News: ST: Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee puts it on himself to learn the 4-3 'inside and out' and be...

NewsBot

Reaction score
Sean Lee said he still has to learn the details of playing the 4-3 defense, now that the Cowboys are set to go with that attack under new defensive coordinator in Monte Kiffin.

“Mastering it inside and out is my goal,” the fourth-year Cowboys linebacker said last week at the end of OTAs.

So he, and the rest of the defense, has to forget a lot of the 3-4 defense (and its variations) they played for two years under Rob Ryan. But that’s OK with Lee – he figures the more defense he learns, the better.

“I see it as a positive,” he said. “I’ve been with three defensive coordinators in Coach Phillips, Rob Ryan and Coach Kiffin. I see it as an opportunity to learn more defense. You take the great things you learn from every coordinator with you, and then you try to continue to learn. I’m going to try to continue to learn with Coach Kiffin. I don’t see it as an issue at all. I think Coach Kiffin, it’s been very easy to learn. He coaches with passion. He has an unbelievable knowledge. So for me, it’s just another opportunity to work with a great coach.”

Lee said the 4-3 may or may not be suited for him, but it doesn’t matter. He said he has to be good in it, no matter what.

“Any position you put me in, whether it’s in the 3-4, 4-3, middle linebacker, outside linebacker, I’m going to have to find a way to be successful,” he said. “I think I can be successful in this position. I’ve played certain aspects before, but there’s stuff I need to get better at. For me, I’ve got to know my job inside and out really well, which I think I can get.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...