News: Star Evaluation: Pivotal Year For Taco Charlton

CCBoy

Reaction score
Star Evaluation: Pivotal Year For Taco Charlton
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/star-evaluation-pivotal-year-for-taco-charlton

What’s Been Good:* A first-round pick two years ago, Charlton has shown flashes as a down-to-down pass rusher, particularly in the first month of the 2018 season with a heavy snap count. He also made strides as run defender last season, tying for third on the team with four tackles for loss. “He, like a lot of players, is a work in progress. He’s still a developmental player,” head coach Jason Garrett said last week at the NFL Combine. “He’s done some good things. But he has to continue to take the next step.”

What’s Been Bad:
Charlton suffered a shoulder injury in Week 9 against Tennessee and missed five of the next six games. The injury set him back in the rotation down the stretch and he played limited snaps in the Cowboys’ two playoff games. By the end of the season, Randy Gregory had stepped in as the primary rusher from the right side.

2018 Highlight: Charlton’s most productive game was a critical one: Week 2 against the Giants with Dallas trying to avoid an 0-2 hole. He got his first and only sack of the season when he dropped quarterback Eli Manning for a 10-yard loss, forcing a punt. In the third quarter, he recovered a fumble that led to a Cowboys score in an eventual 20-13 victory at AT&T Stadium.

What’s Next: At least for now, Gregory’s indefinite NFL suspension is a blow to the defensive line’s depth. (Gregory rotated with Charlton at right end last season and finished second on defense in sacks.) Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said last week it’s “not impossible” to think Gregory could be reinstated by Week 1, but at the moment, Charlton is the team’s most experienced full-time defensive end behind DeMarcus Lawrence. The Cowboys need him to take a step forward in 2019.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
To be fair to taco dlaw didnt do anything his first 3 years. On the Plus side is taco has no suspensions or serious injuries either.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He has an entitlement problem... he wants more snaps and thinks he should start— but the production is simply not their.

Not only has he been a flat out bust as a first round pick, he thinks he is much more talented and worthy than he is in reality.

The NFL is full of divas. Most of them are talented and produce on the field at least. Taco sulks and pouts and has shown me he is not interested in putting in the time, dedication, and effort to maximize his ceiling.

He’s made his roster spot all about himself— and it should be about doing everything he can do to help the team (Ty Crawford may not be the most talented guy— but he is a team guy at least).

I hope Taco grows up and helps us bc we are desperate for some help along the DL—- but I won’t hold my breath.