerpt (pay site):

Bottom line: Williams is a big guy who can run but lacks explosiveness and strength. He takes risks and is undisciplined, and he shows poor work habits and questionable character. Plus, he turned off many coaches and scouts at the NFL Combine when he didn't work out and then showed a cockiness and bad attitude during interviews with team officials. After a poor senior season and poor NFL Combine appearance, Williams needed an elite performance Thursday. Instead, he looked pedestrian.

The good news is the '06 cornerback class is not deep, likely limiting Williams' fall to the middle of Day 1.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I thought Jimmy Williams was overrated from day 1. I was always miffed at these people who had him in the top 10 early in the year. At some point he is going to get converted to Safety and someone in the NFL will have blown a 1st round pick on a shut down corner only to end up with a safety.

lkelly

Reaction score
One of the biggest red flags to me was when he was tossed from the Gator Bowl (in the first half I think). He shoved a ref or some such nonsense. When interviewed after the game, he said he wanted to "go out with a bang" (or something along those lines) and appeared to be proud of his final game. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Can he make the transition to FS and be a good team player? We'll see.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I could care less about his character, I'd like him here. Move him to FS, and at any point you need him to match up with someone so Roy can blitz, he'll shut them down.

VThokie7

Reaction score
lkelly said:
One of the biggest red flags to me was when he was tossed from the Gator Bowl (in the first half I think). He shoved a ref or some such nonsense. When interviewed after the game, he said he wanted to "go out with a bang" (or something along those lines) and appeared to be proud of his final game. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Can he make the transition to FS and be a good team player? We'll see.

That gator bowl ejection was a JOKE. Jimmy was looking back and he barely ran into the ref. And then he got mad after he was thrown out for that nonsense. Jimmy Williams definatyl wasn't proud of being ejected, he put everything he had onto the field every game. People can question him all they want, but effort never was his problem.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
VThokie7 said:
That gator bowl ejection was a JOKE. Jimmy was looking back and he barely ran into the ref. And then he got mad after he was thrown out for that nonsense. Jimmy Williams definatyl wasn't proud of being ejected, he put everything he had onto the field every game. People can question him all they want, but effort never was his problem.

I agree, being from VA, I am a long time Hokie fan and this kid plays hard during the games.

He would help the Cowboys......I would like him.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
likely limiting Williams' fall to the middle of Day 1.

I'd take in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't want to take him at #18 because I want a top-flight OLB there.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I hope he falls to the 18th pick. He reminds me of Sean Taylor of the Commanders.

I'd hope the Cowboys select him if he fell to 18th pick

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Danny White said:
He would be an earth-shattering bargain in the 2nd round!
Actually, Jason Allen in the 2nd is also earth shattering, due to the fact he was penciled in as a 1st rounder last year but stayed in school, and then got hurt this year.

Bobo

Reaction score
Give me Allen in the 2nd instead....as long as the future prognosis looks good for his hip. Williams looked overrated to me from what I saw of him (as a high 1st rounder).

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Williams reminds you of Sean Taylor?, why did he pull a gun?:laugh2: :laugh1:

ghst187

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Actually, Jason Allen in the 2nd is also earth shattering, due to the fact he was penciled in as a 1st rounder last year but stayed in school, and then got hurt this year.

I agree. Jason Allen in the FS I want.

I've been saying Jimmy Williams was a punk ever since we started talking '06 draft around here.
Not only is a punk, but I saw him get roasted an awful lot. He's not a great CB. I know he'll try to play CB in the NFL because that's where the money is at, but he will be a failure there and get moved to S.
I wouldn't touch him in the draft.

wahaja

Reaction score
Jimmy williams would be a great fit in dallas he is the best DB in the draft this year and if he fell to us at 18 that would be great.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Early on, it was Michael Huff v.s. Jimmy Williams as the best DBs in the draft. Guess we now know who's the best. Williams probably isn't even in the top 5 now after being exposed during his workout.....Please PASS on him w/ the 18th overall pick Mr. Ireland!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Charles said:
I hope he falls to the 18th pick. He reminds me of Sean Taylor of the Commanders.

I'd hope the Cowboys select him if he fell to 18th pick

ugh...thats all you need to say right there to make me NOT want him...Taylor is a THUG and has been pretty mediocre on the field since he was drafted, especially considering WHERE he was drafted

David

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
ugh...thats all you need to say right there to make me NOT want him...Taylor is a THUG and has been pretty mediocre on the field since he was drafted, especially considering WHERE he was drafted

David

So what if he's a THUG. According to most Cowboys' fans on this site, character means squat! Who cares how the guy behaves when he can jump tall buildings at a single bound? Until, of course, the jerk inevitably takes things too far, or lets his teammates down. Then they gripe for a little while about what a creep he was after he gets traded.
Until the next one comes along, and they conveniently forget what the team ended up paying for the last thug:rolleyes: