News: ST: Spencer is one of six starters to sit out all or part of Tuesday's minicamp

NewsBot

Reaction score
Defensive end Anthony Spencer hopes to do more Wednesday as he recovers from a hyperextended left knee. Spencer injured his knee during the team's organized team activities last week, but an MRI showed only a bone bruise.

"It could have been a lot worse," Spencer said. "...I was running to the ball. I was trying to get out of the way of somebody, and they kneed me and my leg was in the ground, and it just hyperextended."

Spencer was one of several players missing in action Tuesday as the Cowboys were on the field for the first day of their three-day mandatory minicamp. Five other starters did not participate in all or part of the drills.

Quarterback Tony Romo had surgery in April to remove a cyst from his back. He had hoped to participate in the minicamp, but his absence is a precaution. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware (shoulder) and offensive guard Mackenzy Bernadeau (shoulder) participated in the individual portion of practice. Offensive guard Nate Livings (knee) and cornerback Morris Claiborne (migraine) didn't practice at all. Alex Albright, who is fighting for a starting linebacker job, also missed with an ankle injury.

Receiver Dwayne Harris sprained his right ankle during practice, but he anticipates trying to practice Wednesday.

Running back Joseph Randle (thumb), fullback Lawrence Vickers (back) and offensive tackle Jermey Parnell (hamstring) still are rehabbing.

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...