Sr Bowl - Thursday update

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
NOT MUCH GOING ON

Senior Bowl - Thursday North Practice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright
President, NFL Draft Countdown

It was a sunny but windy and a little chilly as the North took the field this morning. I'd say 3/4 of the scouts have already left and while it was a laid back session there was still some action to see today.

Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler looked sharp and threw well on the run and in my opinion it was his best performance of the week. The star of the day however was USC tight end Dominique Byrd, who continued to make big plays and was almost dominant in the passing game. The wide receivers dropped a few passes again today but Jason Avant and Derek Hagan looked good at wideout and Maurice Stovall really stood out once again with his ability to make plays across the middle and use his frame to shield defenders. Also, Martin Nance of Miami (OH) has the best ball skills of any player on either team and even with a cornerback in his hip pocket he has a knack for going up and getting the ball. Along the offensive line Davin Joseph of Oklahoma looked good and has real long arms, Ryan O'Callaghan moves a little better than I thought and Charles Spencer really looks big and out of shape.

Along the defensive line Tamba Hali had his best day of the week and beat Jeremy Trueblood to get to the quarterback, Victor Adeyanju looked raw and obviously needs a lot of technique work while Darryl Tapp was neutralized once again. At linebacker Chad Greenway impressed and was fast sideline-to-sideline but did get beat by Lawrence Vickers in coverage while Brian Iwuh made a great play against Dominique Byrd in the end zone. In the secondary Anwar Phillips of Penn St. had a bad day, getting beat numerous times and getting a lot of correction from the coaches and Will Blackmon struggled quite a bit as well. Josh Bullocks of Nebraska continued to display a tremendous ability to get his hands on the ball, David Pittman showed some flashes and Tye Hill had a good day which was highlighted by a big pass breakup against Maurice Stovall.

With so few in attendance there is not a whole lot to report in terms of observations but here are a few. Marvin Lewis and a couple of Bengals scouts paid a lot of attention to the defensive backs while Philadelphia and Tampa Bay had the largest presence of personnel that I noticed. The Cleveland Browns had a long talk with Will Blackmon and walked him off the field, Baltimore spoke with Davin Joseph at length and was also seen with David Pittman and Nick Mangold. The Giants were seen with Nick Mangold, the Bears with Clint Ingram, and Kansas City chatted up Jay Cutler for a bit. Finally, I spoke with Charlie Whitehurt's dad David (who played in the NFL with Green Bay from 1976-1983) and he said Charlie is still not totally healthy and they aren't exactly sure when he will be 100%. This was basically the North's last chance to run plays and really work on the field before the game and overall they looked relatively efficient and I look for them to throw the ball quite a bit on Saturday.

burmafrd

Reaction score
What is it with Pittsburgh and out of shape O linemen?
rumor on spencer is that he is not all that smart.