News: ST: Callahan says Waters showing 'all the explosiveness and strength' of a Pro Bowl guard

NewsBot

Reaction score
Two days in, the Cowboys are already seeing what made Brian Waters a six-time Pro Bowler and two-time All Pro.

Even rusty as he is.

“Even though he’s working himself in shape, you could see all the traits come alive on the practice field,” offensive coordinator and line coach Bill Callahan said Thursday at Valley Ranch. “Interesting, he worked in individual yesterday and he worked individual period again today. Within that, we did some competitive drills against the defensive line, and you could see all the explosiveness and strength that a Pro Bowl-caliber guard has.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...

dallasdave

Reaction score
Two days in, the Cowboys are already seeing what made Brian Waters a six-time Pro Bowler and two-time All Pro.

Even rusty as he is.

“Even though he’s working himself in shape, you could see all the traits come alive on the practice field,” offensive coordinator and line coach Bill Callahan said Thursday at Valley Ranch. “Interesting, he worked in individual yesterday and he worked individual period again today. Within that, we did some competitive drills against the defensive line, and you could see all the explosiveness and strength that a Pro Bowl-caliber guard has.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...

A great signing.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Funny he used the term "competitive drills" and thats the same term that JG used when decribing how Bass got injured.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
They had to have a handshake deal in place for Waters to basically skip camp and be ready for week 1.

I imagine he isn't in terrible shape and has known for a couple months now he'd be starting for a legit contender in Dallas.

Aven8

Reaction score
We might have to out score a lot of teams this season so bring it on!

If we can just be like the Saints a couple of years ago and give up yards, but get TO's on top of a top 5 offense we will be ok.

FiveTime

Reaction score
They had to have a handshake deal in place for Waters to basically skip camp and be ready for week 1.

I imagine he isn't in terrible shape and has known for a couple months now he'd be starting for a legit contender in Dallas.

My thoughts exactly

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
LT: I think Tyron can be a slightly better than average starting left tackle.
LG: I think Leary can be an average starting left guard, and I'm fine with that.
C: I think Frederick, even in his rookie season, could be a slightly better than average center.
RG: I think Waters, even as old as he is, can be a top 10 or better right guard, which is great.
RT: I think Free can be a slightly below average right tackle, which is fine.

Put them all together and I think it's a solid offensive line. The best that Dallas has had in years. Maybe slightly better than average. I'm pretty excited about it. :)

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
That's what this defense is predicated on. Give up yards, force turnovers. The more plays you let the opposing offense run, the more opportunities you have to force turnovers.

brymatt94

Reaction score
LG: I think Leary can be an average starting left guard, and I'm fine with that.
C: I think Frederick, even in his rookie season, could be a slightly better than average center.
RG: I think Waters, even as old as he is, can be a top 10 or better right guard, which is great.

Put them all together and I think it's a solid offensive line. The best that Dallas has had in years. Maybe slightly better than average. I'm pretty excited about it. :)

I agree, and if they draft a solid guard in the first few rounds next year to take over for Waters, we could be set for a decade.

dfan32

Reaction score
That's what this defense is predicated on. Give up yards, force turnovers. The more plays you let the opposing offense run, the more opportunities you have to force turnovers.

I'm not real fond of your exact wording here. Turnovers are great but not if they're always inside your own 20. lol

gdogg24

Reaction score
I'm not real fond of your exact wording here. Turnovers are great but not if they're always inside your own 20. lol

Imagine how frustrating that would be for the other teams?

dfan32

Reaction score
Imagine how frustrating that would be for the other teams?

Oh man, it would be the most entertaining game I've ever watched if say the Cowboy's took the ball from the Giants every time they got in the redzone.!! But I'd prefer not letting them get to the redzone in order to make that happen. LOL

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You think Tyron Smith can be a "slightly better than average" left tackle? That's just absolutely ridiculous. Tyron Smith has all the tools and potential to be an elite left tackle. If he improves through this season as much as he did last, he will finish the season a solidified top-10 offensive lineman.

I just don't even get the people who are down on Smith. It makes absolutely no sense. He was very very good the last eight weeks last season.

sbark

Reaction score

Free has his better yr at RT with a savy vet Kosier beside him.......here's to hoping Waters can have the same effect on him