News: ST: What are the Cowboys going to do with Darren McFadden?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tried to look it up.

But the only results were this video of McFadden going for over 150 yards against the Giants last year.

Stick to watching highlights from the past then. There's some great stuff from the early '90's too. Just don't watch any games that are actually happening today.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think one issue that helps land McFadden somewhere outside of Dallas is the fact that he doesn't play special teams. Jackson does, and does so pretty darn well.

superonyx

Reaction score
Stick to watching highlights from the past then. There's some great stuff from the early '90's too. Just don't watch any games that are actually happening today.

why-do-we-yawn-funny.jpeg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which RB is the best option for a trade? Dunbar, Jackson or McF? And if Zeke or Alfred gets injured, which RB do you want as the relief back?

Both Zeke and Alfred are contact backs so a good 3rd back is a necessity and Jackson hasn't really shown anything and Dunbar can't stay healthy. And there is that AR connection with Booger & Son.

I think it will come down to if he can be ready for 9/11.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It does no harm to keep him on NFI as opposed to get releasing him.
He has had 2 16 game healthy seasons now, he is not ancient, he is what 28 or 29, so by that he has a good 2 to 3 years left at least.
If he is on the roster, you need to have 6 inactives anyway, he would just be an inactive until he is ready to play.
He doesn't have a lot of mileage on him as people think.
Jackson is not ready yet, he needs to learn NFL pass protections better. He has not done anything, that we seen anyway, to make himself stand out to be kept over DMC. I do like what little he has shown, as for his speed, quickness. But unless he just wowed the coaches in practice. Which I have not seen in many reports. IMO, he is still PS bound.
Yes Jackson can get better at everything but you talk like he can't pass block which is a lie. I can tell when someone hasn't watched him this preseason with things like her can't pass block

Satchel89

Reaction score
Fan of McFadden but Morris has looked good and I think they like Jackson and Dunbar is practicing now. He just looks like the odd man out at this point

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not read anything that says he won't be back for week 1. Obviously I was speaking to immediately during the season. This scenario would only play out in the case of injury to Elliott or Morris. Then McFadden would get the carries.

So he will be able to step in immediately and contribute effectively in running, catching, and pass blocking.

Darius Jackson just hasn't impressed to the point where he is taking the job of the NFL's 4th leading rusher from a year ago who just so happens to average 4.6ypc with no passing game to keep defenses honest. Remember those games where Weeden and Cassell were throwing for 150 yards....McFadden was still productive.

He is the best 3rd option regardless of how excited some people get over Darius.
I like McFadden, but the Cowboys really don't like to have a 3rd RB that does not play Special Teams. They've had Jackson playing on multiple ST units.

I'm sure McFadden is in shape, but he is a guy that needs to be worked in to practice slowly or he'll get an injury. IMO, a big part of the reason that Randle was the starter at the beginning of last season was because they wanted to ease McFadden into action and minimize his chance of getting injured. It worked, because he had one of his healthiest seasons.

Personally, I would lean towards keeping him on NFI if that's an option.

The other consideration is that they would save 2M by cutting or trading him. It's not much really, but Stephen Jones has shown to be a bit of a penny-pincher in recent years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The most prudent move would be to put McFadden on the six-week IR (forget the specific name). That way it buys you time from having to make a rash roster move. Not to mention it provides you insurance in case one of these RBs goes down in the first 6 weeks which is always a likelihood.

bodi

Reaction score
We had to use a different blocking scheme with McFadden. Got away from the zone blocking scheme we used with murray. -

Our OL specializes in the zone blocking scheme. Here are McFadden's numbers, split.

Zone Runs: 183-668 (3.65 per)
Man Runs: 56-442 (7.53 per).

Morris with a Zone blocking team in Washington

I MO I keep it

Zeke
Morris
Jackson

no DMAC or Dunbar