News: ST: Cowboys spent week trying to simulate Eagles' pace, might use play wristbands on defensive...

NewsBot

Reaction score
Cowboys linebacker Bruce Carter said some of the defensive players might wear wristbands with the calls on them to help get the defense organized against Philadelphia’s tempo offense.

“That’s their scheme, to get guys tired, get them thinking too much,” Carter said Friday at Valley Ranch, after a week of practice in which the Cowboys tried hard to simulate the pace of the Eagles’ offense.

Safety Barry Church said the Cowboys used two scout teams on offense, shuttling in to get snaps off within 15 seconds.

Carter said it made a difference.

“Wednesday, we were kind of rough,” he said. “But as the week went on, we got used to it. … We actually sped it up to where we can get it between 10 and 15 seconds, so when we get in the game, it’ll actually be a lot slower than what we’re used to in practice.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I'm not sure how having two scout teams on offense was better than just having one. Wouldn't having the same offense on the field help the offense snap the ball with less time in between plays? (no need to get off and on the field.)

Unless it was to keep the offense fresh while the defense didn't get to rest.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I'm not sure how having two scout teams on offense was better than just having one. Wouldn't having the same offense on the field help the offense snap the ball with less time in between plays? (no need to get off and on the field.)

Actually could just line up the second unit instead of waiting for receivers, etc to run back. Other than that I'm not sure how it was ran or purpose to use two.

Fredd

Reaction score
having two teams, you guarantee that you get the 2nd play off fast...it doesn't matter if someone kicks the ball away, or a player doesn't get back quickly enough to run another play...

Galian Beast

Reaction score

I think having the second offense there allows them to go full bore the entire time. The second offense already has a play called for the next down.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Good thing the Cowboys practiced this system. Should try it themselves on offensive, give it a go.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
well at least they're not ignorantly avoiding the fact that Philly goes up-tempo.

the execution may still not be there as far as coverages and line stunts go, but they can't blame it on lack of preparation.

dallasdave

Reaction score
well at least they're not ignorantly avoiding the fact that Philly goes up-tempo.

the execution may still not be there as far as coverages and line stunts go, but they can't blame it on lack of preparation.

Hope the Cowboys are ready and waitin !