Spyware Programs

Skeptic

Reaction score
Anybody got a new fix on spyware deletion? I used AdAware until recently when it started picking up on spyware but couldn't delete it.

In shorthand, I'm looking for something a little more powerful or at least is a little more capable of dealing with current ad tech.

Help. Please?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skeptic said:
Anybody got a new fix on spyware deletion? I used AdAware until recently when it started picking up on spyware but couldn't delete it.

In shorthand, I'm looking for something a little more powerful or at least is a little more capable of dealing with current ad tech.

Help. Please?

I have heard that spybot is another program that many like.

I still use adaware and have never had a problem with it removing anything...however I also use the regclean program to remove many things as well.

Reef Engineer

Reaction score
I use adaware, spybot and spyware blaster on my system. I find it interesting that I the first two seem to always leave something that the other can find. The third is for active x programs.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I had popups that would appear on my computer even when I wasn't online. Then whatever it was started reaking havoc with my Outlook.

Our IT guy ran every program (adaware, spybot) and they would all pick up things, but as soon as I deleted them, new stuff would appear. Finally, we just reformatted the harddrive. Drastic but it worked.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
I had popups that would appear on my computer even when I wasn't online. Then whatever it was started reaking havoc with my Outlook.

Our IT guy ran every program (adaware, spybot) and they would all pick up things, but as soon as I deleted them, new stuff would appear. Finally, we just reformatted the harddrive. Drastic but it worked.

Sometimes they leave programs in the registry...that is why I use the registry cleaner program...however if you are not sure what to look for it is something that should not be messed with as it can really screw up your computer.

However Formatting the hard drive is the final solution and is guarenteed to get rid of it all....it also gives you a fresh subscription to your nortons antivirus if your subscriptions have ran out.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Sometimes they leave programs in the registry...that is why I use the registry cleaner program...however if you are not sure what to look for it is something that should not be messed with as it can really screw up your computer.

However Formatting the hard drive is the final solution and is guarenteed to get rid of it all....it also gives you a fresh subscription to your nortons antivirus if your subscriptions have ran out.

BP or anyone, which registry cleaner program do you use? I just downloaded spybot-search and destroy a couple hours ago. I had been using adaware 6.0, but after I would delete stuff it would be right back before the day was over. After downloading spybot and scanning it found 291 items! :eek: If i was online over an hour or left it idle and came back I would have all kinds of programs running that I had no idea what they were. If I click start and run msconfig I have quite a few things that I dont think should be there and dont know what they are. HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I would install these 4 things

Spybot 1.3

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Goto http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

and install SpywareBlaster 3.1 and SpywareGuard 2.2

Then go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

all these are free and work better than most the payed ones.

Trust me on this I keep tabs on this stuff due to work.

What spyblaster does works in cunjction with spybot . Spybot blocks about a 1000 know spywares and checks and cleans them.

Spyware blaster blocks and protects against the active x spyware with out freakin up the active x function you need for a regular web site well over 1500 now

Spyguard is another layer and helps stop the spywares that use cookies (double click and alexia are a few)

I also use adware because I found that sometimes adware will catch one spybot does not clean and vice versa

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
alicetooljam said:
BP or anyone, which registry cleaner program do you use? I just downloaded spybot-search and destroy a couple hours ago. I had been using adaware 6.0, but after I would delete stuff it would be right back before the day was over. After downloading spybot and scanning it found 291 items! :eek: If i was online over an hour or left it idle and came back I would have all kinds of programs running that I had no idea what they were. If I click start and run msconfig I have quite a few things that I dont think should be there and dont know what they are. HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM?

Try here...

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html?tag=list

If that does not work try this link...

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp

When you load the program and run it...make sure you know what should be in there and what should not be in there.

You do not want to delete the wrong thing in the registry as it may mess up your computer some.