Sportswriters' Mock Draft...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

This time of year, there is no shortage of mock drafts floating around the internet. Chargers.com wanted to do something a little different. We gave NFL writers the opportunity to play general manager. We chose a reporter who covers each team and called them to see how they think things will play out in accordance with the selections their peers made. For example, the Packers writer didn’t give his pick until after seeing who the other writers had taken off the board. What transpired was quite interesting. Check it out.
  1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC – John McClain, Houston Chronicle – Unless agent Joel Segal prices his client out of the top pick, it’s going to be Reggie.
  2. New Orleans Saints – Mario Williams, DE, NC State – Jeff Duncan, New Orleans Times-Picayune – The Saints would love to take A.J. Hawk here, but it’s too high. If they can’t trade down a couple spots, they’ll take Williams, a difference-maker who can make an immediate impact.
  3. Tennessee Titans – Vince Young, QB, Texas – Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean – They want a quarterback and Young reminds them so much of the guy they picked #3 in 1995 – Steve McNair.
  4. New York Jets – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia – Randy Lange, Bergen Record – If Matt Leinart is there, it’s going to be a tough call. I think they like him but don’t love him. There’s been speculation of moving up to two, but I don’t see it happening. Take the offensive tackle to protect the quarterback, whoever that might be.
  5. Green Bay Packers – A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State – Dylan Tomlinson, Appleton Post-Crescent – Vernon Davis is a possibility or they could try to move down, but Hawk will bring leadership and ability to an area of desperate need.
  6. San Francisco 49ers – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland – Nancy Gay, San Francisco Chronicle – This team is in desperate need of playmakers on offense. Eric Johnson can’t stay healthy and their starting receivers right now are Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle.
  7. Oakland Raiders – Michael Huff, DB, Texas – Nancy Gay, San Francisco Chronicle – With Vince Young gone, the Raiders address pressing needs in the secondary by taking Huff. He’s got world-class speed and is a younger, more durable replacement for Charles Woodson.
  8. Buffalo Bills – Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State – Allen Wilson, Buffalo News – I get asked constantly if they’d take Leinart if he’s there, but they’re determined to see if J.P. Losman is a keeper or not. Bunkley is a great fit for this defense. He’s a quick-penetrating lineman and makes the most sense.
  9. Detroit Lions - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon – Mike O’Hara, Detroit News – I don't see how eight teams pass on Matt Leinart, but make it nine. The Lions have their hearts broken with Huff off the board. So they Huff and puff and take Ngata to strengthen their defensive tackle rotation.
  10. Arizona Cardinals – Matt Leinart, QB, USC – Kent Somers, Arizona Republic – The Cardinals would like to take someone who could help them right away, but if Leinart is on the board, they’ll fall to their knees in gratitude. Kurt Warner is 36 so they need a quarterback of the future.
  11. St. Louis Rams – Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State – Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post Dispatch – The Rams would really like to see Huff or Bunkley available, but they love the way Sims explodes to the ball and blows up blockers.
  12. Cleveland Browns – Kamerion Wimbley, OLB/DE, Florida State – Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer – Their greatest need is for a pass rusher in their 3-4 and Wimbley gives them just that.
  13. Baltimore Ravens – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt – Brent Jones, Baltimore Sun – With no backup quarterback on the roster, the Ravens could use one that can also be groomed for the future.
  14. Philadelphia Eagles – Winston Justice, OT, USC – Les Bowen, Philadelphia Daily News – With Bunkley and Ngata gone, the Eagles turn to their offensive line where tackles Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas are both over 30.
  15. Denver Broncos – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis – Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News - Under this scenario they'd give receiver a look, but the value probably isn't there this season, so they turn to a running back or a safety. The best player on the board at this point is Williams.
  16. Miami Dolphins – Chad Jackson, WR, Florida – Alex Marvez, South Florida Sun-Sentinel – The sentiment among most draft analysts is that the Dolphins will select a defensive back with this pick. But after signing four free-agent defensive backs, they may be too tempted by Jackson's potential to pass him up. The Dolphins don't have a bona fide starting wide receiver behind Chris Chambers and Marty Booker, plus the latter may be playing his final season in South Florida.
  17. Minnesota Vikings – Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa – Sean Jensen, St. Paul Pioneer Press – While the Vikings don't have to stretch for any position, linebacker is the most obvious need. Adding an athletic and explosive athlete like Greenway would create great competition at training camp.
  18. Dallas Cowboys – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State – Jacques Taylor, Dallas Morning News – He’s a big, physical linebacker who will create havoc for offenses while playing opposite of DeMarcus Ware.
  19. San Diego Chargers – Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State – Steve Schofield of the North County Times thinks the Chargers will try to trade up to take Winston Justice. His colleague Jay Paris thinks they’ll stay put and take Miami OT Eric Winston to help protect Philip Rivers’ blindside. The Associated Press’ Bernie Wilson also thinks it will be a left tackle, but says it’s Auburn’s Marcus McNeil. Jay Posner and Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune think it’s a cornerback, and both agreed on Florida State’s Antonio Cromartie. Since he was the only player that got two votes, he’s the Chargers’ choice.
  20. Kansas City Chiefs – Manny Lawson, DE, NC State - Adam Teicher, Kansas City Star - The Chiefs need a cornerback, but they can get one of those with their next pick. They won't be able to pass on pass-rush help like this guy.
  21. New England Patriots – Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech – Ron Borges, Boston Globe - With the top linebackers gone, they'll most likely go for a corner and Williams is the best on the board.
  22. San Francisco 49ers – Tye Hill, CB, Clemson – Kevin Lynch, San Francisco Chronicle - The defense really needs help and Hill could help solidify their cornerback situation.
  23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn - Roy Cummings, Tampa Tribune - The Bucs are happy with the tackles they have but they're not overjoyed, especially with RT Kenyatta Walker. They need upgrades and McNeil fits the bill.
  24. Cincinnati Bengals – Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State – Mark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer – The Bengals are in a position to take the best player available, and they apparently have Whitner rated the highest on the draft boards of any available player at this point. They’ll look to take a tight end later.
  25. New York Giants – Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami – Paul Schwartz, New York Post – This would have been a linebacker if the Giants hadn't signed LaVar Arrington, but with him on the roster, that’s no longer a glaring need. Defensive tackle is a consideration here but with the uncertain health of Will Peterson and only one proven veteran CB (Sam Madison), the Giants need another cover corner and historically they love players from the Miami Hurricanes.
  26. Chicago Bears – DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama – Brad Biggs, Chicago Sun-Times – The Bears were able to fill their most glaring need in the secondary Monday when Carolina announced it would not match the offer sheet the team signed Ricky Manning Jr. to. That gives GM Jerry Angelo the chance to select an athletic linebacker like Ryans who can push Hunter Hillenmeyer for the job on the strong side and provide insurance in the event Lance Briggs cannot be re-signed long-term.
  27. Carolina Panthers – Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota – Pat Yasinskas, Charlotte Observer – DeShaun Foster will open the season as the feature back, but his history of injuries leaves the Panthers wanting a strong insurance policy.
  28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Mercedes Lewis, TE, UCLA – Vito Stellino, Florida Times-Union – They’re looking to get Byron Leftwich another big target, and Lewis certainly fits that bill. Running back is another position they’ll take a long look at if there’s value here.
  29. New York Jets – Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama – Dave Hutchinson, Newark Star Ledger – Having already addressed the offensive tackle situation, the Jets go for the quarterback who is slightly under the radar at this point.
  30. Indianapolis Colts – Joseph Addai, RB, LSU – Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star – This may be a little early to take Addai, but because the need is so prevalent following the departure of Edgerrin James, they’ll go ahead and reach a bit and take him.
  31. Seattle Seahawks – Jason Allen, DB, Tennessee – Danny O’Neil, Seattle Post-Intelligencer – President Tim Ruskell generally thinks safety isn't a position that requires a first-round pick, but Allen was expected to be a top-20 pick and if he's there at 31, the Seahawks would get a great value.
  32. Pittsburgh Steelers – LenDale White, RB, USC – Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – The Steelers think he can be the next Bus, and with Willie Parker and Deuce Staley, they have the luxury of working him in slowly.

jbsg02

Reaction score
My deam scenario is to trade back a few picks and pick up a 3rd and still get carpenter or lawson.

I thought his mock was ok until i saw brodie croyle going 29

trickblue

Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
My deam scenario is to trade back a few picks and pick up a 3rd and still get carpenter or lawson.

You would think that, but reports out last night and today say that the Jets are really eyeing him...

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Good Job JJT! I would not be sad at all if it unfolded that way.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
This could be a very accurate mock, although it would be surprising to see the QBs slide like that.

I like the idea of letting the beat writer from each city make a prediction for the team he/she covers.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jbsg02 said:

I think overall it's one of the more realistic mocks I've read.

trickblue

Reaction score
Chief said:
This could be a very accurate mock, although it would be surprising to see the QBs slide like that.

I like the idea of letting the beat writer from each city make a prediction for the he/she covers.
You would think this would be more accurate than most since many beat-writers have the inside info on their respective teams...

cboyd

Reaction score
  1. Dallas Cowboys – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State – Jacques Taylor, Dallas Morning News – He’s a big, physical linebacker who will create havoc for offenses while playing opposite of DeMarcus Ware.
I don't think he will create havoc for offenses, but I think he will be a safe pick.

TheHustler

Reaction score
jbsg02 said:

It's not "his mock". The Jets news writer picked him.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
If Leinart really goes 10 to the Cardinals, does anyone else see a possibility of him being impossible to sign?

The Cards are notoriously cheap, and will resist any attempt to pay him more than a #10 pick is due.

Leinart, meanwhile, will be determined to get paid like a #1 pick no matter where he's drafted. If he takes less money than Alex Smith got last year, I'll be stunned.

This has all the makings of a long-term holdout!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
cboyd said:
  1. Dallas Cowboys – Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State – Jacques Taylor, Dallas Morning News – He’s a big, physical linebacker who will create havoc for offenses while playing opposite of DeMarcus Ware.
I don't think he will create havoc for offenses, but I think he will be a safe pick.
JJT went to Ohio St. He isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to Carpenter. He refused to listen to Rick Gosselin that the Cowboys will take Lawson if he's there.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:

So would I, but NE would jump all over Carpenter with the 21st pick if we traded out. I don't see us trading out because NE would screw us.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
OK, so Oakland passes on Leinhart. I don't believe it.

silver

Reaction score
cboyd said:
JMO, I don't think we'll take a defensive player with our 1st pick. not at 18 anyway. If Cutler falls like that to 13 we might trade up to get him. Baltimore spent a 1st rounder on Kyle Boller in 2003. He was thrown to the wolves and has played so so starting 34 games. I doubt they give up on him so soon. We've given Romo more time to develop than that.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think overall it's one of the more realistic mocks I've read.
Really? I thought this was a bit of a stretch. Probably one of the least likely mocks.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silver said:
Baltimore spent a 1st rounder on Kyle Boller in 2003. He was thrown to the wolves and has played so so starting 34 games. I doubt they give up on him so soon. We've given Romo more time to develop than that.

Baltimore would be drafting Cutler for insurance, since BOller is no sure thing, and he would also be great value there

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Danny White said:
If Leinart really goes 10 to the Cardinals, does anyone else see a possibility of him being impossible to sign?

The Cards are notoriously cheap, and will resist any attempt to pay him more than a #10 pick is due.

Leinart, meanwhile, will be determined to get paid like a #1 pick no matter where he's drafted. If he takes less money than Alex Smith got last year, I'll be stunned.

This has all the makings of a long-term holdout!

No one, not even Reggie Bush is going to get the money that Smith got last year. The new CBA makes it virtually impossible.

silver

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Baltimore would be drafting Cutler for insurance, since BOller is no sure thing, and he would also be great value there
do you think we'll draft a running back in the second round for insurance? say if maroney is there?

Duane

Reaction score
silver said:
do you think we'll draft a running back in the second round for insurance? say if maroney is there?
I don't unless White slips that far.