News: ST: Callahan says he is 'flattered' and 'honored' to be play-caller, says it's still a...

NewsBot

Reaction score
Offensive line coach Bill Callahan said he is “flattered” that owner Jerry Jones has faith in him to call plays and that he will be “honored” to run head coach Jason Garrett’s offense.

“I’m flattered,” Callahan told reporters, who cornered him at Valley Ranch after Jones said he liked his play-caller to have a background in interior offensive line and pass protection.

“As we said a long time ago, everybody has a stake in this,” Callahan said. “It’s a compliment to our staff. I love our staff. I love the way our guys work on the offensive side of the ball. I’m really encouraged. I’m honored. I just want to do the best job for our guys and our team.”

Callahan said the offense remains Garrett’s.

“Jason has placed a lot of trust in the staff,” he said. “He is still involved in the game planning and in the meetings, and rightfully so. He is the head coach. This is his area of expertise. This is his system. So I’m really honored. I’m flattered to be part of this and take on the additional responsibilities of calling the plays in the course of the game.”

Callahan also said Garrett deserves credit for a staff that works well together.

“It’s a real compliment to be on a staff of guys that have worked, extremely hard, and have worked together,” Callahan said. “That’s the essence of this collaboration, is be on the same page, working together, and being ready for situations that can arise and occur within the game. Having that communication and dialogue is important. It’s not one person. It’s everybody. Everybody is involved in these decisions. Everybody has a voice on this offensive staff.

“It’s a real compliment to the staff, it’s a compliment to Jason, and I think he is one of the best play callers around.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...