News: ST: DeMarcus Ware says the new defense under Monte Kiffin will make him, Cowboys more effective

NewsBot

Reaction score
It was a simple enough question to DeMarcus Ware considering the changes the Cowboys made on defense, starting the hiring of 73-year old Monte Kiffin to replace Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator.
"When you have guy that comes in the age sometimes doesn't matter its the rebirth of having new guys, a new team and teaching you philosophy," Ware said. "With him coming in and teaching us a different deal, it fees like he has a new birth. So the age is not a problem. It's us learning what we need to do and doing it effectively."
Basically, for Ware, it's not about Kiffin it's about him and rest of his teammates picking up the new defense and getting it down. Kiffin and new defensive tackle coach Rod Marinelli have nothing to prove as they already have skins on the wall from their manyyears in the league and their success together in leading the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a Super Bowl title in 2002.
"They are really really great coaches and have the heritage of playing the Tampa Two, playing different coverages, having great pass rush and guys that get pressure and get turnovers," Ware said. "That's what this defensive is predicated on. We had 16 turnovers last year and each team they have in the past have consistently gotten 35 to 40 turnovers. We are trying to get that."
Ware said he's excited about the new defense because its simple and it allows the players to be more aggressive. He said the Cowboys are already seeing a difference in practices now.
"I'm real excited with the way that we are playing," Ware said. "Guy aren't thinking so much. They aren't a lot of mistakes. When we go through each day there is a chart we go through on how many mistakes we made, how many turnovers, how many missed plays. There aren't a lot of missed plays and lot of errors. we are making more plays and getting more turnovers. I think that is what we needed."
It also may be what Ware needed after an injury-plagued season of a year ago when only 2.5 of his 11.5 sacks came in the last eight games of the season.
The new defense taking the thinking about of the equation for Ware as gets to do what he does best all the time: rush the quarterback.
Ware, who will be 31 when the season starts, said it's a rejuvenating proposition for an aging pass rusher as he moves from linebacker in the 3-4 to defensive end.
"I think so," Ware said. "I just think the terminology of the mind in the 3-4 you had to think a lot. Now I don't have to think about who I have to cover. It's about being aggressive and getting to the quarterback. That makes more you effective, give you more opportunities."
So getting more opportunities and being more effective should result in Ware making another run at the NFL single season sack record of 22.5 and regaining the title of the league's best pass rusher from San Francisco's Aldon Smith and Denver's Von Miller. Ware had 20 in 2008 and 19.5 in 2011. He has also won two single season sack titles.
"I don't know about that, it should just help me be more effective and get to the quarterback," Ware said with a smile and wink.
"I haven't gone any where," Ware added.
Clarence Hill

Continue reading...