Sproles broken arm and torn ACL

joseephuss

Reaction score
You don't have to touch it as often if you run farther with it when you do.

I think that plays a part, but his average is helped because he doesn't get the ball in short yardage situations. Those types of situations bring running backs averages down. He only runs the ball 4 times a game and gets 3.1 receptions per game for his career. If his coaches truly believed he could maintain close to 5 yards per carry they would feed him the ball more than 4 times per game. Perhaps not 15 attempts per game, but more than 4. The vast amount of the yardage he has accumulated in his career has come from the return game, which he is very good at doing. He does what he does very well and has been well utilized throughout his career.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Being the classy (under-rated) kind of guy Sproles is, I really think he's going to retire now.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Sproles didn't plan on playing beyond this season. I'm 99.9% sure this is it for him.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Huge fan of Sproles. Just a dynamic unselfish guy, sad to see him end it this way.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Always loved Sproles. Watched him up the road at K-St during his career there. Always thought the Cowboys missed out big time by not trying to get him when he left the Chargers for the Saints.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
I'm not too surprised he hasn't sustained too many big injuries in his career, although he did break his ankle in the pre-season of the 2006 season and missed the entire year. He really has never touched the ball a tremendous amount during his NFL career. He ranks 72nd all-time in touches(rushing, receiving and returns). He averages 167 touches per season. That is a relatively light workload for a running back. He only has 686 career rushing attempts and not many of those are runs up the middle. He has been properly utilized and protected by the teams he has been with, which is the right thing to do with a player his size.
This. Sproles is/was best suited as a scatback. That tends to make it less likely you're gonna get injured.