News: ST: What are the Cowboys going to do with Darren McFadden?

Toro9

Reaction score
Cowboys Corner
August 29, 2016 2:13 PM

What are the Cowboys going to do with Darren McFadden?

Cowboys Corner Blog
The latest news and notes about the Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden was fourth in the NFL in rushing last season. Max Faulkner mfaulkner@star-telegram.com
By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

FRISCO
Running back Darren McFadden remains hopeful that he’ll be ready for the Dallas Cowboys’ regular season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 11.

That is a much better scenario than starting the season on the non-football injury list, which would mean he would be out for at least six weeks.

“I definitely hope not [to be on the NFI list to start the season],” said McFadden, who has been on the NFI list since training camp opened last month.

“For me, I try to block it out of my mind and just go day to day for it.”

McFadden, 29, has yet to practice since undergoing right elbow surgery earlier this off-season. He doesn’t have a timetable to return to practice yet, but isn’t ready to rule himself for the season opener.

“Would love to be [ready by then],” McFadden said. “Right now, it’s coming along great for me. I’m working hard and it’s a day to day thing.

“The trainers are trying to get me back healthy and get me right, so taking it day to day and going off what they say.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article98634817.html

Toro9

Reaction score
It's an interesting scenario with McFadden. I would say trade him but: A) You can't trade an injured player; B) What do you do? Keep him on the roster to wait for him to get healthy so you can trade him? If so, who do you risk losing so you can use that roster spot? It would suck to just cut him because he is a valuable player but I also think with his running style, mileage, age and injury history he could be an odd man out. Honestly, if we are keeping Morris (and is there anyone who thinks we aren't?) I'd rather have Jackson, or even Dunbar, than McFadden. Safe thing might be to just give him his walking papers.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dude has an elbow injury in the offseason and still not ready to practice. I want guys healthy on the team and McFadden hadn't shown he can stay healthy......2 out of 8 seasons healthy isn't good enough. Time to move on, tired of guys that seem to not practice or play in games take roster spots over guys that are healthy and can contribute.

You can be the greatest player ever but if you can't be counted on to help the team we don't need you

superonyx

Reaction score
He will stay on the team like he should.
The guy did just have 4.6 ypc, over 1000 yards and was 4th in the league in rushing while not really getting many carries for several weeks.

Darius hasn't show enough to toss McFadden aside. Mcafadden is a pro who knows how to pass block and if Zeke or Morris were to go down would be able to step in and contribute immediately.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy did just have 4.6 ypc, over 1000 yards and was 4th in the league in rushing while not really getting many carries for several weeks.

Darius hasn't show enough to toss McFadden aside. Mcafadden is a pro who knows how to pass block and if Zeke or Morris were to go down would be able to step in and contribute immediately.

Not accurate.

The fact is that the guy can't do anything "immediately", the least of which is set foot on the field. He's missed the entirety of training camp without a single practice, but he "would be able to step in an contribute immediately"?

No.

He's starting this season on NFI - thanks to his own screw-up - or he's looking for a job on somebody else's roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post. But for some reason, people fail to see and understand this, fail to want to see and understand this, don't want to see and understand this.
They let their dislike for him and all the past stuff get in the way. His salary is cheap for such a good insurance policy too, though they don't want to see that either.
They will say Jackson, a 6th round draft pick who hasn't really shown a lot, is better. But yet some say, Morris may start the season over Zeke, because he is a rookie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post. But for some reason, people fail to see and understand this, fail to want to see and understand this, don't want to see and understand this.
They let their dislike for him and all the past stuff get in the way. His salary is cheap for such a good insurance policy too, though they don't want to see that either.
They will say Jackson, a 6th round draft pick who hasn't really shown a lot, is better. But yet some say, Morris may start the season over Zeke, because he is a rookie.

Says the guy who just blocks anybody that isn't in lock-step with his own opinions.

Pot meet kettle.

:rolleyes:

"Forum for one, please!"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's an interesting scenario with McFadden. I would say trade him but: A) You can't trade an injured player; B) What do you do? Keep him on the roster to wait for him to get healthy so you can trade him? If so, who do you risk losing so you can use that roster spot? It would suck to just cut him because he is a valuable player but I also think with his running style, mileage, age and injury history he could be an odd man out. Honestly, if we are keeping Morris (and is there anyone who thinks we aren't?) I'd rather have Jackson, or even Dunbar, than McFadden. Safe thing might be to just give him his walking papers.

It does no harm to keep him on NFI as opposed to get releasing him.
He has had 2 16 game healthy seasons now, he is not ancient, he is what 28 or 29, so by that he has a good 2 to 3 years left at least.
If he is on the roster, you need to have 6 inactives anyway, he would just be an inactive until he is ready to play.
He doesn't have a lot of mileage on him as people think.
Jackson is not ready yet, he needs to learn NFL pass protections better. He has not done anything, that we seen anyway, to make himself stand out to be kept over DMC. I do like what little he has shown, as for his speed, quickness. But unless he just wowed the coaches in practice. Which I have not seen in many reports. IMO, he is still PS bound.

superonyx

Reaction score
Not accurate.

The fact is that the guy can't do anything "immediately", the least of which is set foot on the field. He's missed the entirety of training camp without a single practice, but he "would be able to step in an contribute immediately"?

No.

He's starting this season on NFI - thanks to his own screw-up - or he's looking for a job on somebody else's roster.

I have not read anything that says he won't be back for week 1. Obviously I was speaking to immediately during the season. This scenario would only play out in the case of injury to Elliott or Morris. Then McFadden would get the carries.

So he will be able to step in immediately and contribute effectively in running, catching, and pass blocking.

Darius Jackson just hasn't impressed to the point where he is taking the job of the NFL's 4th leading rusher from a year ago who just so happens to average 4.6ypc with no passing game to keep defenses honest. Remember those games where Weeden and Cassell were throwing for 150 yards....McFadden was still productive.

He is the best 3rd option regardless of how excited some people get over Darius.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not read anything that says he won't be back for week 1. Obviously I was speaking to immediately during the season. This scenario would only play out in the case of injury to Elliott or Morris. Then McFadden would get the carries.

So he will be able to step in immediately and contribute effectively in running, catching, and pass blocking.

Again, no he won't. The guy hasn't had a single practice, and the season is less than two weeks away. You don't just step foot on the field ready to go. That's why they have these 'training camp things' for two months before and for weeks before that.

Darius Jackson just hasn't impressed to the point where he is taking the job of the NFL's 4th leading rusher from a year ago who just so happens to average 4.6ypc with no passing game to keep defenses honest. Remember those games where Weeden and Cassell were throwing for 150 yards....McFadden was still productive.

He is the best 3rd option regardless of how excited some people get over Darius.

He's no option right now. None at all. He would have to actually practice for several weeks before he could see the field, and practice #1 has yet to happen for him.

What have you done for me lately? Oh, that's right, nothing. Nothing at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Zeke's blocking looked really good.

If Romo would've trusted it he would still be playing.

I'm a McFadden fan but I don't see any reason to keep him now.

haleyrules

Reaction score
It seems to me that he wont draw much trade interest with his history of injuries and at 30 yrs old. My guess is the club will release him and go with Morris and the young guys. That makes sense.

superonyx

Reaction score
Again, no he won't. The guy hasn't had a single practice, and the season is less than two weeks away. You don't just step foot on the field ready to go. That's why they have these 'training camp things' for two months before and for weeks before that.

He's no option right now. None at all. He would have to actually practice for several weeks before he could see the field, and practice #1 has yet to happen for him.

What have you done for me lately? Oh, that's right, nothing. Nothing at all.
McFadden will be ready week 1.
He has been around this league for a few years.
Where do you even get this notion that he needs a few weeks of practice to be able to play?
You do realize he would be an insurance policy that most likely won't even be active unless Morris or Zek gets injured?
There is zero reason to believe McFadden won't be ready and zero reason to believe he won't be on the team.

I'm not sure you are even being serious. What do you supposed he would need to do in practice for 3 weeks before we could step in and play?.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McFadden will be ready week 1.
He has been around this league for a few years.
Where do you even get this notion that he needs a few weeks of practice to be able to play?

Seriously? You think these guys just get out of bed and hit the field?

You do realize he would be an insurance policy that most likely won't even be active unless Morris or Zek gets injured?
There is zero reason to believe McFadden won't be ready and zero reason to believe he won't be on the team.

I'm not sure you are even being serious. What do you supposed he would need to do in practice for 3 weeks before we could step in and play?.

Yes. Yes I do. Far more than simply getting out of bed and doing it.

:facepalm:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hopefully we can put him on NFI and wait six weeks to see if we or another team has an injury to make him valuable to us or in a trade!

superonyx

Reaction score
Seriously? You think these guys just get out of bed and hit the field?

Yes. Yes I do. Far more than simply getting out of bed and doing it.

:facepalm:

Oh....I didn't realize that McFadden elbow meant he has been sleeping for the last month.
It's a shame he hasn't been running and staying in shape.

I guess he will need to learn the playbook and get back on a better sleep schedule.

Cut him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh....I didn't realize that McFadden elbow meant he has been sleeping for the last month.
It's a shame he hasn't been running and staying in shape.

I guess he will need to learn the playbook and get back on a better sleep schedule.

Cut him.

Reductio ad absurdum.

Look it up if you don't know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully we can put him on NFI and wait six weeks to see if we or another team has an injury to make him valuable to us or in a trade!

That's the smartest move. Keep your options open.
:thumbup: