Sportsday: A strange but true statistic

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
A strange but true statistic

Todd Archer

Tackle stats are one of the most worthless ones out there. The stats you see on NFL.com are the press box tallies from each team's stat crew. The ones you see in our stories are from the Cowboys' coaches. Which is why Zach Thomas can have 70 tackles on NFL.com and 124 according to the coaches.
It's crazy, I know, but there's also this - Marion Barber has more tackles than Courtney Brown on NFL.com. And since the coaches don't keep the tackles recorded by offensive players after turnovers, we have to assume this is correct.
Barber has five tackles. Brown has four (but just three from the coaches). How amazing is that? Brown has seen significant time in the substitute packages, especially when Patrick Watkins was out with a neck injury and he has fewer tackles than Barber.
I'll let you guys draw some conclusions.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/11/a-strange-but-true-statistic.html

Man, we definifely need some safety help next offseason.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
hendog;2431192 said:
I bet Barber starts at safety next year.

:laugh2:

That's what I was thinking.

Two-way star!

We could also draw this conclusion. Players with feminine sounding first names can be tough, physical guys, or they can play like their first name sounds.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chief;2431196 said:

Two-way star!

We could also draw this conclusion. Players with feminine sounding first names can be tough, physical guys, or they can play like their first name sounds.

Or we could sign his brother :D

aikemirv

Reaction score
Does 6 fumbles equate to 4 tackles?. Plus you got 7 picks and Tonys fumbles. He has a pretty good percentage given the opportunities.

Temo

Reaction score
Chief;2431196 said:

Two-way star!

And here I was thinking Marion Jones just had a masculine first name!

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Temo;2431244 said:
And here I was thinking Marion Jones just had a masculine first name!

Marion Jones might be a more aggressive safety than Courtney.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I've always wondered why the coaches tallies and the NFL.com, or stat sheets, always have vastly different tackle totals for players.

Does NFL.com only count solo tackles and coaches give tackles for solo and then any tackle that someone is part of in any fashion?

superpunk

Reaction score
dueyhemlock;2431184 said:
Man, we definifely need some safety help next offseason.
To look at it another way, we REALLY need to stop turning the ball over so much.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
aikemirv;2431213 said:
Does 6 fumbles equate to 4 tackles?. Plus you got 7 picks and Tonys fumbles. He has a pretty good percentage given the opportunities.

Was about to post the same thing.